Nexus 4 Red Pocket Mobile APN Settings? Slow speeds

lucky87ad

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i'm new to the forums here and i did several searches on the topic before posting

Got my nexus 4 last week as well as a Red Pocket Mobile sim card. Just been experiencing slow speeds and kind of hit a wall here and not sure what to change/do. I used the APN settings Red Pocket has on their site (Go Red Pocket! The Best Value in Contract-Free Wireless) but i'm still getting terrible speeds, and the same on WiFi. At home i'm in ok/decent ATT coverage but at work I'm in excellent coverage (even 4g according to their site) and have full bars all day at work . Today I ran a speedtest at work and got 159Kbps Down / 1669Kbps Up, Ping 64. At home while using red pocket I get 161Kbps Down / 815 Up Ping 87. Super slow downloads, upload is fine with me. But for example I think the Twitter app is 14Mb, I had to start the download before i went to bed and let it download while i was sleeping. I don't know if I can use other AT&T APN Settings or not. If there is anybody that could help or anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Alex

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i'm new to the forums here and i did several searches on the topic before posting

Got my nexus 4 last week as well as a Red Pocket Mobile sim card. Just been experiencing slow speeds and kind of hit a wall here and not sure what to change/do. I used the APN settings Red Pocket has on their site (Go Red Pocket! The Best Value in Contract-Free Wireless) but i'm still getting terrible speeds, and the same on WiFi. At home i'm in ok/decent ATT coverage but at work I'm in excellent coverage (even 4g according to their site) and have full bars all day at work . Today I ran a speedtest at work and got 159Kbps Down / 1669Kbps Up, Ping 64. At home while using red pocket I get 161Kbps Down / 815 Up Ping 87. Super slow downloads, upload is fine with me. But for example I think the Twitter app is 14Mb, I had to start the download before i went to bed and let it download while i was sleeping. I don't know if I can use other AT&T APN Settings or not. If there is anybody that could help or anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Alex

I use Net10 on AT&T network which, like Red Pocket, in another AT&T MVNO. I've similar experience as you when I just mess up one field. You obviously have your APN settings messed up.

I think you are looking at the wrong site for your APN settins. The site I searched for Red Pocket APN settings is here:
Untitled Document

Make sure you put everything in the correct field. It is easy to miss a digit or to accidentally mix up "proxy" and "port" field. Save it once entered. Delete your old APN settings and reboot. (To save and delete look for the 3 little bullet dots on the bottom right hand corner int he APN settings).

There is also a Red Pocket Configurator App in Google Play. I don't know if it works, but it claims to set your correct data settings for you. I've never had a problem doing it the way I described above, but I'm not sure why my link didn't post on the thread (or did but not showing to me). Anway, you can do a google search for "Red Pocket Mobile Data Settings" and the first result should take you to take the Red Pocket APN settings they recommend.

lucky87ad

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately i'm still at a loss. Had my settings correct in my phone, downloaded Red Pocket's configure app anyway. Ran the app and it had one or two things different which I changed my settings to accordingly and now my SpeedTest results have consistently been around 9Kbps Down / 1637Kbps Up. Wtf? I've been googling my nuts off, have like 8 tabs open on my browser right now, have searched all of YouTube for anything. I really don't know at this point...

EDIT: Just thought I should make note as of right now while doing those speedtests i was on 3 BLUE Bars, with a blue 'H' by the bars.

Last edited:

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
EDIT: Just thought I should make note as of right now while doing those speedtests i was on 3 BLUE Bars, with a blue 'H' by the bars.

That sounds encouraging. Hopefully it worked out. Don't get discouraged if it didn't. You'll get the correct settings. Worst case scenario is you just switch to another prepaid carrier next month. On Monday you might be able to get through to somebody at Red Pocket.

On occassion I've seen somebody post regarding Red Pocket in the "US Carrier" threads either under the other carrier section or AT&T section. http://forums.androidcentral.com/us-carriers/ but I just did a quick scan and there was nothing recent. You'd have to scroll or search the older posts.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Which plan do you have? Only the largest plan gives you a fair amount of data. With any of the other plans, you may already be over the allotment and be getting throttled.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I queried through the website and the terms of service. I could find nothing on the type of data they offer. 2g, 3g, hspa+? Maybe i missed it. I would try to get that info from them and confirm what they offer and more specifically in your area.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this helps at all, but I just bought the Nexus 4 from the Google Play store. It arrived a couple of days ago. I had it activated at AT&T. I have full bars and an H on the signal indicator. I ran a speed test with the speedtest.net app. It read that I was getting about 200 kbps down. I thought that was insane. I went back to the AT&T store and had them look at it. The sales rep told me that there was nothing wrong. He had me go into the internet and it was fast. I played a YouTube video in high quality and it ran all the way through without buffering once. I played a Netflix video and it okayed in high definition without stuttering. I say this to say, I don't think that app is reading my speeds correctly. My data has been really fast. Buy it doesn't reflect that through the app. Just for good measure, I tried another speed test app and got the same results.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

lucky87ad

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Sounds good but I how would you explain the slow speeds downloading from the google play store? If I was just in bad area coverage I could understand, but I have yet to get a download speed over 200Kbps through the speedtest app but could basically be verified by watching the download bar while downloading an app through the play store. On one occasion I got a test server in Cincinnati, OH (where i live) and still couldn't get over 200Kbps. I'm going to call their customer service tomorrow but from what i've read on howard forums people say its a lost cause and I guess AT&T is kind of putting their boot on the necks of the MVNO's. Probably just going to finish this month out with Red Pocket and then go to AT&T pre paid $65 for 1GB. I dont stream movies and stuff like that so not too concerned there, just want the speed when I do need it you know?

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Sounds good but I how would you explain the slow speeds downloading from the google play store? If I was just in bad area coverage I could understand, but I have yet to get a download speed over 200Kbps through the speedtest app but could basically be verified by watching the download bar while downloading an app through the play store. On one occasion I got a test server in Cincinnati, OH (where i live) and still couldn't get over 200Kbps. I'm going to call their customer service tomorrow but from what i've read on howard forums people say its a lost cause and I guess AT&T is kind of putting their boot on the necks of the MVNO's. Probably just going to finish this month out with Red Pocket and then go to AT&T pre paid $65 for 1GB. I dont stream movies and stuff like that so not too concerned there, just want the speed when I do need it you know?

I use Net10 and have no complaints with my service or data speeds. Not the fastest, but fast enough to stream you tube 95 percent of the time. You do only get 1.5 GB hard cap of data, but that is enough for me. Net10 is an AT&T mvno and use AT&T's network. You can still buy AT&T Straight Talk micro sims on eBay at a marked up price to get access to AT&T towers. I'm assuming you are in an area not serviced by Tmobile, because Tmobile and its mvno's is the obivious choice. But you are right. You can't go wrong with the $65 AT&T Go Phone, but it is just kind of pricey for 1GB of data. Within the year hopefully AIO Wireless will roll out nationwide which will be another option to get onto AT&T towers.

I did once try and get throug to Customer Service with Net10, but I was on hold forever and just gave up. Luckily I remembered on my own that I had to reset my APN settings when factory resetted my phone. The downside of the cheap MVNO's is they don't have much customer support, though I've heard good things about Tmobile's mvno Solavei's customer service.

lucky87ad

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah T-Mobile in my area is basically non existent. 2G service only for a good 30 minutes anyway you go. I was looking into Net10 but I'm scared of buying the sim card, paying for a month of service and then trying to set up the APN only to get the same results that I have now. So its between that or just go straight to the source (go phone) and use that and patiently wait until AT&T rolls out the $65 2GB plan they're testing out in some areas.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Yeah T-Mobile in my area is basically non existent. 2G service only for a good 30 minutes anyway you go. I was looking into Net10 but I'm scared of buying the sim card, paying for a month of service and then trying to set up the APN only to get the same results that I have now. So its between that or just go straight to the source (go phone) and use that and patiently wait until AT&T rolls out the $65 2GB plan they're testing out in some areas.

Yeah, I hear you. You've been burned once and you'd be wary of getting burned again. It sort of takes all the pleasure out of buying a contract free phone if you have to drop $100 to just find a service that works for you. The thing that sort of sucks with Net10 is that they require, for at least your first month and activation, that you purchase the $50 plan, and you still have to pony up $10 for the sim activation kit as well. I was nervous too since I had very little information about them, but it worked out in my case. I just had no Tmobile coverage in my condo, and I didn't know about Go Phone, so I was willing to try. I have seen people post in these threads that they've had trouble with data and APN settings on Net10, especially when they roam, but I've been lucky.

lucky87ad

May 29, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE: Got with Red Pocket customer service today. After talking for a couple minutes they reset my data and told me to power the phone off and back on. Did exactly that, ran a speed test and now getting 1.5Mbps / 1.1Mbps. Atleast my speed can be measured in Mbps now and not Kbps lol. We'll see how long this lasts though.

***EDIT*** An hour after posting this, I just went to the grocery store about 15 mins from my house and ran a speed test and got 5.8Mbps Down & 1.2Mbps Up. So Red Pocket data reset seems to have done the trick. Hopefully I don't get randomly throttled again. Not sure if I was throttled right off the bat with new account & new sim or what. So anyone with Red Pocket I would suggest contacting CS ( i did online chat ) and have them reset.

Thanks for everyones input and willingness to help and being friendly to a forum newb!

Last edited:

mindhead1

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Just activated a Red Pocket SIM in my N4 yesterday. I had been using the T-Mobile $30 5GB data 100 minutes of calling. I end up spending about $60 month because I blow through the 100 minutes. VOIP options have not worked well for me on N4 via wifi or cellular.

Anyway back to Red Pocket. I had some issue with the fact that it took 7 days for the SIM to arrive. They should be getting these to people as fast as possible. Had to call to help get things activated. Their web system does not seem very reliable. Voice quality and signal strength have been great getting 3-4 bars all over Washington, Dc metro area. T-Mo was good in spots, but it was hit and miss. Dropped calls and choppy service gets old fast. Data speeds over T-Mo HSPA+ were comparable to the LTE speeds I would see on Verizon with my Razr Maxx. However, once out of major urban areas data service was almost non existent on T-Mo.

Unfortunately data is even worse on Red Pocket. IT is excruciatingly slow. Can't even get speedtest.net app to work. There were even times throughout the day when data would not connect at all. I checked APN settings and all is good. Data is just not reliable. ATT must be throttling. I called Red Pocket customer service. They said they reset something and data seems to be moving a little faster. I actually got a YouTube video to play with no issues. I don't need blazing fast speeds just enough so that Flipboard, AccuWeather, Google+ load in a reasonable amount of time and I can stream songs from Slacker with buffer issues.

If the data speed in Red Pocket stays this weak and unreliable, I'll be giving AIO a shot.