Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Default Re: How to get iOS style notifications on the Nexus 4?

As a new switch from iOS to Android, I found this thread helpful and will be looking into Nova Launcher.

I just wanted to comment that all the "Go back to iOS if you want your phone to be exactly like an iPhone" and "zomg if you love iOS so much why don't you marry it?" comments are completely unhelpful, annoying, and make you look silly. OP asked for one feature, not the whole iOS experience. And even my old Nokia "AT&T Go" phone, that little brick, told me how many unread messages I had when I picked it up. This is not an unreasonable feature for anybody to want.
    DistantChocobo likes this.

I'll also recomend Nova Launcher, I've found it's close enough to stock to not be overwhelming but still allows customization, putting the little numbers next to app icons is only for the prime version, the free version also has plenty of options. And the best part about android is if you get sick of any notification system you can just change it!

Quote Originally Posted by EverVigilant View Post
    As a new switch from iOS to Android, I found this thread helpful and will be looking into Nova Launcher.

I just wanted to comment that all the "Go back to iOS if you want your phone to be exactly like an iPhone" and "zomg if you love iOS so much why don't you marry it?" comments are completely unhelpful, annoying, and make you look silly. OP asked for one feature, not the whole iOS experience. And even my old Nokia "AT&T Go" phone, that little brick, told me how many unread messages I had when I picked it up. This is not an unreasonable feature for anybody to want.

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

Tbh I have the global badge notifications but never notice them. I have dashclock widget so when on the lockscreen I can see how many unread messages I have and can also launch the app from there.. I mostly look at my notifications through the notification bar which also shows the unread count for the notification. The only real benefit it has is that if you accidently swipe away a unread message, the number will still stay on the icon making sure you dont forget you have a message.

If you want something in android it can be found, if you can't find it make it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hyde1 View Post
    I have both and I find android isn't as robust as it doesn't provide the option. Some users may not want those notifications, but it would be nice to have the option. I guess some like living with fewer choices. Android will allow those choices some day I am sure.
    They are not available natively, but they are available through third party extension. That's the beauty of Android, flexibility. The advantage of iOS, i think many would say, is simplicity - it just works - at the cost of flexibility.

My problem is that my Nexus 4 (Google) does not notify me of messages from iPhones. I know this because my wife and daughter have Iphones and I do not get a message notification when they send me a text message. I get notifications from everyone else, unfortunately not those closest to me. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by David Dittman View Post
    My problem is that my Nexus 4 (Google) does not notify me of messages from iPhones. I know this because my wife and daughter have Iphones and I do not get a message notification when they send me a text message. I get notifications from everyone else, unfortunately not those closest to me. What gives?
    Do you get the actual text, just no notification?

GS4/iPhone5

I've heard of this before when people switch from iPhone to Android. The solution (if I remember correctly) has to do with you iMessage account or something. That when they were sending you a text, it still tried to send it through iMessage, which obviously wouldn't go through to your Android. I wish I could tell you more, but I've never had an iOS device to have to worry about this, but maybe it will give you a starting place for a good ol' google search!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12