Turning off HSPA+ on the Nexus 4

nexus4auir

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey folks,

I'm wondering if there is a way to turn off HSPA+ on the Nexus 4 using the stock OS?

Thanks!

It's a drain on the battery as my phone is constantly switching from 3G to H.

Noncon

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Follow the instructions for turning on LTE, but in your case select EVDO only. Never tried it, but it should work.

Ooops...I was mistaken, EVDO is also 3G.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
This phone isn't in a constant search mode, it rest/idles at 3G, then as soon a it receives a data request, it processes it via H+. I seriously doubt that forcing it off of H+ is going to have any effect at all on your battery. That does work on LTE phones, but that's because LTE is such a battery killer. I don't find that to be the case with H+. What kind of battery problems are you having? If you're getting somewhere between 2.5 and 5 hours of screen time, that's about all anyone gets. That's not a N4 situation, it's pretty much the same for every Android device out there. These phones have awesome screens and mega power, but that comes at the price of shorter battery life.

nexus4auir

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for explaining how the switching works!

It was simply my assumption that this was a drain and the phone was actively seeking instead of receiving the signals.

I've been having some initial battery drain and was worried this was contributing to it. For example, 25% loss overnight with the screen off and Wifi on. For some reason, Wifi never turned off as it should, but that's another issue.

I've optimized my setting at the moment so I'll test it out over the next few days.

Thanks!!! I love this phone, having upgraded a few days ago from the old Nexus S.

[Edit: my biggest or only complaint is the battery in general. I do wish they go the way of Motorola and equip the phone with a battery with some longevity. I use this thing like a tablet.]

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for explaining how the switching works!

It was simply my assumption that this was a drain and the phone was actively seeking instead of receiving the signals.

I've been having some initial battery drain and was worried this was contributing to it. For example, 25% loss overnight with the screen off and Wifi on. For some reason, Wifi never turned off as it should, but that's another issue.

I've optimized my setting at the moment so I'll test it out over the next few days.

Thanks!!! I love this phone, having upgraded a few days ago from the old Nexus S.

[Edit: my biggest or only complaint is the battery in general. I do wish they go the way of Motorola and equip the phone with a battery with some longevity. I use this thing like a tablet.]

You can force the phone to use 2g networks only via mobile network settings but that's only useful if you're not planning on doing anything going data intensive.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Wireless Gadget

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If battery drain is your concern, like the previous posts suggest, switch to 2G to save battery and turn off auto brightness and have your screen turned down to the absolute minimum or to a level you can tolerate. Turning the screen bright ness to the minimum is better in night driving and when using Google Maps. Google Maps will work in 2G but map updates are slower.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed and there's a thread about it but battery life seems to be better with 4.2.2 (both stock and with customs ROMs like CM)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Also check how much background syncing you have going on. Lot of Google apps sync in the background. Once I turned off most of the crap (Currents, Books, Movies) I saw a big change.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo