The so called Nexus 4 battery woes

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Sorry. I actually deleted the question as you responded. Thanks.

The map setting?

Google Maps - Settings - Location Settings

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry. I actually deleted the question as you responded. Thanks.

The map setting?

Google Maps - Settings - Location Settings

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
also wanted to add a point that if you see media server on the battery stat. its because of bad/corrupted music file on your phone.
i had that problem where it took 70% of battery then i fixed it. I believe. i need to wait and see one more day.

I saw this on the batt stat.. I don't have any music on my phone

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I have been getting FANTASTIC battery life with Juicedefender installed. It made a drastic difference and I can actually get through a day of heavy use now. Highly recommended.

Are you using the free version? What profile do you do you have it set on? TIA

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Have we figured out what the map setting in questions actually does? I've noticed my battery life has been better the last couple cycles, but it seems to have decreased just a bit after booting up with a full charge this morning. Usually "Screen" is shown in the battery app as using the most battery power, however, currently it shows Maps as using 28%, which is odd because I havent used Maps at all during this cycle. I have used apps which use location services. Not sure if it is the same thing.

kgeissler

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Have we figured out what the map setting in questions actually does? I've noticed my battery life has been better the last couple cycles, but it seems to have decreased just a bit after booting up with a full charge this morning. Usually "Screen" is shown in the battery app as using the most battery power, however, currently it shows Maps as using 28%, which is odd because I havent used Maps at all during this cycle. I have used apps which use location services. Not sure if it is the same thing.

The second setting "report from this device" is for people with multiple android devices and using Latitude with the same Google account. I have a Nexus 10 that sits at home and a Nexus 4. I don't want the Nexus 10 reporting my location to Latitude, so I have the unchecked on the Nexus 10. I do have it checked on the Nexus 4 however, so my location is reported with the Nexus 4. If I left the box checked on both my tablet and phone, my phone would update one location and then my table, sitting at home, would report my home location, which would be incorrect.

The option above it, is how you want you location acquired for Latitude. You can either have the phone get your location automatically, you can set it manually or disable Latitude altogether.

Parth Ghetia

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that if I have WiFi on, I get much better battery life than if I use mostly mobile data. I'm on AT&T and it never drops down to 3G to save battery when it's not actively using data. Could that be a factor? Did anyone else notice that the "Awake" bar in the Battery graph is hardly ever used even though the Screen On bar is on?

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that if I have WiFi on, I get much better battery life than if I use mostly mobile data. I'm on AT&T and it never drops down to 3G to save battery when it's not actively using data. Could that be a factor? Did anyone else notice that the "Awake" bar in the Battery graph is hardly ever used even though the Screen On bar is on?

Yup, using Wifi whenever possible saves you more battery than just using mobile data all the time. BUT, only turn Wifi on if you know theres a connection around, otherwise the phone will just keep searching which drains your battery. Whenever your phone has to search for data in general drains your battery as well. Thats why I noticed that when I was at work in a building where I had weak signals, my battery would plummet. When I started taking advantage of the Wifi none of the assholes there gave me the password to until recently, I just cut it on when I clock in and im good to go battery wise for the whole shift. Alternating between mobile data in good areas and wifi when its available and/or there is poor connection is one of the best ways to keep your battery alive longer.

I did try to OPs suggestion of turning off that option in location settings so we'll see if that helps me out a bit. I get about 10-12hrs average anyway which isn't too bad for me but i'd love to see it go to 16hrs+ which is my main goal. They say everyone on average gets (or should get) 8hrs sleep right? So theoretically, your awake for about 16hrs at a time. I need my phone to last at least those 16hrs and beyond. Its as simple as that.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been noticing Maps is consuming about 1/4 of my battery power even though I'm not using maps at all. Any ideas?
9y4anevu.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I have a spreadsheet I downloaded from my email and opened it a couple times. I think that may be because it stayed in the background.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I've come to report that ever since I did what the OP did and thats unchecking that box, I have received worse battery life. I'm on 30% right now after 8hrs, which before I did this would be about 10hrs at by the time I hit 30%.

For some reason, Facebook was EATING my battery, accounting for 50% of the drain because for some reason it was accessing my GPS all day despite the GPS being off. I uninstalled FB then reinstalled, no problems, but its still draining. I looked at the battery stats and it said GPS has been awake pretty much all day despite my GPS button being off. Don't know the reason for this but the battery life got far far worse for me so im just going to leave that option checked again because it didn't help.

I'll put it back on and see if the problem persist tomorrow and report back.

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok, thought I'd start a new thread on this, not for people to complain about battery life but to discuss maturely the possible causes of battery drains. I'm no Android expert, in fact the Nexus 4 is my first Android phone (previously Blackberries and iPhones), but I am in the world of IT so I like to think at least I have a logical mindset for this sort of thing.

