Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheLibertarian
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Light Bleed

    How does one fix light bleed? My N4 has some on the top.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  2. #2  
    PWC Realtor's Avatar

    Posts
    486 Posts
    Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    you'll have to get a warranty exchange. Luckily my Nexus 4 doesn't have it but both G2xs I had suffered from it.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    Put a case on it?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    Quote Originally Posted by Crow1336 View Post
    Put a case on it?
    How does that solve light bleed?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    How does that solve light bleed?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    The case might cover the light bleed. My iPod had light bleed on the right side and it was pretty noticeable when it was dark. Put a case on it and solved.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    how bad is it...I have learned over the years and with many phones...no phone will ever be perfect. while some are far worse than others in terms of the number of defects, a little light bleed does not bother me anymore. There are different kinds of light bleed as well...some worse than others. my N4 has a slight bleed at the top right...but unless the screen is ALL black, I can't notice it at all. not the type of bleed where the screen is separated and I can see the back-lighting, but just a slight weak light from the top right. like I said...rest of the phone is great and I can't notice it unless the screen is all black (never when functioning at any capacity), so its all good. I wouldnt worry
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    Quote Originally Posted by Crow1336 View Post
    Put a case on it?
    Instead of having it replaced under warranty?

    Makes sense.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    Quote Originally Posted by shea-bird View Post
    how bad is it...I have learned over the years and with many phones...no phone will ever be perfect. while some are far worse than others in terms of the number of defects, a little light bleed does not bother me anymore. There are different kinds of light bleed as well...some worse than others. my N4 has a slight bleed at the top right...but unless the screen is ALL black, I can't notice it at all. not the type of bleed where the screen is separated and I can see the back-lighting, but just a slight weak light from the top right. like I said...rest of the phone is great and I can't notice it unless the screen is all black (never when functioning at any capacity), so its all good. I wouldnt worry
    I expect PERFECTION from something I paid $500 for!

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    I expect PERFECTION from something I paid $500 for!

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Oh. you bought it on ebay? "Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can, seldom found in woman, never found in man" Guess that means you have no warranty (I'm pretty sure you don't) and expecting perfection is quite absurd, nothing is perfect and that's why people have warranty.
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    I expect PERFECTION from something I paid $500 for!

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    You paid too much. The whole point of the Nexus 4 is great hardware on a no-contact phone at a great price - $299 (8GB) or $349 (16GB).

    As for perfection, a small amount of light bleed is normal and expected; it is the nature of all backlit/edgelit screen technologies.

    One man's defect is another man's perfection.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    As for perfection, a small amount of light bleed is normal and expected; it is the nature of all backlit/edgelit screen technologies.

    One man's defect is another man's perfection.
    A defect should be expected?

    I've never had that happen on a device, and as "display defects" are not listed in any feature list of any phone, I'd promptly have the device replaced.

    I'm confused as to why you think a problem should be accepted as normal.
    FreakyLocz14 likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post
    A defect should be expected?

    I've never had that happen on a device, and as "display defects" are not listed in any feature list of any phone, I'd promptly have the device replaced.

    I'm confused as to why you think a problem should be accepted as normal.
    No; the point is that it is not a defect - it is the nature of all backlit/edgelit screens to have lightbleed. Just as it is the nature of gasoline-powered automobiles to have exhaust and the nature of glass windows to be somewhat breakable.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    No; the point is that it is not a defect - it is the nature of all backlit/edgelit screens to have lightbleed. Just as it is the nature of gasoline-powered automobiles to have exhaust and the nature of glass windows to be somewhat breakable.

    Exactly. I have NEVER had a LCD phone that didnt have some "type" of light bleed. both HTC one X's, Moto Atrix, N4...the list goes on. I have exchanged phones because of it...only to get a replacement with the same "problem" its the nature of the beast.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    Oh. you bought it on ebay? "Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can, seldom found in woman, never found in man" Guess that means you have no warranty (I'm pretty sure you don't) and expecting perfection is quite absurd, nothing is perfect and that's why people have warranty.
    I have a warranty, if not through Google, then at least through Buyer Protection.

    I'll use the phone a little more to see if it's really light bleed, or just the angle that holding the phone is causing me to see the backlights. I've used phones with AMOLED displays for over 2 years, so I'm new to backlit LCD displays.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    Accidental double post
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    I have a warranty, if not through Google, then at least through Buyer Protection.

