Possible switch from VZW

Knyte

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Contract almost up and I have been eyeing the N4. I currently have a MAXX and a S3 and was curious if going to the N4 is a wise choice. Been with VZW for a good number of years so if I grab a N4 from the play store which SIM will be the best bang for the buck?

josegb2011

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Well I made the switch from Verizon to T-Mobile since I got my N4 and never looked back ..only pay $30 bucks without a contract a month for what I need..the n4 is for people that want freedom from carriers so up to you

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Contract almost up and I have been eyeing the N4. I currently have a MAXX and a S3 and was curious if going to the N4 is a wise choice. Been with VZW for a good number of years so if I grab a N4 from the play store which SIM will be the best bang for the buck?

Best bang for your buck is one of tmobiles prepaid plans if u have good T-Mobile coverage. Or one of straight talk att plans. I've had both and prefer the T-Mobile plan.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Once you get your Nexus 4 you are going to be absolutely satisfied with your decision. Nexus is all about freedom from the control carriers have over phones and all the bloatware that comes with it. Quick updates straight from Google, high end phone and an unbeatable price. Congrats!

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Here's an idea of T-Mobile speed also. I'm only in an hspa+ 21mbps market. And this was with 2-3 bars. Note on straight talk ATT I see maybe 3mbps download and 1mbps upload.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360756152930.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360756152930.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 71

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

N4 plays great on T-Mobile (or MVNO like Solavei.) It really depends on if you have good T-Mobile coverage in your area and what you're looking for in the way of service - how much data and talk do you need?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Knyte

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
as much as I can get lol I started kicking myself when we switched to VZW share everything plan.. wishing we had kept unlimited data.. I am hearing that the new 4.2.2 breaks LTE? LTE should be in Norfolk VA. so does that mean no LTE until another update and it would just be a 3G phone?

Also how is the LG antennae compared to Moto(best IMO), HTC(eh mediocre), Sammy(FML)?

Last edited:

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
as much as I can get lol I started kicking myself when we switched to VZW share everything plan.. wishing we had kept unlimited data.. I am hearing that the new 4.2.2 breaks LTE? LTE should be in Norfolk VA. so does that mean no LTE until another update and it would just be a 3G phone?

Also how is the LG antennae compared to Moto(best IMO), HTC(eh mediocre), Sammy(FML)?

Here are my views on the T-Mobile prepaid plans out there. Of course, you have to be happy with T-Mobile's coverage.
1. T-Mobile $30 100 talk minutes / unlimited text and data. Data throttled after 5GB. This is a great deal if you don't need the talk minutes.
2. Solavei (T-Mobile MVNO) $49 unlimited talk / text / data. Data throtted after 4GB. This is the plan I chose. (For $50 the plan from T-Mobile only gives 100MB of unthrottled data.)
3. T-Mobile $70 unlimited everything, unthrottled - If you really need a lot of data.

Solavei is also doing a referral sign up program which can effectively lower its rate. It's optional and costs nothing - I find it entertaining.

I didn't mention Straight Talk because they don't have a defined data plan. There are too many reviews about seemingly random throttling. I prefer to know what I'm buying.

As far as the lte goes... If you check the Nexus 4 threads some people are taking the 4.2.2 update then flashing the old radio to get lte back. I don't know how complicated this is. Regardless, the Nexus 4 is hspa+ 42 compatible which is what T-Mobile calls 4g. (It's lte band is the same one T-Mobile is rolling out. It has virtually no lte compatibility on the ATT network.)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I just sold my Verizon S3 for a T-Mobile S3 and jumped on Straight Talk. Loving it so far. Videos actually load MUCH faster than on Verizon. I was very surprised as I anticipated a huge downgrade. For the cost difference, I would take the downgraded service. But so far it hasn't been a downgrade at all. Freedom from a contract is my new definition of happiness.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums