3G/LTE/4G

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Recently it has come to my attention that my phone might not be getting 4G service. My device is factory unlocked from Samsung. Ever since I have had it, the only thing I have had in my service icon area is "LTE," or "LTE+."

When I used to have T-Mobile, it always used to show 4G LTE. So I am a bit baffled by this. I always thought LTE was the same thing as 4G just displayed differently, but now I'm not so sure, as several people online have said their device is only getting 3G. My searches have provided several answers, one being that LTE is not true 4G but an enhanced version of 3G.

My device certainly doesn't feel like 3G though. Runs quite fast. I am wondering if when my device says LTE, it is 4G and when it shows LTE+, it's 4G LTE.

Any thoughts?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you are going to be fine. A lot of that is marketing. What matters more is user experience, and you seem ok with that. Yes, LTE+ is technically faster than LTE, but the average user isn't going to notice because websites don't require much bandwidth. I would just keep enjoying your phone and try not to get too hung up on the terminology.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I would not go by the icon reading.. I'm on Verizon with unlocked phone and I get LTE+.. It's definitely good speeds and you can always download a speed app or band check app to see.. As long you are connecting no issues

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The icon that shows up in your status bar may be dependent on your carrier -- different carriers may have slightly different ways of representing the cell signal.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Sounds like you are going to be fine. A lot of that is marketing. What matters more is user experience, and you seem ok with that. Yes, LTE+ is technically faster than LTE, but the average user isn't going to notice because websites don't require much bandwidth. I would just keep enjoying your phone and try not to get too hung up on the terminology.

But like I said... Is LTE 4G or 3G? I'm purely curious.

The icon that shows up in your status bar may be dependent on your carrier -- different carriers may have slightly different ways of representing the cell signal.

When I had a T-Mobile locked device, it would show up as 4G LTE. With my unlocked device, 99% it says LTE.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
But like I said... Is LTE 4G or 3G? I'm purely curious.

When I had a T-Mobile locked device, it would show up as 4G LTE. With my unlocked device, 99% it says LTE.

LTE is 4G and the indicator may just show differently since it’s factually unlocked or just a phone model. You can find different apps in the GPS to actual verify network bands and classifications. The bigger issue you’ll want to verify is that your phone is VoLTE supported on your carrier in your region.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000