I am sure I will get ripped and floged for this

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I have the phone for half a day.
I came from an HTC EVO 4G on Sprint.

I don't see what the big deal is about this phone. It is only marginally better than the 2 and a half year old HTC.

Quit frankly the only thing that I find significantly better is the chrome browser vs the opera or dolphin browser I was stuck with.

I don't use the camera for anything other than quick snapshots and the video on the HTC was pretty bad.

If I did not want to go to a prepaid plan on a network other than Sprint there is no way I would spend the money to change phones.

I am not saying the N4 is a bad phone, but I am saying that in my opinion it is no big deal vs a phone that is over two years old.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Look REALLLL HARDER. Its plenty of things different than an evo 4g running GB. Not so much a casual user might notice but real differences none the less. One thing core power. Try running more than one app on the n4 vs the evo and see what happens not to mention jb and Google now

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
No reason to rip on you or anyone. You have a valid opinion. I had a Nexus S for a week when the GSM version came out and I remember thinking what a joke this plain jane phone is. I am a Samsung Galaxy user. I have had the Captivate, SGSII, SGSII Skyrocket, GNote International, GNote ATT, SGSIII and currently have a Note 2 on ATT.

It wasn't until I got the Nexus 7 after Thanksgiving that I began to appreciate the simplicity of Android and the lack of bloatware. (I think I deleted 12 to 14 apps on my Note 2 after rooting). The Note 2 has so many features that I cannot use them all and do not try. I like the s pen, large screen and LTE. Touchwiz has some nice features but pure Jelly Bean is nice.

I like the size and feel of my Nexus 4 and it has worked well for me. (I only use it on Fridays through Sunday then go back to my Note 2). I used Google wallet at CVS today so that was a great feeling. I refuse to use ISIS with ATT and give ATT more money for limiting my choice to use Google wallet on my Note 2. I think the real value will come when KLP comes out and everyone is crying and complaining about updates etc and the Nexus 4 gets the first round of updates. The only think I miss so far is LTE and I can do HSPA+ over the weekends. The phone is so hyped and everyone is in a frenzy to get one that I can see how reality might be a bit like "so this is it"

So no, you should not get flamed for your opinion. I just happen to think the Nexus 4 is a simple OS with killer specs. Simple is good!

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

I don't see what the big deal is about this phone. It is only marginally better than the 2 and a half year old HTC.

Quit frankly the only thing that I find significantly better is the chrome browser vs the opera or dolphin browser I was stuck with.

I don't use the camera for anything other than quick snapshots and the video on the HTC was pretty bad.

If I did not want to go to a prepaid plan on a network other than Sprint there is no way I would spend the money to change phones.

I am not saying the N4 is a bad phone, but I am saying that in my opinion it is no big deal vs a phone that is over two years old.

I'm not really a spec hound myself--and this is my first Android phone. But that said, I look at the N4 as a very solid piece of hardware (OK minus the camera maybe, which I could care less about), coupled with a rather revolutionary approach to marketing...unlocked, contract free, reasonably priced. Well Revolutionary for the states anyway. Its not that the phone can't be matched, its that no other phone delivers similar quality, unlocked for the same price point. Just my .02.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

You sound like someone who is more concerned with cost of the carrier over the hardware you're using. I loved my old EVO 4G, but it was acting up so much after the GB update (and I was tired of getting replacements from Sprint that fixed one problem while introducing another) that I finally ditched it for a Photon. My MoPho is a great phone, but it doesn't hold a candle to my Nexus 4 in terms of speed and overall joy of use. But then I use my phone for all sorts of things, and technology fascinates me.

A friend of mine picked up an EVO 4G about a month after I did. He still uses it, with no interest in switching to a new phone. One of my clients also has an EVO 4G, with an expanded battery because he works in the back of beyond and is roaming half the day. Also seems to have no interest in changing. The EVO 4G was a great phone, and for many people it's all they need. You're in good company in that regard.

Me? I'll stick with my N4, thanks.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of stock android. Tried cm 10 on my gs3. Went back to a touchwize rom after a week

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
My nexus is coming in soon. I'll be switching from my note 2 on verizon with unlimited data so my expectations are high. I am switching for financial reasons.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

OK that's just silly I ran the evo all the way into ICS and it could never outperform these newer phones. It's still a nice phone but you're blind if you can't see a massive difference in performance especially graphically intense games and multitasking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

I envy you. I wish I couldn't see the massive difference between an OG EVO and a Nexus 4. It would save me a lot of money on new phones.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
OK that's just silly I ran the evo all the way into ICS and it could never outperform these newer phones. It's still a nice phone but you're blind if you can't see a massive difference in performance especially graphically intense games and multitasking.

First of all I am not blind. I did say that that the major significant difference is in the browser. I am not a gamer at all. As far as multitasking, the only MT that I do is work with emails while talking on the phone, and I can assure you that doing that does put any strain on the processor and effect the performance of the phone.

Don't get me wrong I like the N4, I just don't think that for me it is any big deal.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Really depends on what you use a phone for. Doesn't sound like you do anything that requires the quad core.... or NFC.... etc etc...

The best analogy I can make is a basic internet and email user's opinion on the latest high powered desktop. They aren't gong to notice anything different from their single core pentium on windows 98.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Obviously, the things that you want to do with your phone don't require much processing speed or UI interface. Why don"t you just sell the N4 (plenty of people are wanting it right now), and stick with your evo?

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site

Obviously, the things that you want to do with your phone don't require much processing speed or UI interface. Why don"t you just sell the N4 (plenty of people are wanting it right now), and stick with your evo?

Because I want to be rid of Sprint and the $50 plus more it costs monthly for the two phones we use, and I do dislike the browsers I am forced into Dolphin, or Opera on the EVO.

mrg9999

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I love the N4
Bought 2, sold them straight away on eBay, used profit to buy another.
Downsides - can't get a decent screen protector still.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
My nexus is coming in soon. I'll be switching from my note 2 on verizon with unlimited data so my expectations are high. I am switching for financial reasons.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

You are going to be let down. I went from the GN4 to the Note 2, and there is no comparisons. The Note 2 is much better phone than the GN4. The Note 2 is worth the $300 more than the GN4.

Last edited:

maryjane2300

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
You are going to be let down. I went from the GN4 to the Note 2, and there is no comparisons. The Note 2 is much better phone than the GN2. The Note 2 is worth the $300 more than the GN2.

Note 2 is better than the gn2 huh.......? Makes sense

SlugHunter

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

I can understand where you are going from. I've had my Nexus 4 for a full week now. I am a very light user and I don't play games. I had my EVO 3D for 19 months and it was rock solid after the ICS upgrade. I changed because I wanted to get away from Sprint and lower my bill. I also got very used to having Sense on my phone. I look forward to putting apps and widgets on the Nexus that I want on it. I have already rooted the phone and look forward to learn more about that part of it.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
not sure if this is covered but i'm pretty sure it's a lot better than the HTC evo. Not experienced about that phone but the hardware is top of the line and it is noticeable especially when running games and loading it too. Of course if you are just using basic applications like evernote and facebook then you won't see a difference. Because those are low end applications and doesn't need much power to run it.