Nexus 5 Time Capsule

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok, not really a time capsule, but close enough...

I was going through some old file and drawers and came across a lost treasure: a Nexus 5.

I remember now that I'd had some issues with mine from Google and, near the end of its warranty, had a replacement sent, with my thoughts being that, with my upgrading to the Nexus 6 at the time, I would simply sell the mint device. Must have slipped my mind because.... here it is.

IMG_20191205_162320.jpgIMG_20191205_162341~2.jpg

Yep, it actually still has the original factory-installed protective film over both the screen and the camera.

With very fond recollection of the phone, I decided to take a trip down memory lane and switch over to it for a few days from my current phone (Pixel 3 XL), and was very much looking forward to the temporary revisit to the land of pocketable phones.

Unfortunately, on connecting a few different chargers, none appear to charge the phone, so I'm thinking either I got a dud when Google replaced it (in which case, it's waaaaay to late to go to them now with any expectation) or the battery is simply wholly dead, but figured I'd ask here in case anyone has some "oh that's easy" solutions to proffer.

Worst case, it's a 'museum' condition piece to go with my collection of favorite phones-of-wireless-past.

Edit - Just took my Pixel off its Pixel Stand and remembered... The Pixel 5 had (basic) wireless charging! Don't know if there's any extra hope there, but in the event it's just a connection issue between the Micro-USB port and the battery, there might yet be hope... Will leave it on the Stand overnight and cross my fingers.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Alas, 18 hours on the Pixel Stand and still won't power on.

RIP, old friend, may your eternal silent mode be filled with tranquility.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I had given mine to my parents as a wi-fi only Skype phone. It just recently gave up the ghost, entering into some kind of bootloop that I suspect was due to a completely failed battery.:-\

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali