Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default T Mobile 3G/4G signal indicator.

I'm in an area that the coverage map says I have excellent data coverage, but my signal bars always say 3G. My download speeds range from 8 to 12 mgb, so I'm happy with the performance, but I was wondering if any of you actually show 4G next to your signal? If it matters, I did absolutely nothing to my APN settings...just stuck my prepaid SIM card in and activated it.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Default Re: T Mobile 3G/4G signal indicator.

As long as it says H you are good.
    Thanked by 2:
    J T M likes this.

Att and T-Mobile will say "H" and that's all. Its 4g non lte

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

ROM
    AOSP 4.2

It could be that the Nexus 4 is set to show HSPA+ as 3G. However, I have seen H in the signal bar before if I remember correctly... It could be due to the APN.
    Thanked by:

Says H for me. Do get E once in a while

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Mine never says H...only displays 3G.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

My gnex always bounced from 3g to the H at the but the speeds are always the H+. As a matter a fact my N4 does the same.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    Mine never says H...only displays 3G.
    Are you in a city or area that's been upgraded to 42 HSPA+? 8-12mpbs suggests you are, but thought I'd ask.
    Thanked by:

I just activated T-Mobile StraightTalk sim last night and my observation is that it usually says 3G when it's idle. It will sometimes flip to H for a moment, but then goes back to 3G which is where it stays most of the time.

But whenever I start doing anything that's data-intensive, it flips to H and says that way until I'm done doing whatever I'm doing.

It wasn't obvious this was happening until I was playing with speedtest. I'd see the phone showing 3G, then try and run speedtest to see what speed I could get at 3G. But, whenever I started the test, the phone would suddenly switch to H and stay that way for the test, then go back to 3G sometime after it ended.

I'm guessing the phone (or T-Mobile) is switching down to 3G during idleness and is only going to H when "needed" ?
    Thanked by:

G = GSM / GPRS (2G)

E = EVDO

3G = well 3G (WCDMA)

H = HSPA (either HSDPA , HSPA +42, etc)

I think that covers it. Someone correct me if im wrong
    Thanked by 2:

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
    Are you in a city or area that's been upgraded to 42 HSPA+? 8-12mpbs suggests you are, but thought I'd ask.
    I haven't a clue. I'm about 25 miles outside of Atlanta. But now that I think back, I've seen it a number of times change from 3G to what I thought were 2 vertical arrows. I was thinking that it was indicating data going back and forth, but I bet it was actually displaying an H...which looks pretty close to 2 arrows. It's too damn small for my eyes.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

In my basement here in the twin cities I get 3G normally and then sometimes E. If in the right spot I'll get the H - usually near a window.

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    I haven't a clue. I'm about 25 miles outside of Atlanta. But now that I think back, I've seen it a number of times change from 3G to what I thought were 2 vertical arrows. I was thinking that it was indicating data going back and forth, but I bet it was actually displaying an H...which looks pretty close to 2 arrows. It's too damn small for my eyes.
    I'm in Atlanta too (like 10mins north off 400) and what I don't get is 3 of my coworkers have TMobile SG3's and their top signal notification bar shows 4G with the up/down arrows underneath it. But my N4 on TMobile prepaid plan shows H and no up/down arrows underneath, instead they are shown in that signal curve to the right of it???

I don't get it? Why do 2 different phones on the same network show different signal layout/notifications? Is it because I'm on a prepaid plan vs. their postpaid? Very weird...
    If it's because we have 2 different phones, that doesn't make sense to me... Signal layout/bar is the same for all phones for the carrier

Quote Originally Posted by nickacs View Post
    If it's because we have 2 different phones, that doesn't make sense to me... Signal layout/bar is the same for all phones for the carrier
    That's like saying all cars have the same dashboard.

Thanked by:

Signal layout/bar is the same for all phones for the carrier
    Wrong, each phone does their own thing as far as signal indicators go.

Remember, the N4 is pure android where as other phones (Samsung, HTC etc...) use their own flavors of overlays/widgets.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    805 Global Posts

I'm in Atlanta too (like 10mins north off 400) and what I don't get is 3 of my coworkers have TMobile SG3's and their top signal notification bar shows 4G with the up/down arrows underneath it. But my N4 on TMobile prepaid plan shows H and no up/down arrows underneath, instead they are shown in that signal curve to the right of it???
    It's the same thing. What is 'H' on the Nexus 4 is the same as '4G' on T-mobile SGS 3. Both indicate that your phone is connected to an HSPA+ (one of: ordinary HSPA+, HSDPA or HSPA+ 21, dual carrier HSDPA or HSPA+ 41) network, which IS T-mobile's 4G network at the moment. The only difference is the visual representation of it on the two phones. T-mobile's prepaid and postpaid phones are on the exact same network when in the same physical space.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by willdogs View Post
    G = GSM / GPRS (2G)

E = EVDO

3G = well 3G (WCDMA)

H = HSPA (either HSDPA , HSPA +42, etc)

I think that covers it. Someone correct me if im wrong
    Close...

