Hide keyboard by default

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
Some apps default the cursor into the text input field, which causes the keyboard to appear. Though sometimes I am not desiring to type anything and just want to read, and the keyboard intrusively showing up when I don't need it and taking up screen space is annoying. Is there any way to disable this? Or is it just how apps are programmed?

Using Samsung Galaxy A23 5G.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There is no way to disable this unless you have a physical keyboard connected to your device (and even then, whatever physical keyboard options like suggestion bar or language keys would still appear on screen).

Reactions: NJMike

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
When the keyboard pops up, there is usually a "down" arrow at the bottom, under the keyboard. Just tap the down arrow and it drops the keyboard back out of the way.

Reactions: MarvBear

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
There is no way to disable this unless you have a physical keyboard connected to your device (and even then, whatever physical keyboard options like suggestion bar or language keys would still appear on screen).
I figured, just me being weird I suppose.

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
When the keyboard pops up, there is usually a "down" arrow at the bottom, under the keyboard. Just tap the down arrow and it drops the keyboard back out of the way.
I am aware of this, but what I was asking was if there was a way to make the keyboard not show up in general unless I manually have it come up. Though as the other person stated it's not really possible.

SeeBeeEss

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
Being able to temporarily disable the keyboard from popping up and getting in the way sounds like something others might also appreciate. Consider sending feedback to Google that they provide that capability in future updates.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Ruchi Chandel

Mar 28, 2024
Visit site
Some apps default the cursor into the text input field, which causes the keyboard to appear. Though sometimes I am not desiring to type anything and just want to read, and the keyboard intrusively showing up when I don't need it and taking up screen space is annoying. Is there any way to disable this? Or is it just how apps are programmed?

Using Samsung Galaxy A23 5G.
On Android devices like your Samsung Galaxy A23 5G, there might be system-level settings related to keyboard behavior. Go to your device's settings, then look for options related to keyboards or input methods. You might find settings that allow you to control when the keyboard appears.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I usually hit the back button and it removes the keyboard like in Google search it pops up automatically or in the Play Store search field.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter