ShaneBunting

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
So as a recently migrated iPhone user.. I'd like to know the big deal about NFC.

What's so good about it that it beats sending over Wifi?

Plus, how does it work?

I've got no clue on it, but if the N4 has it, I feel I should try it :p

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There are several advantages... and some disadvantages.

Cons:

Pros:
  • If you want, you can set up a card in Google Wallet and pay at certain POS (Point of Sale) terminals by tapping your phone
  • NFC is more secure than RFID (Radio Frequency IDentification) technology and more active - it transmits and receives
  • It can control a simplified and automatic enable of more complex communication protocols - such as the phone to phone tap auto-pairing BlueTooth to accomplish the file transfer
  • NFC Tags can be programmed for various functions to streamline enacting regular, complex behaviors. Set up a Tag once and perform the same task over and over. I.E.:
    • Tap the Tag inside your doorway at home to turn on WiFi and connect to the home network when you enter - tap again when leaving to turn WiFi off and reconnect to mobile data.
    • Tap the Tag on your laptop and turn on Android Hotspot.
    • Tap the tag in your car to turn on BlueTooth, open your music player and begin streaming to your in-car radio. Set your phone in the car mount and the Tag there opens up your navigation App...

The main advantages lie outside file sharing and open up the flexibility of the system. File sharing is the public perception of NFC functionality, but that is just scratching the surface.

Near field communication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for asking the question. It reminds me I need to get off my @55 and actually DO something with my NFC. :D

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
It's a real timesaver for location based automation tasks.

Do you mean such as these?

Tap the Tag inside your doorway at home to turn on WiFi and connect to the home network when you enter - tap again when leaving to turn WiFi off and reconnect to mobile data.
Tap the Tag on your laptop and turn on Android Hotspot.
Tap the tag in your car to turn on BlueTooth, open your music player and begin streaming to your in-car radio. Set your phone in the car mount and the Tag there opens up your navigation

If so, that doesn't sound like much of a timesaver versus hitting a button or two -- or even doing nothing, as in the case the first example because my N4 already automatically connects to my home WLAN when I arrive. And even then, the average person has to be willing and able to configure those processes, not to mention aware that NFC even exists and what it can do. Most people can't even program their home's thermostat. I've never programmed mine because it's easier to remember to adjust it when I go to bed or get up. If my life gets so complicated that I don't have the time to do or remember to do such simple things, then it's time to simplify my life rather than buying more stuff to deal with. To each his or her own.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, specifically the last example. My in-car/leave-car tag also enables/disables my phone's lockscreen. Obviously the more things you need to happen, the more time a tag will save. If you only have it doing one thing, it will not save you much time.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
NFC: not for consumers. For most people, it's a solution to non-problems.

I disagree. It's a real timesaver for location based automation tasks.

...that doesn't sound like much of a timesaver versus hitting a button or two -- or even doing nothing, as in the case the first example because my N4 already automatically connects to my home WLAN when I arrive. And even then, the average person has to be willing and able to configure those processes, not to mention aware that NFC even exists and what it can do. Most people can't even program their home's thermostat. I've never programmed mine because it's easier to remember to adjust it when I go to bed or get up. If my life gets so complicated that I don't have the time to do or remember to do such simple things, then it's time to simplify my life rather than buying more stuff to deal with. To each his or her own.

I'm not sure how many leave their WiFi turned on all the time, as you would have to for your phone to autoconnect when you get home. I for one rarely use the WiFi on my phone as I pay for unlimited data. But there are those who use WiFi a lot to save on data charges. Some of those save battery as well to get through a busy day. Keeping the WiFi from searching saves battery at the cost of constantly turning WiFi off/on as situations warrant. Those users are repeating a task many times over each week and can benefit from automating it when able. I used it as a popular example for the OP's sake, not as a task I'll be implementing.

Also note the first Tag I wrote was for the GF. She uses her Hotspot to power her laptop quite often. I don't... Was it wrong of me to make her life a bit simpler? She was pretty appreciative of the result.

Yeah, specifically the last example. My in-car/leave-car tag also enables/disables my phone's lockscreen. Obviously the more things you need to happen, the more time a tag will save. If you only have it doing one thing, it will not save you much time.

LOL controversy. :p

I paid for NFC so I'm going to use it. :D It's not so much about saving time as exploring the device capabilities.

It's fun, interesting and cool. :cool: It doesn't hurt anyone. O:)

Most people don' know what NFC is capable of so CoMoNexus has a point, but it's a point that goes toward exploring the options - not ignoring them!!!

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure how many leave their WiFi turned on all the time.

Sprint Connections Optimizer is an example of how more and more carriers are configuring their phones so they're always looking for a Wi-Fi signal. I don't know how many people disable such features, or who leave Wi-Fi turned on by choices, but it must be quite a few, judging by polls such as [Poll] WiFi Status – Do You Leave It Always On? | Android and Me and the amount of retailers (e.g., Sam's Club) that keep adding hotspots.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Next project... Proselytizing for a union in the workplace. A social experiment with real life implications.

I've prepared a Tag with the URL of an appropriate union. I'll find a surreptitious location for the tag in a non work area and see if we can get some buzz going. I may have to plant more than one... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non