Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dramer77
  • 1 Post By Dramer77
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default No mobile data when on the phone AT&T

    Got my Nexus 4 in the mail today and plugged in my SIM. I am on ATT coming from an S3. For some reason I cannot talk on the phone and use mobile data at the same time. If I am on the phone, it tells me I have no data connection. I have never had a problem with this before using an iPhone or the S3.

    Note: I did change my APN settings to the ones recommended by some users on the forum.

    What gives? Any ideas?
  2. #2  
    captsoto's Avatar

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

    Default Re: No mobile data when on the phone AT&T

    I read it does not do voice and data at the same time.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: No mobile data when on the phone AT&T

    Quote Originally Posted by captsoto View Post
    I read it does not do voice and data at the same time.
    That can't be right...
  4. #4  
    captsoto's Avatar

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

    Default Re: No mobile data when on the phone AT&T

    This was in another thread.
    No simultaneous voice and data on the nexus 4
  5. #5  

    Default Re: No mobile data when on the phone AT&T

    Data and calls work for me at the same time. I don't know if this is the reason, but when I went to ATT to get my new sim card, they needed the IMEI number. I was told it was so I could use my data plan. No idea if its true.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: No mobile data when on the phone AT&T

    Quote Originally Posted by Xelion View Post
    Data and calls work for me at the same time. I don't know if this is the reason, but when I went to ATT to get my new sim card, they needed the IMEI number. I was told it was so I could use my data plan. No idea if its true.
    So after messing around with my APN settings a bit I do have it working. My speeds normally are around 3-6 download. However, when I'm on a call they drop down to like 500 kbs or lower. So I basically cant load any pages, or it takes me quite a while to.

    I am switching from an S3 so I have an lte data plan. When I called ATT and gave them my IMEI, they told me it is a 2g phone and could only put a 2g plan on it...

    I am a little disappointed because on my previous androids and iphones I could always talk and surf, and now I can't. I really need this functionality in order to work, etc.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: No mobile data when on the phone AT&T

    Quote Originally Posted by Xelion View Post
    Data and calls work for me at the same time. I don't know if this is the reason, but when I went to ATT to get my new sim card, they needed the IMEI number. I was told it was so I could use my data plan. No idea if its true.
    Did they put you on a basic smartphone plan or a 4g plan? And did you change your APN settings or use he default

    Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: No mobile data when on the phone AT&T

    Quote Originally Posted by Dramer77 View Post
    Did they put you on a basic smartphone plan or a 4g plan? And did you change your APN settings or use he default

    Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums
    I am on the 4g plan that I've had since buying my GS3. The default APN settings worked for mobile data (cingular.wap or something), but not for data while on a call, but they were very slow.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: No mobile data when on the phone AT&T

    Quote Originally Posted by mdandashly View Post
    So after messing around with my APN settings a bit I do have it working. My speeds normally are around 3-6 download. However, when I'm on a call they drop down to like 500 kbs or lower. So I basically cant load any pages, or it takes me quite a while to.

    I am switching from an S3 so I have an lte data plan. When I called ATT and gave them my IMEI, they told me it is a 2g phone and could only put a 2g plan on it...

    I am a little disappointed because on my previous androids and iphones I could always talk and surf, and now I can't. I really need this functionality in order to work, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramer77 View Post
    Did they put you on a basic smartphone plan or a 4g plan? And did you change your APN settings or use he default

    Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums
    It is still unlimited 4g. I had this same plan on my HTC inspire 4g, so nothing had to change. Although, when I went in and they said they needed to activate my phone, I made it very clear that I wanted nothing changed to my plan. No contract renewal. No nothing. Just a sim card that would work. She said that's all she was doing anyways. It is slow while on my phone when I'm talking, so I'm not sure what that is about. Also, if you have to upgrade your data plan, then good luck keeping unlimited if that's what you have.
  10. #10  
    jd914's Avatar

    Posts
    696 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,268 Global Posts

    Default Re: No mobile data when on the phone AT&T

    Quote Originally Posted by captsoto View Post
    I read it does not do voice and data at the same time.
    That's misinformation, I tested this various times and the N4 does data and voice simultaneously. I'm on ATT LTE unlimited Data plan.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Nexus 7, Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC M8 Developer edition =)
  11. #11  

    Default Re: No mobile data when on the phone AT&T

    Quote Originally Posted by Xelion View Post
    It is still unlimited 4g. I had this same plan on my HTC inspire 4g, so nothing had to change. Although, when I went in and they said they needed to activate my phone, I made it very clear that I wanted nothing changed to my plan. No contract renewal. No nothing. Just a sim card that would work. She said that's all she was doing anyways. It is slow while on my phone when I'm talking, so I'm not sure what that is about. Also, if you have to upgrade your data plan, then good luck keeping unlimited if that's what you have.
    What APN setting did you use

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  12. #12  

    Default Re: No mobile data when on the phone AT&T

    Quote Originally Posted by Dramer77 View Post
    What APN setting did you use

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Default.

    Name: ATT WAP
    APN: wap.cingular
    Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    Port: 80
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    Server: cingulargprs.com
    MMSC:
    MMS proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    MMS port: not set
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication type: Not set
    APN type: default,supl,mms
    APN protocol: IPv4
    APN roaming protocol: IPv4
    APN enabled
    Bearer: unspecified
    Last edited by Xelion; 12-07-2012 at 09:57 AM.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: No mobile data when on the phone AT&T

    Quote Originally Posted by Xelion View Post
    Default.

    Name: ATT WAP
    APN: wap.cingular
    Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    Port: 80
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    Server: cingulargprs.com
    MMSC:
    MMS proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    MMS port: not set
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication type: Not set
    APN type: default,supl,mms
    APN protocol: IPv4
    APN roaming protocol: IPv4
    APN enabled
    Bearer: unspecified
    Well that could be one problem.. Your using basic smartphone setting which are actually wrong... Did you make sure they changed your plan to the proper smartphone 4G plan?

    Here's a screenshot of the proper settings, I've seen some people giving out the wrong settings to people on here..

    Create a new APN and use these settings.. Then make sure you click the circle on the right to select it after you save it and back out... Then restart your phone

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No mobile data when on the phone AT&T-uploadfromtaptalk1354895147276.jpg   No mobile data when on the phone AT&T-uploadfromtaptalk1354895160659.jpg   No mobile data when on the phone AT&T-uploadfromtaptalk1354895181135.jpg  
    Thanked by:
    Phil Nickinson likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: No mobile data when on the phone AT&T

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No mobile data when on the phone AT&T-uploadfromtaptalk1354895388188.jpg  
    Thanked by:
    Phil Nickinson likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: No mobile data when on the phone AT&T

    Quote Originally Posted by Dramer77 View Post
    Well that could be one problem.. Your using basic smartphone setting which are actually wrong... Did you make sure they changed your plan to the proper smartphone 4G plan?

    Here's a screenshot of the proper settings, I've seen some people giving out the wrong settings to people on here..

    Create a new APN and use these settings.. Then make sure you click the circle on the right to select it after you save it and back out... Then restart your phone

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    I'm not having a problem other than slower data while talking on the phone. But that seems better than no data while talking. Will changing my APN cause that? And I'm pretty sure I have the 4g smartphone data plan. It doesn't specifically say 4g, but it says my data plan required unlimited data before upgrading to the 4g device. Pics below.

    Edit: Well speedtest works now. Forgot to mention that. It would show 0 download and ~1mbps upload. Now it shows 5.3mpbs download. So I guess those APN settings make some difference. Thanks! Limited testing seems to show data only working during phone calls when the other person isn't speaking. But it could just be weird timing.


  16. #16  

    Default Re: No mobile data when on the phone AT&T

    Quote Originally Posted by Xelion View Post
    I'm not having a problem other than slower data while talking on the phone. But that seems better than no data while talking. Will changing my APN cause that? And I'm pretty sure I have the 4g smartphone data plan. It doesn't specifically say 4g, but it says my data plan required unlimited data before upgrading to the 4g device. Pics below.

    Edit: Well speedtest works now. Forgot to mention that. It would show 0 download and ~1mbps upload. Now it shows 5.3mpbs download. So I guess those APN settings make some difference. Thanks! Limited testing seems to show data only working during phone calls when the other person isn't speaking. But it could just be weird timing.


    Yes the APN setting make a huge difference, and your not on a 4 G plan that's a basic smartphone plan, which will only give you HSPA not hspa+... you need to get them to switch it to a 4g HSPA+ smartphone plan... for some reason when the nexus imei is entered into the system at att it only pulls up a basic smartphone plan.. the basic CS rep will prob have issues with this, higher tier reps have the ability to just change plans at will, or managers at att corporate stores...once you get the right plan provisioned you speeds will likely almost double... I've seen 8.89DL on mine at my house...

    Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums
  17. #17  

    Default Re: No mobile data when on the phone AT&T

    Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a tablet from China on the AT&T 3G network? I have a sim on a 3GB 4GLTE Tablet plan but can only get 2G throughput. Thoughts?

Similar Threads

  1. Screen turns off when on the phone
    By xaerospace in forum Verizon Droid Charge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-09-2011, 05:22 PM
  2. No mobile data connection on thunderbolt. Wife's incredible working fine.
    By RubberToRoad in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-06-2011, 12:38 AM
  3. Where Do Ringtones and Apps Get Store At On The Phone If You Dont Have A Memory Card?
    By Slick Finger Flicker in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 05:28 PM
  4. internet and being on the phone at the same time...
    By Youssef7 in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-31-2010, 12:21 AM
  5. Any idea on the upcoming AT&T HTC phone
    By tjp888 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-23-2010, 05:39 PM

Posting Permissions

B