G = GPRS
    E = EDGE
    3G = UMTS (WCDMA)
    H = all HSPA variants
    4G = LTE

EVDO is a CDMA2000 technology (Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular, and a few other small regional carriers in the US). However, many phones do show EVDO as 3G (or sometimes EV).
    Thanked by:

Here is what mine does as others have pointed out. When its using data its on H. On standby it shows 3g. This through T-Mobile

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T Mobile 3G/4G signal indicator.-uploadfromtaptalk1354927410002.jpg   T Mobile 3G/4G signal indicator.-uploadfromtaptalk1354927428991.jpg  
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    805 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jim302 View Post
    Close...

G = GPRS
    E = EDGE
    3G = UMTS (WCDMA)
    H = all HSPA variants
    4G = LTE

EVDO is a CDMA2000 technology (Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular, and a few other small regional carriers in the US). However, many phones do show EVDO as 3G (or sometimes EV).
    Well, while there is a lot of technical debate about what can and cannot be considered 4G, and a great deal saying that no variants of HSPA can be considered 4G simply based on the technology it is based on, it is common for carriers and manufacturers to refer to HSPA+ as 4G (distinguished from LTE with the label '4G LTE') because of the data speeds it offers. T-mobile does not yet have an active LTE network, and T-mobile's SGS 3 phones are all HSPA+ 42 compliant, and on T-mobile's SGS 3 phones, HSPA networks show up as "4G."

Quote Originally Posted by flipflopp View Post
    Here is what mine does as others have pointed out. When its using data its on H. On standby it shows 3g. This through T-Mobile

It should show 3G / UMTS on standby, it doesn't make use of the relatively power hungry HSUPA in order to save battery when it isn't needed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    Well, while there is a lot of technical debate about what can and cannot be considered 4G, and a great deal saying that no variants of HSPA can be considered 4G simply based on the technology it is based on, it is common for carriers and manufacturers to refer to HSPA+ as 4G (distinguished from LTE with the label '4G LTE') because of the data speeds it offers. T-mobile does not yet have an active LTE network, and T-mobile's SGS 3 phones are all HSPA+ 42 compliant, and on T-mobile's SGS 3 phones, HSPA networks show up as "4G."
    AT&T also refers to it's HSPA network as 4G, and others have referred to 1.4 MHz LTE deployments as 4G, even though they are in the ballpark of a EVDO or UMTS level performance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    My post was generally based on how the signal indicator works on the Nexus devices. There was a screenshot of the Nexus 4 showing "4G" on an AWS LTE network in Canada with the modified radio settings (which be pulled in an update).

A lot of phones running T-Mobile's custom firmware (meaning non-Nexus devices) have the following signal indicators, at least for right now:
    G = GPRS
    2G = EDGE
    4G = all HSPA variants
    Haven't seen 3G show up on devices with T-Mobile's custom firmware, but it would indicate plain UMTS/WCDMA.

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by valeuche View Post
    AT&T also refers to it's HSPA network as 4G, and others have referred to 1.4 MHz LTE deployments as 4G, even though they are in the ballpark of a EVDO or UMTS level performance.
    Indeed. AT&T actually modified the iPhone 4S's signal indicator to read "4G" with the iOS 5.1 update because it was capable of connecting to their HSPA+ (14.4) network, although most would consider that 3G still (and everyone else's version of the 4S still indicated 3G).

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
    Indeed. AT&T actually modified the iPhone 4S's signal indicator to read "4G" with the iOS 5.1 update because it was capable of connecting to their HSPA+ (14.4) network, although most would consider that 3G still (and everyone else's version of the 4S still indicated 3G).
    T-Mobile originally called Category 10 devices "4G" too, and I am not sure but I think they dropped that meaning. I think HSPA+42 at least should get the label if Sprint's LTE deployment does, but any number of arguments would work.

I sort of like that they just call it what it is (HSPA being called HSPA, LTE called LTE and so on) rather than class a whole set of technologies as one thing or another, so I like the little H indicator, though that's personal preference.
    Citizen Coyote likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast