my Nexus 7 no longer can read USB stick via OTG cable

Susan0001

May 16, 2018
Visit site
I have a Nexus 7, 2013, running marshmallow, unrooted. When I was running kitkat, I was able to access both movie and music files on a USB stick (using a simple USB cable, not an OTG cable), and play them on VLC.

Now, even with an OTG cable, I cannot get my tablet to recognize any files on my usb stick at all. I have tried:
ES File Explorer
USB File Manager
USB OTG File Explorer
tried reading a different USB stick (both USB sticks can be accessed in
VLC on my PC w/o any problems)
my USB stick is configured FAT32
tried a different OTG cable (I don't have any other device I can try the
OTG cables on--no smart phone or anything else)
I get a message saying my Nexus "sees" the USB stick, but cannot see any files on it. It says there are 2 USB sticks plugged in (?!?!?!) but no files.

I really don't want to have to root it, because 1) according to Android, I shouldn't have to, and 2) I'm not that savvy.

I'm rather desperate now, because I'm going on a LONG plane trip soon, and was depending on the Nexus for some onboard entertainment.

Thanks for any help! Susan

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Apologies cuz I haven't used Marshmallow is awhile but it should go something like this: When you plug in the cable you should get a pop-up notification...swipe down on that and there should be several options...the one you want is MTP.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Now, even with an OTG cable, I cannot get my tablet to recognize any files on my usb stick at all.
Forgetting the files themselves for a moment, when you connect the USB key are you seeing the USB icon on the Notification bar (1st screenshot)? If you drag down from the Notification bar do you see the Explore/Eject options (2nd screenshot)? Perhaps you can try reformatting the USB key on the tablet (3rd screenshot; go to Settings -> Storage & USB - select the key, then select the hamburger menu in the upper right).
3060de61601031244f5c7c404a95b828.jpg
c7ef3d65fb7d4f01f9e3a1aa30e3b292.jpg
137bba4b34c76380475dec3031840f93.jpg

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm rather desperate now, because I'm going on a LONG plane trip soon, and was depending on the Nexus for some onboard entertainment.
FWIW your problem has nothing to do with Marshmallow: my Nexus 7 (2013) is running the final build (6.0.1, August 5, 2016 patch level, build MOB30X) with no issues. It's quite possible that your micro-USB port is starting to fail, which would account for the change in behavior.
All is not lost, though - there are lots of solutions that will let you transfer files over Wi-Fi if you can't transfer them directly using a cable or USB key. I even have a HDD that has its own Wi-Fi access point so I don't have to rely on an existing network.

Susan0001

May 16, 2018
Visit site
Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful replies. I tried yet again, and I'm not getting a notification screen at all, it looks as if the tablet isn't even recognizing the USB stick is there. I went into Storage-USB and didn't see anything at all like a key or a relevant hamburger menu, so I guess I'm pretty much dead in the water. (As an aside, I still don't have any trouble charging my tablet through the same micro port, thank goodness for small favors).

So, I would VERY much appreciate any detailed information anyone could give me as to how to get my files onto my tablet through wifi. (If it's relevant, my files are .mp4 and .mp3). If anyone reading this thinks I'm going off-topic, please bear with me; my main topic should simply read "Desperation".

Thanks again, to a great community. It's nice to find a forum where no-one goes off into personal rants, etc.

Susan

Susan0001

May 16, 2018
Visit site
Asking for info re loading files to Nexus 7 tablet via wifi

Further to my very recent reply to everyone who has been so nice as to provide answers and suggestions, I think the only way to go is to transfer files to my tablet via wifi. Since my Nexus 7 doesn't take an SD card, there are only so many media files it can hold at one time (it has 32GB, but......). When I take a long trip, I usually simply carry a couple of USB sticks with me, but that will obviously no long work. So, now I'm very interested in knowing more about any decent-but-not-overly-expensive external HDD drive with built-in wifi, which I could load up with movies, music and documents, and carry instead if the USB sticks.

Normally I'd do all my own research, but this is a brand-new area for me, and I'm leaving on my trip very shortly. I'd need an HDD drive with built-in wifi and 110/220 voltage. Any and all pointers in the right direction would help. (My assumption is that the HDD drive could send the media files to my tablet whenever the two devices are together, even if it's at the other side of the world.)

THANK YOU!!!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Take a look at https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AQRUW4Q?tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6246470
This is a newer version of the drive that I have but it should suit your needs. You'll probably have to have your own own adapter for foreign power standards.
Edit: If you want to make use of your existing HDD you could try a less expensive alternative like https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016ZWS9ZE?tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6246470
I haven't tried this one myself but RavPower makes some decent devices.

Last edited:

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So, I would VERY much appreciate any detailed information anyone could give me as to how to get my files onto my tablet through wifi.

You could save to Google Drive and then download to the tablet. Or apps like PushBullet allow you to send files between devices (the free version is limited to 25MB per file or the paid pro version will allow up to a GB).

Susan0001

May 16, 2018
Visit site
Thank you!! I've just ordered the RavPower wireless router and will continue to use my USB sticks as input. I'll look into both Google Drive and PushBullet. Many thanks for everyone's help; I couldn't have done it by myself in the timeframe I have (and maybe never).

Best wishes, Susan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia