How are you guys coping with the crappy battery life

palandri

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
A lot of people that I play Ingress with carry around an external battery pack (and I usually do too). They come in all sorts of sizes and shapes. Their screens are on all of the time, WiFi, Data, GPS all on. It's not an ideal solution for everyone, but I think it's a pretty good investment. You can find 10,000mA packs for about $60, which is about 4-5 complete charges.

Eveready has some that are credit card size, but about 3/16" thick. I'll carry one when I am on vacation and taking a lot of pictures and movies.

To the original question about battery life, my Nexus 4 has been fine. It last all day without a problem. I don't install a lot of applications or music. I've installed, Amazon application store, Amazon MP3 cloud service, Air France, Flickr, MLB at bat, notepad and TuneIn radio pro.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
it's the GPS that's killing you. Toggle that when you don't need it and you will add a lot more juice.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Yeah I know that is the worst to leave on. But its a pain to turn it on and off multiple times a day, I like to just leave it on.

I've never had this phone die on me during the day. Battery life was fine for me before, but it is now great for my standards.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

fredwardnelson

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
No JD is actually a bandaid it doesn't attack the problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I disagree. Radio management is what many members have been discussing, that's what JD does.

I get over four hours screen on time and that's with 12 hours off the charger with it. It does work.

It won't help if there is app leakage or a system drainage problem, but it does fix radio management.

bassdelux15

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Unless you're coming from a RAZR maxx, I don't see how this has crappy battery life. I get 16 to 18 hours easily. The only things I disabled were things I don't use (currents, play movie, play magazines, etc). I keep Bluetooth, GPS, and WiFi off when not in use. WiFi and Bluetooth are easily toggled via quick settings and I have a NFC tag in my car for GPS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm very surprised nobody mentioned this but..

When I first activated my N4 I went to the zoo and took many many, HDR pictures within the span of a couple hours. When I got to the car I saw my battery almost dead (was also using Google maps to get there and back). I then realized what the problem was, I had instant upload turned on. For google+ AND for dropbox.

Those were huge killers, so now I just have them set to upload when I'm only wifi and plugged in. My battery life is great, no problems.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I had pretty terrible battery life, but when I looked into it it was being caused by Notes Traveler for Lotus Notes. I changed the synch from continuous to every 15 minutes and that gave me a 50% improvement in the battery life. If anyone has Notes Traveler take a look at the synch settings. Also shows how one app trying to synch continuously can cause a significant issue. Had normal use yesterday and ran for 16 hours with 3 hours screen time and had 25% left when I put it back on the charger. Not stupendous battery life, but very useable now.

Lotus notes kills every phone I've had

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
4.2.2 helped I think

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361174684348.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361174684348.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 148

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
i suffer no hardships doing this -

Battery Tips for Android

1. Toggle off LTE, WIFI, GPS, BT, NFC, Hotspot. Toggle on as needed.
2. Display Brightness - Turn off Auto Brightness and Reduce Setting Bar to Minimum.
3. Sign out of Google Latitude, GTalk, G+, Google Now, and Messenger. Disable Location Reporting/History.
4. Beware of constantly syncing Apps and Bloatware like Facebook, Twitter, News, Non-Push Email, etc. Set Sync interval for every 1 hour or more.
5. Turn off keyboard haptic feedback.
6. Don't use Live Wallpaper. Use dark wallpaper if possible.
7. Set Display Sleep Setting to 2 Minutes or Less.
8. Set WIFI to Always stay on during Sleep if you regularly use WIFI.
9. Turn off vibrate for Emails.
10. Be careful of using too many live widgets.
11. Sync Exchange Emails 30 Days or less.
12. Do NOT use a Task Killer App.

I think if I switched even one of those off I'd forget which it was and probably that I'd even done it!

What would be helpful for scatter brains like me would be some kind of macro app that could switch all these, or a user defined selection, on and off with the touch of one button on the home screen. The button's state could show if your personal selection is on or off (from green to red for example). Simple things like that make using a phone easier and would extend battery life considerably without having to recall what you switched off and where to switch it back on again!

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
This is what I do...

_Deal_with_it_dog.gif

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I think if I switched even one of those off I'd forget which it was and probably that I'd even done it!

What would be helpful for scatter brains like me would be some kind of macro app that could switch all these, or a user defined selection, on and off with the touch of one button on the home screen. The button's state could show if your personal selection is on or off (from green to red for example). Simple things like that make using a phone easier and would extend battery life considerably without having to recall what you switched off and where to switch it back on again!

Look into these options, they can all handle that in slightly different ways : Tasker, any Toggle app, Juice Defender.

Chimpware

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
4.2.2 seems to have improved the situation further for me. Loaded it last night and this morning after 6 hours off the charger with reasonable use, 1 1/2 hours of screen time, I am at 70%.

gigabitex2

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
N4 at an idle, stock 4.2.1 no gaming, only 1.5 hrs sot, WiFi on-always, sync on, NFC on, location on, GPS access on.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361219349060.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361219349060.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 37
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361219366667.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361219366667.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 38
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361219379345.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361219379345.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 37

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I TURN GOOGLE NOW off and syncing with certain apps specially Google play books magazines and others that I don't use...

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe in turning off all the features that make this phone so great. All I do is remember to top up battery: this is where wireless chargers are so darn important. Just set it down, it tops up and I never have to worry about battery life and turning off every single feature.

Sent from my Nexus 7