Does anybody else get bad reception from T-Mobile

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The reason that site isn't 100% accurate is that it's user input driven. Only people who know about the site and are using non-AWS phones on T-Mo may report their results.

That allows for the absence of reports, yes, but does not correlate with incorrect reports per se. T-Mobile's 1900MHz refarming is rare, and will likely not take place in many markets. Don't expect to see a very large number of reports on there; it's merely an indicator of the regions in which T-Mobile has begun this refarming in order to re-allocate spectrum for future LTE and HSPA+ 42 establishments.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Is there like a setting that needs to be turned on or something to get better signal?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

It's tmobile, of course there's a bad reception.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
First of all, big mistake by going to T-Mobile, their spectrum is terrible, you're going to continue to get bad signal, and there's nothing you can do about it. If u activated your phone in store, u have 14 days to cancel, online or called in to activate, it's 20 days. Stay with bigger carrier, Yes it maybe a few more bucks but you don't have to worry about bad reception

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Android Central Forums
There is no carrier that doesn't have any dead spots. The question is what you need where you are. The money saving on T-Mobile is nothing to sneeze at. Can you show me any other "bigger" carrier that has a plan that is remotely close to $30 a month and includes 5 gb of high speed data? It's not a "couple of bucks". Even leaving that, $70 a month on T-Mobile will get you truly unlimited everything. I don't even think the two big ones have unlimited everything for any set price point.

Reception is more often an issue with T-Mobile, sure. But not that big a deal in metropolitan areas, especially for those who can use WiFi to call and so forth.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There is no carrier that doesn't have any dead spots. The question is what you need where you are. The money saving on T-Mobile is nothing to sneeze at. Can you show me any other "bigger" carrier that has a plan that is remotely close to $30 a month and includes 5 gb of high speed data? It's not a "couple of bucks". Even leaving that, $70 a month on T-Mobile will get you truly unlimited everything. I don't even think the two big ones have unlimited everything for any set price point.

Reception is more often an issue with T-Mobile, sure. But not that big a deal in metropolitan areas, especially for those who can use WiFi to call and so forth.

Sprint offers unlimited everything for $110 a month but unlike T-mobile postpaid you can't use apply a corporate discount to it (I get a 10% monthly discount on my T-mobile unlimited everything plan making it $63 a month plus taxes/fees)

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been trailing T-Mobile to determine if could save money (switching from at&t) and be happy with their network footprint.

They coverage is decent in my area and in most cases is comparable to my current carrier at&t. There are a few glaring exceptions like the local Costco, a Chipotle and one of my favorite sit down restaurants.

The one big thing I noticed is that DATA speeds on T-Mobile are faster than at&t and I do enjoy that fact about them.
In the end I have no idea if I am going to leave at&t as their coverage far exceeds T-Mobile in less urban areas, but the cost savings might be enough of a reason to switch.

Dan

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
IT is always case by case depending on location.

Jut a side note... I was surprised to see full bore H+ speeds on Tmo when inside the Mall of America yesterday. They must have some sort of repeater system inside that behemoth.

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Is there like a setting that needs to be turned on or something to get better signal?

I'm in the Charlotte, NC region and reception has always been great, much better than ATT, which my wife had but more is on Tmo with me. It's going to take a team of horses to get me off Tmo!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Is the wifi calling under the "use internet calling" section of call settings?
No. WiFi calling is a feature certain T-Mobile phones support. But anyone with a Google voice number can send and receive calls over data using a specialized app (like Talkatone). It is also possible to configure the "use internet calling" feature to do this, buy it takes some complicated doing.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Reception is excellent in the Boston area, although speed is inconsistent. I do get max or almost max signal strength all over the metro Boston area (I'm mostly in Boston or about 12 miles northwest of Boston). I also have a Lumia 920 on AT&T, and in downtown Boston the speeds for the Lumia are MUCH faster (usually around 1 mbps upload for the nexus vs about 5 to 6 for the Lumia), but at home in Waltham, MA my nexus is actually faster, with consistent speeds around 20 to 21 mbps upload. Coverage in Waltham is actually more consistent for t-mo than it is for AT&T!

However, I have wifi available at both work and home so I'm mostly on that except when traveling, so the major money savings I'm getting with the $30/month t-mo plan for my 2nd phone vs having it on AT&T more than makes up for the slower speeds downtown or the occasionally spottier coverage in areas further out from the city.