$99 nexus 5?

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
No, definitely wouldn't buy a hundred dollar Nexus from Huawei or ZTE. Sounds like an awful idea. What's next, a Casio Nexus? I say leave the job to the major OEMs, at least they can be depended on for the most part. I wouldn't mind buying a phone from Huawei in general, though. The Ascend P1 seems like a nice phone. I just wouldn't trust the quality of a phone that's sold for a hundred dollars. Too many corners would have to be cut.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR i

Last edited:

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
If i needed a new phone, YES.
Chinese makes great phones e.g Xiaomi 2.
Personally they are on the ball, a guy i train with saying if you bring anything new there they scan it or mould it in customs...
Like he says if he brought his racing bought there it would be moulded as since everyone which has been brought there its been moulded then a few months later - same thing but slighly less build quality is made for 1/4 of the price.

Everything is made over there anyways/

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a lot of you are making judgements about Chinese phones before even trying them. You do realize HTC, Samsung, LG were all thought of as lesser brands just like Japanese cars once used to be. China is making the same in-roads, but at a much faster pace.

Android is an open platform, Chinese manufacturers can make them without worrying about intellectual property such as for Apple's iOS. The only part that Google is tight about is their apps like Google Now, Google Maps, Google Search...etc. So the only cost is hardware, even the design has already been worked out by Apple/Samsung/HTC/LG & other manufacturers, they copy them pretty well. The investments are already made, they may not be the most innovative or new (at least yet). But recently China manufacturers are experimenting with their own designs rather than copying the bigger OEMs.

As for quality, smartphones (just like other electronics & PC components) are commodities now, mainly electronic boards inside, with a glass touchscreen panel. Just like how luxury car makers try to sell you on faux wood, high-quality cow-hide leather, prestige... etc not everyone wants to pay for that fluff, & most don't.

Finally don't forget Apple's products are made in China, so anyone who has worked in their factories can pass the knowledge & manufacturing expertise to a smaller startup and start making similar devices in ShenZhen.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So I think it may be true that Chinese products are improving, but they are nowhere near the level of the big players yet. The likelihood of Google partnering with ZTE, in my opinion, is so low that I'd bet my socks against it every day of the week. In the future I could see the possibility, but they need to establish themselves as 1. innovative 2. international players 3. coming to the table with ideas to contribute. Missing any one of those things means it's a one sided relationship, and Google will hopefully remain too smart to jump into a relationship where they gain literally nothing and stand to lose much.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Wow no wonder Americans are not taken seriously.

Uh, what? I thought the grudge against Americans is that we're arrogant and think we're the center of the universe. But wishing to invest in ones' own country means one should not be taken seriously? I'm sorry, but I don't follow that logic whatsoever. It's called patriotism, and most Americans have a lack of it. I'm not sure where you're from, but your comment is absurd.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Wow no wonder Americans are not taken seriously.

Becuase this person has a sense of national pride? How did you think the USA got to be global economic powerhouse it is today? US citizens can thank people like this who are willing to spend a little bit more on a product to support our own economy, when feasible, for all of the jobs that have began to come back to the states after being outsourced for cheap labor etc. etc. Far too few of these types of people exisits, if you're a patriotic American, and the results have been showing over the years. I'm speaking strictly economics, plenty of politics none of us can get our heads around.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like a lot of you are making judgements about Chinese phones before even trying them. You do realize HTC, Samsung, LG were all thought of as lesser brands just like Japanese cars once used to be. China is making the same in-roads, but at a much faster pace.

It's not about the product, it's about the company making the product. Huawei and ZTE are cited often for security risks. And their ties to the Chinese government have been questioned. I have multiple experiences with HTC products. They were high quality, well made, and performed flawlesssly. I would buy another HTC product in a heartbeat. Even voted for them in an earlier AC poll about who should make the upcoming Nexus (now the N4) phone. But if HTC would ever get the same negative publicity as Huawei and ZTE I wouldn't buy from them either.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Uh, what? I thought the grudge against Americans is that we're arrogant and think we're the center of the universe. But wishing to invest in ones' own country means one should not be taken seriously? I'm sorry, but I don't follow that logic whatsoever. It's called patriotism, and most Americans have a lack of it. I'm not sure where you're from, but your comment is absurd.

I may have misinterpreted your previous post apologies

- - - Updated - - -

Becuase this person has a sense of national pride? How did you think the USA got to be global economic powerhouse it is today? US citizens can thank people like this who are willing to spend a little bit more on a product to support our own economy, when feasible, for all of the jobs that have began to come back to the states after being outsourced for cheap labor etc. etc. Far too few of these types of people exisits, if you're a patriotic American, and the results have been showing over the years. I'm speaking strictly economics, plenty of politics none of us can get our heads around.
As. I said earlier I misunderstood his post.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Look. If this rumor is true, it's got some clear logic in light of recent press about Google worrying that Samsung has too much market share.

How does Samsung have that share? Largely by selling lots and lots of bargain low end handsets in Asia.

A low end Chinese made "Nexus" might not appeal to Western markets and sensibilities, but I could see it as an effective strategy if Google is indeed trying to pry some of the market share and power away from Samsung.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38