android 4.3 bugs with nexus 4

dan smartt

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
noticing my nexus 4 shutting off, it seems to happen when I charge it for a few hours, either wirelessly or wired.

Also brightness has some issues + play music when I put it on all songs random play it shows empty buffer & sometimes quits after playing a few songs.

Anyone else having same or other bugs?

Posted via Android Central App

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
The only bug I am having are on a couple apps. One is crashing, the other is still working but not displaying all the info. Everything else on the N4 seem fine.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running Android 4.3 using Tapatalk 4

seekerboy1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
my wife's phone is also having problems with phone shutting off on its own repeatedly ever since the 4.3 jelly bean update. We both have phones on T Mobile Nexus 4's she received update 2 days ago I have still not received update. I'm starting to wonder if I even want it.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 6, 2013
Visit site
The only problem I've noticed is that the CNN app won't play videos & won't post to twitter. CNN has posted in The Play Store that they are aware of the video problem after the 4.3 update and are working on it. They did not say anything about the Twitter issue ...

uumeshh

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
My only gripe is with the dialer force closing when is scroll through my call list. Otherwise its running great and giving me improved battery life

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
My phone seams to explode literally after the update when I call my girlfriend along with one minute battery life?

I am kidding, havent noticed any bugs yet from 4.3 just had to post this due to a few random posts saying their x sucks when it looks normal.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Phone shuts off randomly after the 4.3 update. Doesn't shutoff if it's connected to the charger or to my bluetooth. Perhaps the phone is going too deep in sleep mode once the screen turns off?

Last edited:

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had the phone shut down while on a Skype video call today. First time that's ever happened and I just updated yesterday. Hope it's not a recurring issue and if so hopefully google or said apps can push out updates. Skype right now sucks after their recent overhaul.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

djkleric

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My fiance's nexus got the update a few days ago. She is having it go into sleep and she is unable to wake the device. Only way to get it to turn back on is to hold the power+volume down to rest the device. She is very frustrated since it happens at least 2 times every hour. Is anyone else having this issue?

prescose90

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm on tmobile and I have no data connection since updating to 4.3, what a disaster. Also having terrible battery life. Going to call Tmo about the data issue tomorrow. Ugh. Fml

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The only bug I am having are on a couple apps. One is crashing, the other is still working but not displaying all the info. Everything else on the N4 seem fine.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running Android 4.3 using Tapatalk 4
If its not native apps it would be most likely as their not updated / optimised for 4.3 yet as their have been a few tweeks which have caused apps to crash mainly for the root required apps.
The only problem I've noticed is that the CNN app won't play videos & won't post to twitter. CNN has posted in The Play Store that they are aware of the video problem after the 4.3 update and are working on it. They did not say anything about the Twitter issue ...
Same answer, I am sure they will update their app soon.

I had the phone shut down while on a Skype video call today. First time that's ever happened and I just updated yesterday. Hope it's not a recurring issue and if so hopefully google or said apps can push out updates. Skype right now sucks after their recent overhaul.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
Could be a one off or maybe its not yet full optimised for 4.3 yet :)
I'm on tmobile and I have no data connection since updating to 4.3, what a disaster. Also having terrible battery life. Going to call Tmo about the data issue tomorrow. Ugh. Fml
Try a factory reset maybe for the battery life as most people are getting great battery life.
No data? Try an app from the play store which adjusts the apk's.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
noticing my nexus 4 shutting off, it seems to happen when I charge it for a few hours, either wirelessly or wired.

play music when I put it on all songs random play it shows empty buffer & sometimes quits after playing a few songs.

1st might be overheating / shutting off is how it protects itself.
2nd, it might be streaming it down from the web thus sometimes requires some time to load. Not sure about quitting if its the native app.

dan smartt

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes I think there is an issue with n4 unable to wake from deep sleep in android 4.3, I am seeing this issue pop up more frequently in message boards - let's hope it is soon fixed in 4.31

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I just read that the Neflix app causes the phone to APPEAR it shut down. I have to push the power button and down volume button to reboot. Netflix is aware of this issue for phones with the 4.3 update. So... the 4.3 update isn't my problem... the Neflix app is. My phone only gets the "black screen of death" when I use the Netflix app.

Dorknight

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting the issue with the phone shutting off. More accurately, the power button doesn't respond/display stops working. So I have to hold down the power button for a while to reset the phone. Is this more accurate to what people are experiencing??

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting the issue with the phone shutting off. More accurately, the power button doesn't respond/display stops working. So I have to hold down the power button for a while to reset the phone. Is this more accurate to what people are experiencing??

Have you done a reset of the phone yet, which is recommended if you upgrade the OS and have problems?

Dorknight

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Have you done a reset of the phone yet, which is recommended if you upgrade the OS and have problems?

Nope I don't want to. Don't feel like going through setting up everything right now. I am using MyBackup Pro and have all of Google's backup settings on, so it probably won't be as bad as I think if I do decide to do it.

Although, this might help a lot of people out with this issue. I just read on another thread that people are confirming that the Netflix app is causing people's phones to have this "phone shutting off/display stops working issue". People are calling it the Black Screen of Death :D See here on XDA: Black screen of death: Android 4.3 + Netflix

I'm going to uninstall Netflix and see if the problem discontinues. If it doesn't, then I'll do a hard reset and such.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
FYI,

Some posts were removed to clean things up. In the future if we have an issue with anything please report the post and don't add to the situation by responding, it just makes things worse.

Thanks,

Paul
Forums Moderator.

Elijah146

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
That is exactly what is happening to my nexus 4 ever since the update. I have to hold the power button until it shuts down completely and then turn the phone back on. It is extremely frustrating. It almost makes the phone useless. I have not noticed any of the problems people are reporting about apps not working or gps but the phone will not wake up once it goes to sleep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa