Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Why not double the storage for $50. Nothing bad can come out of it. Better and easier to sell when u do.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

adam514

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Why not double the storage for $50. Nothing bad can come out of it. Better and easier to sell when u do.

Read my post at the top of page 2 regarding resale.

I'm amazed this thread is still going strong with some of the same arguments in the first 2 pages. I think we can all basically just agree to disagree ;)

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
It all depends on what you're using it for. If you use your N4 for music (well plan on it) then go for the 16gb. I don't use it for that purpose and truth is most apps really don't take up a whole lot of space so I got the 8gb and I'm perfectly fine with it. I disagree with the guy above me, if you don't need the space why waste 50 bucks? I recommend looking at your old phone and seeing what you've used.

I agree. I don't know ANYONE that has 5GB of apps installed. Personally I don't have any music on my Nexus 4, I have the 8GB and that's all I need. If you are going to use it as a camera and an MP3 player than sure 16GB is the way to go.
I still think it was a bad move on Googles part to NOT have an MicroSD Expansion Slot. But oh well.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
My thought is $50 is really nothing when u think about it. 6 months down the road you won't notice an extra $50 out of your pocket but you will notice it if their is a lack of storage space on your phone. If the 16gb was anymore than $50 like $100 extra then I'd carefully decide. I'd always rather have to much storage space than to little

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My thought is $50 is really nothing when u think about it. 6 months down the road you won't notice an extra $50 out of your pocket but you will notice it if their is a lack of storage space on your phone. If the 16gb was anymore than $50 like $100 extra then I'd carefully decide. I'd always rather have to much storage space than to little

It totally depends on the person. I use cloud storage for everything. I could get away with a 4gb phone.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
After buying the biggest capacity iPhone the last few years that I could get, I realized that I was just wasting money because I rarely used everything I had on it to begin with.

When I saw the 16GB N4, I knew it would be perfect. At first I started loading music on from my computer but them I discovered Google Music and that it was free to use. I have less music then what the limit it for using the service and it will take years to ever reach that amount. I've used it via my WiFi and using my N4 or N7s AT&T data connection and the music that streams sounds great no matter which I use.

That leaves about 13GB for anything else that I want which will be pictures and apps. That's a whole lot of apps and pictures.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
After buying the biggest capacity iPhone the last few years that I could get, I realized that I was just wasting money because I rarely used everything I had on it to begin with.

When I saw the 16GB N4, I knew it would be perfect. At first I started loading music on from my computer but them I discovered Google Music and that it was free to use. I have less music then what the limit it for using the service and it will take years to ever reach that amount. I've used it via my WiFi and using my N4 or N7s AT&T data connection and the music that streams sounds great no matter which I use.

That leaves about 13GB for anything else that I want which will be pictures and apps. That's a whole lot of apps and pictures.

Ya the difference in each iPhone model is $100 isn't it? Lien said anymore than $50 I would think about it a lot. No way I'd pay $499 for a 64 GB iphone when the 16gb is $299. That's a big price jump. From $299 to $349 isn't much.

PaulMilander

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site

Some like myself have a budget, mortgage, kids, etc and you get what you can afford. The 50 I saved went towards other expenses in my life. I could eat out at a fancy restaurant or Subway... I choose what fits my budget

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Oh Snap! I totally forgot where you are. My bad....

You mean your phone isn't your number one priority in life!!! Jk jk I completely understand that. I ha e friends who just in the past month used an upgrade on a galaxy S3 and the iPhone 4s both because of the price.

dturano547

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I dont think the space would be a deal breaker for most people, i wished there was an SD card but honestly if there was in my opinion they would just need to sell the 8gb.

With my nexus 4 ship date expected for later this month and the 8gb listed as shipping this week im tempted to grab the 8gb because im impatient.

Did anyone buy the 8gb because they felt (and received) it sooner? or actually because they space was and is not an issue? Also any 16gb users out there currently maxed out and wishing for more space?

If you have good wifi and cel coverage - why not use the $50 bucks for more google drive space?

1 TB $49.99

https://support.google.com/drive/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375123

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I dont think the space would be a deal breaker for most people, i wished there was an SD card but honestly if there was in my opinion they would just need to sell the 8gb.

With my nexus 4 ship date expected for later this month and the 8gb listed as shipping this week im tempted to grab the 8gb because im impatient.

Did anyone buy the 8gb because they felt (and received) it sooner? or actually because they space was and is not an issue? Also any 16gb users out there currently maxed out and wishing for more space?

If you have good wifi and cel coverage - why not use the $50 bucks for more google drive space?

1 TB $49.99

https://support.google.com/drive/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375123

1tb on Google Drive is $50 a month not a one time payment.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I've got the 8GB version, and I've actually been pretty happy with it. Capacity hasn't really been all that important for me like it would have in the past because of the cloud.

There's some stuff I've put directly onto the device, but just a few albums. It's not that I can't stand music or anything, but most of the time I really prefer silence. I find that music generally interrupts my concentration, so most of the time I'm not playing anything, anyhow.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I got the 16 for me and my girlfriend because I felt 8 wouldn't be enough in the long run. I have never had more than 20GB on a phone ever and she has never had more than 8. But considering on the 8 your left with about 5 for personal use, we would be cutting close 6+ months down the road. I would rather not have to decide witch apps, music, pictures etc to keep and what to delete. So far for me I have 200 songs, 30 pics, a few short videos of family get togethers, and about 20 apps(Real Racing 3 is by far my biggest app/game) on my phone and have 8 GB left. With no exandable storage, and T-Mobile dosen't have the greatest data speeds where I live/work/travel (at most I have HSPA 15), the cloud dosen't really work for me. AT&T has decent data speeds, but a 1GB cap won't go far in a month for $65 a month, I would go back to Verizon if I wanted to live in the cloud.

Edit: I should also say that of the 20GB I had, I could have easily deleted 10 of them, just never did since I had the space.

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I guess it depends on what you do with it. I either stream, use cloud space, or use Splashtop. I picked the 16 GB N4 and its not going to pass my 11GB free space but if I had chosen the 8GB version then I could feel a little cramped with only 3 GB remaining. Depending on what you use your phone for I could see feeling cramped really fast as 8GB. It's total space, not extra.

LambdaJuuichi

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I live in Mexico and just bought me a Nexus 4 off of ebay because if I tried to buy it at the Mexican play store they would charge me around 730 for the 8gb version alone. I don't really have anyone in the states to ship the phone to me and with taxes and shipping to the states, it would come up to a whopping 400+ for the 8gb or so AND I still need to pay for the shipping to Mexico. At ebay I found the 8gb version for pretty much the same price so I ordered it from there.
However, as I wait for my smartphone to arrive I started to wonder if I made the right choice of getting the 8gb version and even on ebay the difference between the 16 and the 8gb versions was around 50 bucks if not more. Now, keep in mind that I live in Mexico where a decent salary is pretty much the minimum wage at the states from working at McDonald's, so 50 bucks really hits the wallet of someone living here.
Even with that I still wonder if I did make the right choice and I stumbled upon these threads and videos where I get mostly mixed opinions, I had to get this phone with my dad's help and he didn't want me to spend more than $400 on a phone because he's gonna be paying it and I'll pay him every 2 weeks when I get my paychecks, let alone 500.
Also, cell phone prices here are ridiculous. Like the galaxy s3 is still almost $1,000 without a contract, and the price doesn't go much lower with one.
What do you think? Would you have done the same as I did?

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I live in Mexico and just bought me a Nexus 4 off of ebay because if I tried to buy it at the Mexican play store they would charge me around 730 for the 8gb version alone. I don't really have anyone in the states to ship the phone to me and with taxes and shipping to the states, it would come up to a whopping 400+ for the 8gb or so AND I still need to pay for the shipping to Mexico. At ebay I found the 8gb version for pretty much the same price so I ordered it from there.
However, as I wait for my smartphone to arrive I started to wonder if I made the right choice of getting the 8gb version and even on ebay the difference between the 16 and the 8gb versions was around 50 bucks if not more. Now, keep in mind that I live in Mexico where a decent salary is pretty much the minimum wage at the states from working at McDonald's, so 50 bucks really hits the wallet of someone living here.
Even with that I still wonder if I did make the right choice and I stumbled upon these threads and videos where I get mostly mixed opinions, I had to get this phone with my dad's help and he didn't want me to spend more than $400 on a phone because he's gonna be paying it and I'll pay him every 2 weeks when I get my paychecks, let alone 500.
Also, cell phone prices here are ridiculous. Like the galaxy s3 is still almost $1,000 without a contract, and the price doesn't go much lower with one.
What do you think? Would you have done the same as I did?

Depends on how much storage you use. Based on my usage, I purchased the 16GB version because I like to toy around with a lot of apps. I've used about 5.3 GB of data (including cached data), which is about the same as the amount of usable storage the 8GB version has.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the 8GB and I'm still okay been using the phone for 4 months and still have 4GB left. I clear my cache from time to time but I don't store music on my phone and have almost all my pictures and videos in Google drive.

SC1

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I store about 100songs on my phone, 20 apps and 1000photos on the Google drive and I have about 4.3gb left. So I'd say your fine unless your a heavy user with a 100+ apps.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I store about 100songs on my phone, 20 apps and 1000photos on the Google drive and I have about 4.3gb left. So I'd say your fine unless your a heavy user with a 100+ apps.

Google Drive doesn't affect internal storage unless files are stored offline.