    I'll use the phone a little more to see if it's really light bleed, or just the angle that holding the phone is causing me to see the backlights. I've used phones with AMOLED displays for over 2 years, so I'm new to backlit LCD displays.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Pretty sure buyer protection only
    You received an item that was different from the one described in the listing (for example, you purchased a book, but received a hat).
    You received an item that was not as described in the item description.
    You received an item that was damaged during shipping.
    If he didn't tell you about it then I guess your good.
    What are you mean light bleed exactly anyways? I'm talking about the edge where the metal meets the glass is where my light bleed is occurring.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    Pretty sure buyer protection only
    You received an item that was different from the one described in the listing (for example, you purchased a book, but received a hat).
    You received an item that was not as described in the item description.
    You received an item that was damaged during shipping.
    If he didn't tell you about it then I guess your good.
    What are you mean light bleed exactly anyways? I'm talking about the edge where the metal meets the glass is where my light bleed is occurring.
    I'm talking about the edges of the touch screen.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    No; the point is that it is not a defect - it is the nature of all backlit/edgelit screens to have lightbleed. Just as it is the nature of gasoline-powered automobiles to have exhaust and the nature of glass windows to be somewhat breakable.
    Just because light bleed can occur on LCD displays does not mean it is the nature of the display.

    Sure, gasoline powered automobiles produce exhaust, and when there's an issue with an engine, it's not uncommon for the exhaust to bellow out on clouds of smoke, but that doesn't mean you should accept that fact that your car can smoke out a city block as the nature of a gasoline powered vehicle.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post
    Just because light bleed can occur on LCD displays does not mean it is the nature of the display.

    Sure, gasoline powered automobiles produce exhaust, and when there's an issue with an engine, it's not uncommon for the exhaust to bellow out on clouds of smoke, but that doesn't mean you should accept that fact that your car can smoke out a city block as the nature of a gasoline powered vehicle.
    So it's not normal to have minor light bleed?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    So it's not normal to have minor light bleed?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    It may be a common defect, but it's still a defect. If you can live with it, cool, but when I spend hard earned money on anything, I expect to be investing in a properly functioning product. Whenever my N4 gets here, if I spy light bleed or any other *minor* issue I'll promptly have the device replaced.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    I can notice a little light bleed on the top right corner but only when the display is on full brightness, on auto in normal conditions there is nothing wrong with it. I don't like super bright display anyway and when it is on full brightness the black levels are not really good anymore so for me what I see on my device it is a non issue...
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    I do have a slight light bleed at the top of the display, but I can only notice it, when I am switching off the display. Can't see it otherwise. That's why it's a non issue for me.
    HTC One 32GB (silver), Nexus 4 16GB, iPhone 4s 16GB, Nexus 7 16GB
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    I'm going to call Google and ask for a replacement. If I can't get one, then I'm going to ask the seller for a refund.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  24. #24  
    jd914's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    804 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    I'm going to call Google and ask for a replacement. If I can't get one, then I'm going to ask the seller for a refund.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Depending on who sold it to you and where you bought it, you might be SOL with a refund.

    As for Google I'm pretty sure you can't get a warranty replacement from them because the device isn't on your Google Wallet account(I could be wrong), that's if you even have one. Good luck.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default Re: Light Bleed

    Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    Depending on who sold it to you and where you bought it, you might be SOL with a refund.

    As for Google I'm pretty sure you can't get a warranty replacement from them because the device isn't on your Google Wallet account(I could be wrong), that's if you even have one. Good luck.
    If all else fails, I can always file a Buyer Protection claim, but most sellers want to avoid that, since it looks bad on their account.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Similar Threads

  1. Light Bleeding Problem Question
    By Floridadomer in forum ASUS EeePad Transformer Prime
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 12:27 PM
  2. Back Light Bleed..
    By XzombieX66 in forum ASUS EeePad Transformer Prime
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-27-2011, 11:58 PM
  3. Samsung Galaxy S2 Light Bleed Effect Near Power Button
    By arcadence in forum Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-21-2011, 03:27 PM
  4. Light bleed?
    By varucell in forum ASUS EeePad Transformer
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 09:48 PM
  5. light bleed bottom left corner
    By TSX05 in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 10-inch
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-20-2011, 07:17 AM

Posting Permissions