Nexus 4 (JB 4.2.1) Group text - effect on others?

KarlDag

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone!

Just got my Nexus 4, jumping ship from an iPhone 4s. Loving it so far, but I have a question. Did lost of research, can't find an answer:

I KNOW that the 4.2.1 messaging app can do group texts with iPhone users (made my wife and parents get one, because they are not tech savy and want something that "just works"). So fr it's not been working properly, but I suspect it might have something to do with my imessage still registered somewhere.

Anyways, my question: When using the MMS option ot group text, I am sending a MMS, which is included in my monthly fees, but what about the others? When they answer through iMessage, do they send MMS too? If so, that's going to be charges on their end... or is it standard SMSs that they are sending? They are usually not treated the same by carriers here in Canada.

Thanks!

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression that iMessage used MMS to send its messages out. As far as I know, it's not like BBM where it's an entirely separate service, just MMS wrapped in a fancy package. So yes, it would require/use data.

And for the record, I've experienced problems in the past (not with the Nexus, but with a different Android phone) with iPhone users including me on iMessage chats. I didn't get any of them for a while, and then suddenly I got the whole shebang all at once. Not very useful for participating in the conversation. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thewhitecarno