phone receiving updates when unlocking

Emma Challis

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

When using whatsapp and sometimes other apps. It seems that whenever I unlock my phone its only then when I receive any messages from whatsapp etc. Almost as if when the phone is in standby, the internet is switched off. Then when I take the phone out of standby, the internet reconnects.

Is there a setting I'm missing?

Posted via Android Central App

wx27

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I'll guess that you are connected to WiFi and experiencing a known issue that the WiFi connection will drop after a while when the phone is asleep/locked.
In the WiFi settings, under Advanced, there's an option to "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" and "Wi-Fi optimization. Minimize battery usage when Wi-Fi is on".
You might get fewer notification delays if the first option is set to Always and the second option is unchecked, but from my experience, there will still be WiFi drops from time to time when the phone is asleep. I had incoming G-mail notifications delayed anywhere between 5-15 minutes when on WiFi.

Maybe this will be fixed in 4.3. In a developers forum, someone came up with some changes for rooted phones to fix this issue.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Its a known issue with wifi that happens to quite a lot of people but not enough for it to become a huge issue for Google. Nexus seems to drop connection while connected to certain routers. You might notice the signal bars turn grey and then blue when you unlock your screen. Google know of this issue and hopefully they will fix it soon. If you haven't already checked, make sure the wifi is kept on during sleep in the settings also push notification fixer on the play store may help. You could try another router or set a static arp. You could also change a few system files if you are rooted.

Emma Challis

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for your reply!

I did have Battery Guru (snapdragon I think) installed a while back, but uninstalled it as didn't feel it made sufficient difference. Perhaps I need to format my phone to remove any data/settings that may be left by the app?

I didn't know about the wifi bug so thanks for that :D I've toyed with the settings and installed push notification fixer so fingers crossed!

Thanks all :D.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for your reply!

I did have Battery Guru (snapdragon I think) installed a while back, but uninstalled it as didn't feel it made sufficient difference. Perhaps I need to format my phone to remove any data/settings that may be left by the app?

I didn't know about the wifi bug so thanks for that :D I've toyed with the settings and installed push notification fixer so fingers crossed!

Thanks all :D.

i dont think what wx27 mentioned is a bug but a feature.
but what Rizy7 said is a bug. i think it can be fixed by making the router settings to wap2

My N4 wouldn't connect to my friends router since it was wap and then i made his change it to wap2 and then it started working without issue.

ah06

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issues as OP but I did some testing and found much deeper issues. For me, the Keep WiFi on setting seems to make no difference when it is changed. i.e If I ask it to "never" maintain connection when asleep, it will still notify me (with the delay), if I set it to on charge only; still the same. On Always, still the same.

Can someone test this? (I used another device to send a whatsapp message to the test device).

ah06

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Also this applies to Data as well for me. That can't be affected by the WiFi bug can it? Or is it so that if your WiFi is on, it uses that as "primary connection" and the data pipe does not get a chance to intervene?

wx27

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Also this applies to Data as well for me. That can't be affected by the WiFi bug can it? Or is it so that if your WiFi is on, it uses that as "primary connection" and the data pipe does not get a chance to intervene?

If WiFi is on, it will use that for data exclusively and ignore your mobile data connection path. My old router had issues keeping the connection alive when my phone was on WiFi and the screen was off. Didn't matter if I had to set to Always on and not to minimize battery use when WiFi was on.
Two known fixes for this type of behavior.
A) Get a new router that doesn't have this problem, or hope a router firmware update addresses the issue.
B) Download the push notification fixer mentioned above. This "solves" the problem by basically making sure your phone doesn't go into deep sleep mode and thus preserves your active WiFi connection. The tradeoff is a bit lower battery life since the phone doesn't get to go into deep sleep.
Things like assigning a static IP to your N4 may or may not work.

ah06

May 2, 2013
Visit site
If WiFi is on, it will use that for data exclusively and ignore your mobile data connection path. My old router had issues keeping the connection alive when my phone was on WiFi and the screen was off. Didn't matter if I had to set to Always on and not to minimize battery use when WiFi was on.
Two known fixes for this type of behavior.
A) Get a new router that doesn't have this problem, or hope a router firmware update addresses the issue.
B) Download the push notification fixer mentioned above. This "solves" the problem by basically making sure your phone doesn't go into deep sleep mode and thus preserves your active WiFi connection. The tradeoff is a bit lower battery life since the phone doesn't get to go into deep sleep.
Things like assigning a static IP to your N4 may or may not work.

Push notification fixer mentioned above? Where?
I did try the Wakelock app, that din't work. Can you link me to the push notification fixer.
There is a bug report on the ARP thing on code.google.com and that appears to have had a fix before 4.2.2 was pushed out. So......what happened there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress