Light Bleed

shea-bird

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
how bad is it...I have learned over the years and with many phones...no phone will ever be perfect. while some are far worse than others in terms of the number of defects, a little light bleed does not bother me anymore. There are different kinds of light bleed as well...some worse than others. my N4 has a slight bleed at the top right...but unless the screen is ALL black, I can't notice it at all. not the type of bleed where the screen is separated and I can see the back-lighting, but just a slight weak light from the top right. like I said...rest of the phone is great and I can't notice it unless the screen is all black (never when functioning at any capacity), so its all good. I wouldnt worry

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
how bad is it...I have learned over the years and with many phones...no phone will ever be perfect. while some are far worse than others in terms of the number of defects, a little light bleed does not bother me anymore. There are different kinds of light bleed as well...some worse than others. my N4 has a slight bleed at the top right...but unless the screen is ALL black, I can't notice it at all. not the type of bleed where the screen is separated and I can see the back-lighting, but just a slight weak light from the top right. like I said...rest of the phone is great and I can't notice it unless the screen is all black (never when functioning at any capacity), so its all good. I wouldnt worry

I expect PERFECTION from something I paid $500 for!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Oh. you bought it on ebay? "Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can, seldom found in woman, never found in man" Guess that means you have no warranty (I'm pretty sure you don't) and expecting perfection is quite absurd, nothing is perfect and that's why people have warranty.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

You paid too much. The whole point of the Nexus 4 is great hardware on a no-contact phone at a great price - $299 (8GB) or $349 (16GB).

As for perfection, a small amount of light bleed is normal and expected; it is the nature of all backlit/edgelit screen technologies.

One man's defect is another man's perfection.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
As for perfection, a small amount of light bleed is normal and expected; it is the nature of all backlit/edgelit screen technologies.

One man's defect is another man's perfection.

A defect should be expected?

I've never had that happen on a device, and as "display defects" are not listed in any feature list of any phone, I'd promptly have the device replaced.

I'm confused as to why you think a problem should be accepted as normal.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
A defect should be expected?

I've never had that happen on a device, and as "display defects" are not listed in any feature list of any phone, I'd promptly have the device replaced.

I'm confused as to why you think a problem should be accepted as normal.

No; the point is that it is not a defect - it is the nature of all backlit/edgelit screens to have lightbleed. Just as it is the nature of gasoline-powered automobiles to have exhaust and the nature of glass windows to be somewhat breakable.

shea-bird

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
No; the point is that it is not a defect - it is the nature of all backlit/edgelit screens to have lightbleed. Just as it is the nature of gasoline-powered automobiles to have exhaust and the nature of glass windows to be somewhat breakable.

Exactly. I have NEVER had a LCD phone that didnt have some "type" of light bleed. both HTC one X's, Moto Atrix, N4...the list goes on. I have exchanged phones because of it...only to get a replacement with the same "problem" :) its the nature of the beast.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh. you bought it on ebay? "Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can, seldom found in woman, never found in man" Guess that means you have no warranty (I'm pretty sure you don't) and expecting perfection is quite absurd, nothing is perfect and that's why people have warranty.

I have a warranty, if not through Google, then at least through Buyer Protection.

I'll use the phone a little more to see if it's really light bleed, or just the angle that holding the phone is causing me to see the backlights. I've used phones with AMOLED displays for over 2 years, so I'm new to backlit LCD displays.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a warranty, if not through Google, then at least through Buyer Protection.

I'll use the phone a little more to see if it's really light bleed, or just the angle that holding the phone is causing me to see the backlights. I've used phones with AMOLED displays for over 2 years, so I'm new to backlit LCD displays.

Pretty sure buyer protection only
You received an item that was different from the one described in the listing (for example, you purchased a book, but received a hat).
You received an item that was not as described in the item description.
You received an item that was damaged during shipping.
If he didn't tell you about it then I guess your good.
What are you mean light bleed exactly anyways? I'm talking about the edge where the metal meets the glass is where my light bleed is occurring.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure buyer protection only
You received an item that was different from the one described in the listing (for example, you purchased a book, but received a hat).
You received an item that was not as described in the item description.
You received an item that was damaged during shipping.
If he didn't tell you about it then I guess your good.
What are you mean light bleed exactly anyways? I'm talking about the edge where the metal meets the glass is where my light bleed is occurring.

I'm talking about the edges of the touch screen.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

Just because light bleed can occur on LCD displays does not mean it is the nature of the display.

Sure, gasoline powered automobiles produce exhaust, and when there's an issue with an engine, it's not uncommon for the exhaust to bellow out on clouds of smoke, but that doesn't mean you should accept that fact that your car can smoke out a city block as the nature of a gasoline powered vehicle.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Just because light bleed can occur on LCD displays does not mean it is the nature of the display.

Sure, gasoline powered automobiles produce exhaust, and when there's an issue with an engine, it's not uncommon for the exhaust to bellow out on clouds of smoke, but that doesn't mean you should accept that fact that your car can smoke out a city block as the nature of a gasoline powered vehicle.

So it's not normal to have minor light bleed?

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
So it's not normal to have minor light bleed?

It may be a common defect, but it's still a defect. If you can live with it, cool, but when I spend hard earned money on anything, I expect to be investing in a properly functioning product. Whenever my N4 gets here, if I spy light bleed or any other *minor* issue I'll promptly have the device replaced.