Headphone socket , Is it just me?

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I always liked it on the bottom & disliked how iPhone put it at the top...now iPhone 5 has it on the bottom & my N4 on top :mad:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I always liked it on the bottom & disliked how iPhone put it at the top...now iPhone 5 has it on the bottom & my N4 on top :mad:

This. This frustrated me to no end. The ease of use with a headphone jack on the bottom when your phone is in a pocket or a cupholder is exponentially greater than with one on the top. In fact, I expected it to be on the bottom so much that I didn't even bother checking when I ordered my Nexus 4.

I was unpleasantly surprised, and I'm reminded of it every time I try to use headphones or earbuds with it.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
After a year of a bottom headphone jack on the GNex I grew to love it. One of my only complaints about the device, really.

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree.

It also doesn't help how symmetrical the Nexus 4 is sometimes. I've held it upside down so many times because I'm used to having devices that (properly!) place the headphone jack at the bottom.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I can't figure out why the jack doesn't go all the way in. I get stereo sound, so I'm wondering if the port is designed to accommodate multiple types besides basic stereo and mono.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree.

It also doesn't help how symmetrical the Nexus 4 is sometimes. I've held it upside down so many times because I'm used to having devices that (properly!) place the headphone jack at the bottom.

I had the same problem for a while, but I've just recently gotten used to feeling it when out of sight based on the slightly raised outline around the camera lens, or the microUSB port.

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I never understood what the big deal was with this argument for whatever phone in question. I couldn't care less if its top or bottom.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I never understood what the big deal was with this argument for whatever phone in question. I couldn't care less if its top or bottom.

It's definitely a matter of personal preference, but some people find the location of the jack to make a difference in some situations.

When driving, I find it much easier to take my phone out of the cupholder and skip music tracks without looking at it if the jack is on the bottom.

masqueofhastur

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree. I don't get how handset makers can screw this up. Bottom, off to one side, preferably the same side as volume controls is the only place the jack should be.
It's good Samsung understands this, and Apple finally figured it out, but it's bafflig how nobody else clued in.

chestont

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely agree with this. So weird to me especially if I want to plug in a USB and an AUX cable in my car. The wires stick out of opposite ends of the phone so I can't simply pop the phone into my cupholder anymore.

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I like the headphones on the top. I like to keep the phone in my jacket inside breast pocket, and top works best for that.

My current car has blue tooth so it doesn't matter but, previously, I also preferred the jack on the top so I could run a cable from it into my car's aux port, and then drop the phone into my cupholder.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I can't figure out why the jack doesn't go all the way in. I get stereo sound, so I'm wondering if the port is designed to accommodate multiple types besides basic stereo and mono.

It does go all the way in, it is just that with the curvature of the phone it looks like it isn't in fully when you look at it from the back. Every phone that has the jack on a side with a curve like that will look similar.

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Wait what!!??

How is it better on the bottom. Please explain!

I place this phone in cup holders (driving) and the aux cord pops right into my headphone jack.. Which is on the top. When I glance at my screen, guess what... The bloody thing isn't upside down like my friends iPhone....

I HATE phones with bottom jacks. They just make no sense..

In my pocket.
Guess what? The phones the right side up.. As in my screens not upside down.

In my cupholder....
Phones READABLE!!

I can say this: wish the phones USB was on its side

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm another person who likes the headphone jack on top. If I'm listening to music while walking I keep my phone in my shirt pocket and like the jack on the top; it works better when my phone is sitting (right side up) in a cup-holder in a car that I'm not using bluetooth for sound with, and it works better when I'm sitting and/or lying down and using the phone with the cord pointing up to my face rather than down into my chest if I'm resting the phone there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty