Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheLibertarian
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Light Bleed

How does one fix light bleed? My N4 has some on the top.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

Default Re: Light Bleed

you'll have to get a warranty exchange. Luckily my Nexus 4 doesn't have it but both G2xs I had suffered from it.

Put a case on it?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Crow1336 View Post
    Put a case on it?
    How does that solve light bleed?

Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    How does that solve light bleed?

The case might cover the light bleed. My iPod had light bleed on the right side and it was pretty noticeable when it was dark. Put a case on it and solved.

how bad is it...I have learned over the years and with many phones...no phone will ever be perfect. while some are far worse than others in terms of the number of defects, a little light bleed does not bother me anymore. There are different kinds of light bleed as well...some worse than others. my N4 has a slight bleed at the top right...but unless the screen is ALL black, I can't notice it at all. not the type of bleed where the screen is separated and I can see the back-lighting, but just a slight weak light from the top right. like I said...rest of the phone is great and I can't notice it unless the screen is all black (never when functioning at any capacity), so its all good. I wouldnt worry

Quote Originally Posted by Crow1336 View Post
    Put a case on it?
    Instead of having it replaced under warranty?

Makes sense.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by shea-bird View Post
    how bad is it...I have learned over the years and with many phones...no phone will ever be perfect. while some are far worse than others in terms of the number of defects, a little light bleed does not bother me anymore. There are different kinds of light bleed as well...some worse than others. my N4 has a slight bleed at the top right...but unless the screen is ALL black, I can't notice it at all. not the type of bleed where the screen is separated and I can see the back-lighting, but just a slight weak light from the top right. like I said...rest of the phone is great and I can't notice it unless the screen is all black (never when functioning at any capacity), so its all good. I wouldnt worry
    I expect PERFECTION from something I paid $500 for!

Oh. you bought it on ebay? "Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can, seldom found in woman, never found in man" Guess that means you have no warranty (I'm pretty sure you don't) and expecting perfection is quite absurd, nothing is perfect and that's why people have warranty.

You paid too much. The whole point of the Nexus 4 is great hardware on a no-contact phone at a great price - $299 (8GB) or $349 (16GB).

As for perfection, a small amount of light bleed is normal and expected; it is the nature of all backlit/edgelit screen technologies.

One man's defect is another man's perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    As for perfection, a small amount of light bleed is normal and expected; it is the nature of all backlit/edgelit screen technologies.

One man's defect is another man's perfection.
    A defect should be expected?

I've never had that happen on a device, and as "display defects" are not listed in any feature list of any phone, I'd promptly have the device replaced.

I'm confused as to why you think a problem should be accepted as normal.
    FreakyLocz14 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post
    A defect should be expected?

I've never had that happen on a device, and as "display defects" are not listed in any feature list of any phone, I'd promptly have the device replaced.

I'm confused as to why you think a problem should be accepted as normal.
    No; the point is that it is not a defect - it is the nature of all backlit/edgelit screens to have lightbleed. Just as it is the nature of gasoline-powered automobiles to have exhaust and the nature of glass windows to be somewhat breakable.

No; the point is that it is not a defect - it is the nature of all backlit/edgelit screens to have lightbleed. Just as it is the nature of gasoline-powered automobiles to have exhaust and the nature of glass windows to be somewhat breakable.

Exactly. I have NEVER had a LCD phone that didnt have some "type" of light bleed. both HTC one X's, Moto Atrix, N4...the list goes on. I have exchanged phones because of it...only to get a replacement with the same "problem" its the nature of the beast.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    Oh. you bought it on ebay? "Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can, seldom found in woman, never found in man" Guess that means you have no warranty (I'm pretty sure you don't) and expecting perfection is quite absurd, nothing is perfect and that's why people have warranty.
    I have a warranty, if not through Google, then at least through Buyer Protection.

I'll use the phone a little more to see if it's really light bleed, or just the angle that holding the phone is causing me to see the backlights. I've used phones with AMOLED displays for over 2 years, so I'm new to backlit LCD displays.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Accidental double post

I have a warranty, if not through Google, then at least through Buyer Protection.

I'll use the phone a little more to see if it's really light bleed, or just the angle that holding the phone is causing me to see the backlights. I've used phones with AMOLED displays for over 2 years, so I'm new to backlit LCD displays.

Pretty sure buyer protection only
    You received an item that was different from the one described in the listing (for example, you purchased a book, but received a hat).
    You received an item that was not as described in the item description.
    You received an item that was damaged during shipping.
    If he didn't tell you about it then I guess your good.
    What are you mean light bleed exactly anyways? I'm talking about the edge where the metal meets the glass is where my light bleed is occurring.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    Pretty sure buyer protection only
    You received an item that was different from the one described in the listing (for example, you purchased a book, but received a hat).
    You received an item that was not as described in the item description.
    You received an item that was damaged during shipping.
    If he didn't tell you about it then I guess your good.
    What are you mean light bleed exactly anyways? I'm talking about the edge where the metal meets the glass is where my light bleed is occurring.
    I'm talking about the edges of the touch screen.

Just because light bleed can occur on LCD displays does not mean it is the nature of the display.

Sure, gasoline powered automobiles produce exhaust, and when there's an issue with an engine, it's not uncommon for the exhaust to bellow out on clouds of smoke, but that doesn't mean you should accept that fact that your car can smoke out a city block as the nature of a gasoline powered vehicle.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post
    Just because light bleed can occur on LCD displays does not mean it is the nature of the display.

Sure, gasoline powered automobiles produce exhaust, and when there's an issue with an engine, it's not uncommon for the exhaust to bellow out on clouds of smoke, but that doesn't mean you should accept that fact that your car can smoke out a city block as the nature of a gasoline powered vehicle.
    So it's not normal to have minor light bleed?

So it's not normal to have minor light bleed?

It may be a common defect, but it's still a defect. If you can live with it, cool, but when I spend hard earned money on anything, I expect to be investing in a properly functioning product. Whenever my N4 gets here, if I spy light bleed or any other *minor* issue I'll promptly have the device replaced.

I can notice a little light bleed on the top right corner but only when the display is on full brightness, on auto in normal conditions there is nothing wrong with it. I don't like super bright display anyway and when it is on full brightness the black levels are not really good anymore so for me what I see on my device it is a non issue...

I do have a slight light bleed at the top of the display, but I can only notice it, when I am switching off the display. Can't see it otherwise. That's why it's a non issue for me.
    HTC One 32GB (silver), Nexus 4 16GB, iPhone 4s 16GB, Nexus 7 16GB
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

I'm going to call Google and ask for a replacement. If I can't get one, then I'm going to ask the seller for a refund.

Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

I'm going to call Google and ask for a replacement. If I can't get one, then I'm going to ask the seller for a refund.

Depending on who sold it to you and where you bought it, you might be SOL with a refund.

As for Google I'm pretty sure you can't get a warranty replacement from them because the device isn't on your Google Wallet account(I could be wrong), that's if you even have one. Good luck.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    Depending on who sold it to you and where you bought it, you might be SOL with a refund.

As for Google I'm pretty sure you can't get a warranty replacement from them because the device isn't on your Google Wallet account(I could be wrong), that's if you even have one. Good luck.
    If all else fails, I can always file a Buyer Protection claim, but most sellers want to avoid that, since it looks bad on their account.