Nexus 4 creaking...

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 4 since January and recently it's started creaking. The rear glass no longer seems flush, and I'm concerned it might lead to cracking. Is there a quick fix for this or should I look into an rma? Also is this a known issue with this phone?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Creaking? I've never heard of the N4's doing that, is there any way you could make and post a small video clip of it? I'd be interested to see this. But if you haven't dropped it and it shows zero signs of physical abuse, RMA it. Just did with mine for freezing, and text msg issues.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah basically the back glass isn't flush anymore and applying a small amount of pressure to the back will make a noise. Never dropped it, always kept it in a case.

EDIT: Tried a trick from xda and it worked! Loosen the 2 screws, push down on the back, tighten them back up, and no more creaking!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I would RMA it then. If you wait, the next thing you know the warranty expires and now your stuck with a defective phone. I called Google last night about issues with my N4, and had it rma . Today I received an email that Google had already sent my replacement. They are spot on. Gotta give em that!! 855-836-3987 when in doubt, call em up and ask them about the issue.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah just worried about cracking. I can live with it but I remember many people choosing to live with the screen lift issue on the nexus 7 and then since they weren't flush, the screens would crack

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Oh cripes! I hope this doesn't happen to mine. I went to eBay and found a good cheap bumper that fits like a glove. I know its rather ugly but I don't care because I'm hazardous with cell phones. Bumping them, dropping them etc. To protect it further from cracking because of that defect, just grab a bumper from eBay, and if it does crack, u won't have to stare at it all the time.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I got it fixed now. Apparently it's a fairly common problem, from the screws on the front getting loose. So you just gotta loosen the screws, apply pressure to the glass, and retighten and your done. Creaking is gone!

Wouldn't think that would void my warranty but if I did have to make an exchange, I probably wouldn't tell them about that lol.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok fix didn't last long, seems fine on the right side but left side still has the creak, think I'm going to warranty it

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Mine had it just below the camera - wasn't sure if it was me being paranoid or not when i put my ear close, but its gone now.
If you think about it all plastic has a nose when you push it

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah mine is fine now, weird. I guess I'll keep an eye out for it but for now I'll just keep my current phone

anon(5830442)

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi, what did you end up doing? Mine started doing it, nothing major but bothers me. I also noticed two tiny circles on the screen, just like those left by suction cups.... Other than that it works flawlessly, concern to RMA it and get a bad device, which has happened in the past ( all the devices my friends or relatives ordered had one thing or another) including mine which would constantly freeze. Google has been great though.

anon(5830442)

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I tried unscrewing the bolts and tighten them back and it made things worse. But then I retried, but this time before tightening the bolts i placed the device on a flat surface and applied pressure on the screen with a heavy hard cover book evenly. Worked flawlessly, no more creaking.