1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Default PC no longer find Nexus 4 as USB device since Carbon app downloaded

I loaded Carbon on to my phone and Windows 7 PC, to back up files before exchanging my old Nexus 4 for a replacement. Now, my new replacement (also Carbon-ized) is not recognized by the computer unless it is in PTP (camera) mode -- and then, only with USB debugging turned on. I can only see the N4 in my control panel; the Device Manager only lists a generic Android Device with Android ADB drivers. How do I restore everything to original working condition? I have tried turning USB debugging off and on, rebooting all devices and changing USB cables, etc -- nothing works. Suggestions, please. Thanks

Default Re: PC no longer find Nexus 4 as USB device since Carbon app downloaded

1.turn USB debugging off
    2.settings-->storage-->menu[3 dots]-->usb mass storage-->select MTP
    3. go to device manager, right click on device--> update drivers, do as if you are installing new drivers. select from pc
    instead of selecting android ADB device select the other and proceed.

dont know the exact 3rd step. but its the same like explained here on this step "b) Install USB Drivers in PC"
    How-To Unlock Bootloader/Factory Restore/Root any NEXUS device
    Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Default Re: PC no longer find Nexus 4 as USB device since Carbon app downloaded -- SOLVED

Thanks for your suggestion. I actually ended up UNINSTALLING the Android ADB Driver that was installed on my computer as part of the Carbon installation. Now I have full access to all media and storage on my Nexus 4 by my PC..

Here's what worked for me on Windows 8. I did as still1 said. You need to have your N4 plugged into your computer. Then to clarify step 3:
    Device Manager - right click device (Android ADB something or other) - Update Driver Software - Browse my computer for driver software - Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer - then choose "MTP USB Device" - Next.

Now it's back to how it used to be.
    Last edited by brmayes; 05-01-2013 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Extra detail
    Thanked by 2:
    Banned

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brmayes View Post
    Here's what worked for me on Windows 8. I did as still1 said. You need to have your N4 plugged into your computer. Then to clarify step 3:
    Device Manager - right click device (Android ADB something or other) - Update Driver Software - Browse my computer for driver software - Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer - then choose "MTP USB Device" - Next.

Now it's back to how it used to be.
    Thank god for this thread. Carbon (now called Helium) also wrecked my N4 ability to connect to windows 8. I did what you said and it worked.

Hi,
    I used to be able to see my Nexus 4 as a media device on both my Win7 machines. now I can only on one.
    What do I need to do on the machine that can't see it?
    thanks

Thumbs up Re: PC no longer find Nexus 4 as USB device since Carbon app downloaded

thanks done.

where did you get the drivers?

Thank you still1. Your solution worked!

Hats off to you boss.....I was searching for this solution and i got really mad at windows 8. Thank you very much for the solution