First off, I'm of the opinion (until I'm proved otherwise) that with the exception of a few defective units which is inevitable, that the majority of the battery issues are software not hardware related. I've had battery drain issues on the iPhone and Blackberry in the past and it's always been down to software issues.

One observation I have made, is that alot of people seem to be comparing the Nexus to iPhones stating things such as "My iPhone never drained this bad, what a farce Google, sort it out" and similar. I like to liken Android vs iOS in the same way as I do Linux vs Windows.

I work in Windows Server infrastructure support and although Windows is configurable to a degree my brief look into Linux shows the power of what can be done, if you know how. Much more freedom available, but with that comes more chance of issues creeping in.

This is what drew me to Android, as much as I loved my iPhone (and still do) as a self confessed nerd I dislike being prevented from having choice, such as my default browser, but while this annoys me it's also worth noting that iOS is specific OS for specific hardware, which means the chances of issues is "probably" much less than with a more open source OS.

With the options Android gives app developers its no wonder that sometimes the combination of all these apps, all asking for a slice of the pie (so to speak) causes issues with conflicting processes or battery drains.

I got my Nexus, immediately performed the OTA 4.2.1 update, unlocked the bootloader and rooted it, then proceeded to pile on a lorry load of apps which I used to run on my iPhone, then plonked Nova launcher over the top. It then became apparent just how many settings each app had, which weren't being restricted and vetted by the underlying OS.

My battery life was awful, even with NFC off, auto brightness, WIFI off and Google syncing off I was down to 30% left within 8 hours and VERY minimal use. My initial reaction was to complain and write off the phone as a bad device (especially with the hassles of ordering it) but then the geek in me cut in and I started to monitor the usage. First thing I noticed was how long the phone was being "Held awake" and also how high the Maps usage was. It wasn't super high (sub 10%) but it seemed high considering I hadn't been using anything that required location services other than Facebook and Google+. I even turned off all the Google Now stuff so it wasn't constantly looking for my location to offer up helpful cards.

I decided it would be a good idea, and this was my IT head coming into play, to do what I would do with a badly running laptop or server, reinstall everything. So I downloaded the full 4.2.1 image from Google and using Defmouze's instructions for ADB, wiped and reflashed the phone.

I then signed back into my Google account and sync'd everything back and proceeded to install the apps I needed most, after installing each I made sure if they had any auto update settings they were either set to minimal or turned off completely. I then noticed in the Maps application this setting :

http://www.pjitsolutions.co.uk/pics/share/batt5.png

The 2 options at the top puzzled me as they both seemed to mean the same thing, just worded differently. I left the top option as it was but turned off the bottom one, apps can still locate me and my location is still working in the Maps app itself so not sure exactly what "stuff" needed this to work, I had a weather app which was updating my location every 6 hours fine so maybe it's uploading to Google? Who knows.

Since the reflash and this app setting I am getting 16-18 hours out of the phone, with approx 3-4 hours of screen time, which for a quad core phone with a sizeable screen I think is perfectly acceptable.

Not sure if there is an underlying point to this thread but it seems to me people are giving up very easilly on the phone and writing it off as a bad device instead of actually taking a look at the underlying root cause. If you have everything turned on and constantly communicating then you are going to dent battery life.

Comparing it to other phones, especially ones with modded versions of Android (Samsung or HTC for instance) is unfair as this is both a vanilla OS and also, it's new.

Give it a chance folks, if you want a phone you can install apps willy nilly and be safe in the knowledge that the OS will prevent them from draining the battery, get an iOS device.

you were that slow in finding out about those features on maps and turning them off? i've turned off everything i've seen or can think off, and brightness at 15% and i'm getting 6-7 hours max with like 2 hours screen time. i've checked for services running and apps and force stop them all to no avail

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
you were that slow in finding out about those features on maps and turning them off? i've turned off everything i've seen or can think off, and brightness at 15% and i'm getting 6-7 hours max with like 2 hours screen time. i've checked for services running and apps and force stop them all to no avail

have you tried to download GSAM battery monitor or better battery?

stanlm2

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Just another anecdote, 8 hour 20 min hike in airplane mode with google my tracks plotting my course, and about 10 minutes on photospheres took 40% of the battery.

Pleasantly surprised, thought it would've been a much heavier draw on the battery with the gps usage.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
My first full day today with my new N4. Came from a Samsung Galaxy S2. Hoping it is better than that phone. Will let you know.

Basscase

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
And one more gloat before she dies on me.

Still think the battery is impossibly bad?

quravege.jpg

a7yja6yb.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty