T-Mobile Nexus 4 contract cancelled

cuhp

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I've read a few posts on here asking about the validity of this argument so I figure I should help set the record straight. I am an AT&T customer and sold my iPhone 4S before realizing the Nexus 4 would sell out on Google Play as quickly as it did.

So I decided to try purchasing it through T-Mobile as a new customer for $199. The day I got my phone, I called T-Mobile to cancel my contract. My contract was cancelled, and I did not have to pay an Early Termination Fee. The reason I did not was because I had called during the period known as Buyer's Remorse. I had made sure not to activate my SIM card so they could not charge me for any service used. They told me that I did own the phone and would not have to return it. I've been successfully using my Nexus 4 on my existing AT&T plan for the last few weeks, and managed to do so by only paying $199.

I don't know if you guys are gutsy enough to try it, or if it has a 100% success rate, I'm just telling you that it's possible, seeing how it's still sold out on Google Play.

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
TMobile isn't subsidizing phones anymore. And if it did work, good for you I guess? You pulled a sleazy move to get what you wanted and got away with it.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
TMobile isn't subsidizing phones anymore. And if it did work, good for you I guess? You pulled a sleazy move to get what you wanted and got away with it.

They still are selling Classic plans, but they do plan to phase them out in the near future.

I wouldn't get too excited over this. It sounds like they've extended you a courtesy, rather than that being their usual policy. Or it sounds like they had to comply with laws regarding adequate service. They also would likely crackdown on this if it became widespread.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

saeufer

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
They screwed up. How'd you get them to sell you the phone and not activate it? T-Mo used to pre-activate phones for new customers who ordered online; I guess they don't anymore. Normally, to cancel under "buyer's remorse" you have to return the equipment.

If you had activated it, I'd tell you to watch when they charge you an ETF anyway after telling you they wouldn't. Why would I say this? Because I'm currently fighting them over an ETF from a contract their own website told me was "month-to-month."

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
If they come through on what they usually do, you'll get a bill for ~$300 to cover the rest of the cost of the phone. They retail the phone full price for $499.

if you cancel your contract within 14 days of purchase (buyer's remorse), you're right you wont have a contract anymore, but you do have to either pay the rest of the cost of the phone, or return the device. You don't get to keep the phone for the on-contract price.

If T-Mo really did have a policy that let people leave in 14 days w/o paying for the rest of the handset, you'd see a huge wave of resellers buying and reselling handsets with huge margins. Carriers are dumb, but not that dumb.

DSEditorjoel

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've read a few posts on here asking about the validity of this argument so I figure I should help set the record straight. I am an AT&T customer and sold my iPhone 4S before realizing the Nexus 4 would sell out on Google Play as quickly as it did.

So I decided to try purchasing it through T-Mobile as a new customer for $199. The day I got my phone, I called T-Mobile to cancel my contract. My contract was cancelled, and I did not have to pay an Early Termination Fee. The reason I did not was because I had called during the period known as Buyer's Remorse. I had made sure not to activate my SIM card so they could not charge me for any service used. They told me that I did own the phone and would not have to return it. I've been successfully using my Nexus 4 on my existing AT&T plan for the last few weeks, and managed to do so by only paying $199.

I don't know if you guys are gutsy enough to try it, or if it has a 100% success rate, I'm just telling you that it's possible, seeing how it's still sold out on Google Play.

They're going to give you 21 days to return the equipment, and when you don't they're going to bill you for the remainder of the retail amount. Remember, their full price for the phone is $499.

Also, their bills are pro-rated, so you can expect to see a bill for a couple of days of usage as well.

Doooshty

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
They're going to give you 21 days to return the equipment, and when you don't they're going to bill you for the remainder of the retail amount. Remember, their full price for the phone is $499.

Also, their bills are pro-rated, so you can expect to see a bill for a couple of days of usage as well.

Exactly correct. They said you "DON'T HAVE TO" return it. It just wasn't explained to you that if you do, you'll be billed for the rest.

"Do unto others as you wish them to do onto you"

It's almost poetic that by trying to take advantage and screw the system, you yourself are getting taken advantage of and screwed by the system.

Cell providers are in the upper echelon of shadiness, you were naive to think you could out shady them.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

I hope OP updates us when the 21 days passes.

tpd15

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Exactly correct. They said you "DON'T HAVE TO" return it. It just wasn't explained to you that if you do, you'll be billed for the rest.

This seems correct. I got a 2-year subsidized Nexus 4 from T-Mo, and here's a pic of my order form. When I talked to T-Mo, they specifically said I had to return the equipment if I cancelled in the Buyer's Remorse period, or be billed for it.

T-Mo%20order%20terms.jpg

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
There is no question the balance of the retail price will be billed to the account, and credited back should the phone be returned within the defined period. That said, for those anxiously awaiting the N4 to become available once again from the Play store, buying one from T-mo at $199, canceling, and then paying the $200 ETF (after the remorse period) would end up paying $399 for the phone -- only a $50 premium over the Play store price - and getting it much, much faster. Of course, you might have to pay for the service period rendered, as well as (not sure on their policy) up to a month of additional service, if they require 30 days notice for cancellation. Still, much cheaper than some of the phones being resold online, and still carrying a full manufacturer's warranty since it's a new purchase from an authorized seller.

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Well this is a pointless discussion...

In a moment of impetuousness you decide to sell your old phone before so much as ordering a new one, and then to relieve your impatience you decide to try to scam T Mobile out of giving you a phone on the cheap. Where to even begin... I'm sure you didn't take 5 minutes to read any of the paperwork you signed, but I assure you it's filled with conditions and clauses that mainly cover TMobile's ass out of any way people might think to scam them out of money. Many of these pertain to early contract terminations. As a lot of people already mentioned, you didn't walk out with a new phone for cheap. They'll probably bill you for the remaining $300.

Next time think before acting.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There is no question the balance of the retail price will be billed to the account, and credited back should the phone be returned within the defined period. That said, for those anxiously awaiting the N4 to become available once again from the Play store, buying one from T-mo at $199, canceling, and then paying the $200 ETF (after the remorse period) would end up paying $399 for the phone -- only a $50 premium over the Play store price - and getting it much, much faster. Of course, you might have to pay for the service period rendered, as well as (not sure on their policy) up to a month of additional service, if they require 30 days notice for cancellation. Still, much cheaper than some of the phones being resold online, and still carrying a full manufacturer's warranty since it's a new purchase from an authorized seller.

That's if you can get one from T-mobile. When I went to get my SIM card cut the guy said every story in the area was sold out and was jealous that I was about to buy one via Craigslist.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Doooshty

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Then you will be billed for the remaining $300. How does this make sense? $199(initial cost) + $200 (cancellation fee) + $300(remaining balance billed) = $600 for a $349 phone. Explain how this is a deal?