Keyboard short cuts

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I've done that but seems it doesn't work when I use the shortcut.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

@@ wont work with shortcut. It has to be some words. I think that is weird. it might be a bug.

also if you are trying to do this on "To" email address on gmail or email app it wont work. even with shortcut words

vietalogy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I used "email" instead of "@@" works but still have to click on it to input instead of auto input. Wish it was more like BB and iPhone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

nigeljennings

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Download swiftkey3 keyboard from the app market and it learns what you type and offers precise predictions for what you intend to type next.
for instance i often message my daughter, on my way xxx. and i only have to open up the message app and start to type and it predicts it so in end up just accepting the predictions. and it also predicts my email address when i start to type it, its a brill app. try it.:)

ANewUser

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
On BB you have autotext (ie you setup abbreviations and full words/phrases and when you type the abbreviation, the full word types out in full - they are not "suggested", they just type out immediately.
Does this exist anywhere in Android?? If so, I'll buy an Android phone as apparently theres no Google Voice for BB 10 =(

wx27

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
On BB you have autotext (ie you setup abbreviations and full words/phrases and when you type the abbreviation, the full word types out in full - they are not "suggested", they just type out immediately.
Does this exist anywhere in Android?? If so, I'll buy an Android phone as apparently theres no Google Voice for BB 10 =(

Sounds like you are looking for Auto Text.
See: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...webstandard.firekeyslite&hl=en&token=jY48wq56

I also just migrated from a BB to the N4.

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just switched from BB to the Nexus 4. Had a curve then 9700 to 9900. The pure Google experience is amazing. No more workarounds like you had to do on your bb. You won't regret it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

wx27

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks - this looks great!
I'm thinking of making the same move (used BB for 10 yrs). Any other tips? Looks like the S3 and N4 are nice possibilities...

I went with the N4 for the pure google experience. The price for an unlocked phone was a big plus. Shed almost $20 off my monthly bill and have unlimited everything. I stayed with BB for so long because of the physical keyboard (which I still miss a little) and the great battery life I had on my 9650. I definitely wanted push email, though gmail basically has push on Android now and doesn't seem to take up too much battery. I had my BB synced with my google contacts and calendar, so the switch was pretty easy.

ANewUser

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I just switched from BB to the Nexus 4. Had a curve then 9700 to 9900. The pure Google experience is amazing. No more workarounds like you had to do on your bb. You won't regret it.

Nice, thanks for the comment. Very close to going Android thanks to lack of BB apps.
So you'd recommend N4 over S3?
Can I ask which keyboard you use, and any other app tips you might suggest for a BB type? =)

ANewUser

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I went with the N4 for the pure google experience. The price for an unlocked phone was a big plus. Shed almost $20 off my monthly bill and have unlimited everything. I stayed with BB for so long because of the physical keyboard (which I still miss a little) and the great battery life I had on my 9650. I definitely wanted push email, though gmail basically has push on Android now and doesn't seem to take up too much battery. I had my BB synced with my google contacts and calendar, so the switch was pretty easy.

Very nice and very tempting. 1 thing BB did which of course iPhone doesnt but which I'm hoping for is the ability to send a text message to a bunch of contacts, where the sms message will be sent to the mobile phone *and email address* of each recipient - ie sms to sms and sms to email at the touch of a button. Do you happen to know if this is possible on Android?

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nice, thanks for the comment. Very close to going Android thanks to lack of BB apps.
So you'd recommend N4 over S3?
Can I ask which keyboard you use, and any other app tips you might suggest for a BB type? =)

I went with the N4 mainly because of vanilla android and the price for an unlocked device is a steal if you buy it from Google. The standard keyboard is alright and has built in swipe as well. I tried out SwiftKey and I think the prediction is a bit better than the stock keyboard. I can just mash away at the key and it somehow knows what I'm typing. Pretty neat. I think I might actually be faster on this device than on my 9900. I'm pretty sure SwiftKey made the keyboard on the new z10. Plus with Google the voice recognition is extremely good if you don't want to type at all! Anyway I like typing with the phone in landscape.

It's just amazing how I get way more battery life out of this phone than with my 9900 and I'm doing much much more on it as well.

Plus the customization on this device is limitless. Much more than on bb. As for apps pretty much any major one is available on android. So again no more frustrating workaround like on bb. Skype was a big one for me and I'm so glad to have it on here now.

ANewUser

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I went with the N4 mainly because of vanilla android and the price for an unlocked device is a steal if you buy it from Google. The standard keyboard is alright and has built in swipe as well. I tried out SwiftKey and I think the prediction is a bit better than the stock keyboard. I can just mash away at the key and it somehow knows what I'm typing. Pretty neat. I think I might actually be faster on this device than on my 9900. I'm pretty sure SwiftKey made the keyboard on the new z10. Plus with Google the voice recognition is extremely good if you don't want to type at all! Anyway I like typing with the phone in landscape.

It's just amazing how I get way more battery life out of this phone than with my 9900 and I'm doing much much more on it as well.

Plus the customization on this device is limitless. Much more than on bb. As for apps pretty much any major one is available on android. So again no more frustrating workaround like on bb. Skype was a big one for me and I'm so glad to have it on here now.

Sounds sick ... if I can ask, are there extended batteries or other workarounds, as I hear N4 has non-removable battery?

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't really have issues with my battery. I take off the charger around 7am and have about 20-15% left by 10pm. On weekends sometimes I have 70% left at night but my usage pattern is probably going to be different from yours. On a work day I stream radio 1.5+ hrs and get about 2+hrs of screen time and the phone does fine.

ANewUser

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't really have issues with my battery. I take off the charger around 7am and have about 20-15% left by 10pm. On weekends sometimes I have 70% left at night but my usage pattern is probably going to be different from yours. On a work day I stream radio 1.5+ hrs and get about 2+hrs of screen time and the phone does fine.

Wow ... Are you using LTE? (I'm on Bell). Because there's lots of bad reports about battery life for Nexus 4 (and I find 9900 battery life pretty bad - I get 6-7 hrs max), I'm looking into portable options for Nexus 4 but cant find any viable ones. This might push me towards S3 .....

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm on hspa+ get about 20?25mbps. I should say though that when I'm at home the phone is on WiFi. I think that helps with battery life.

ANewUser

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm on hspa+ get about 20?25mbps. I should say though that when I'm at home the phone is on WiFi. I think that helps with battery life.

Ah ok I see. On my 9900 WIFI actually eats batt life quickly.
So no regrets about going to Android? Do you still use your BB?

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The camera is also way better... yes auto focus something the 9900 should have had. I wish I had a physical button but I guess that's a hardware issue.

I can't say about other android experiences but the pure vanilla experience in the nexus 4 is amazing. Most tech reviews agree it is the smoothest yet.

I do have my bold still and feel that the keyboard is cramped and the screen too small. Notifications still come in nicely and you can configure the led to different colors using third party apps. Gmail is pushed although sometimes I see a min or two lag. My yahoo is set at 5 min so no biggie. You can also install other email apps that will get you push ie the official yahoo app. So I feel like I haven't lost anything in the email department. I have 4 accounts on my phone.

I used bbm a lot but then most of my friends switched to other platforms. There are apps like what's app that will connect cross platform.

I never see any lag! No more hour glassing like on my 9900. There are a bugs here and there but I rarely have to do a reboot. One bug that annoyed me was the camera would not take pics. Had to quit the app and relaunch to fix.

Well not to bore others on this thread but you can pm me if you have more specific questions.