[Solved] Nexus 4 won't turn on or charge

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Solved - Nexus 4 Won't Turn On or Charge

I water damaged my Nexus 4 yesterday.

Water damage is difficult to recover from. As far as I can tell, the trick with holding down the buttons and inserting the USB power cable is really for cases where your Nexus 4 doesn't wake up after running out of power. You'll probably have to replace the battery or send your phone to LG for repairs.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

I tried it multiple times (pressing power key + volume down key and plugging phone to power socket), still my phone is showing blank screen. Can somebody help me?:(

How long are you holding down the buttons? Some people get their phone to work after 15 seconds, but I've also heard of people who need to hold the buttons down for 60 seconds before inserting the USB power cable.

ShailajaT

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

I am having the exact same issue.

Water damage+ "restart bootloader" screen

Have you found a solution yet? Or is sending phone for repairs the only option left?

pavanrh

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

Thanks..yaar...had faced this prob after four months i bought my nexus 4..now its working fine :)

edmaoz

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

Hey guys.
I dropped my nexus 4 in the pool last month and after 3 days in a rice jar I got it working again, only with the screen slightly defective. (dark and the colors were a little distorted).
Last night I upgraded to Kitkat 4.4 and after the installation the phone attempted to restart but wont turn on. I only get a dark grey screen. I tried the trick with the power and volume down buttons, held them for 15 seconds, plugged the phone, go the blinking red light but thats it. Nothing happened later, I still have just a dark grey screen.

Any suggestions?

hectormurray

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

I hold volume down + power for 15 seconds, plug in cable (tried all different cables) and red light comes up and flashes every few seconds but nothing happens no matter how long I still hold the buttons down. Any ideas?

Jyothsna81

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

I had the same thing happening. Red light kept flashing and nothing happened.
Once you see red light flashing, wait for few seconds, let go of the volume buttons and press the power button, as if you are switching on the phone.
The charging symbol should show up. Don't take the charger out. You should keep the phone plugged in. Let it charge for about ten minutes and then switch the phone on while it's charging.
Hope this helps you...
Thank you for this post..I now feel like a genius:cool: solved the problem all by myself :)

justmady

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

I have tried everything you said to do for my Nexus 4 and it still won't turn on, please somebody help me!!! I let the phone charge for 24 hours, tried different chargers,tried different outlets but to no avail my phone still won't turn on just black screen. The phone battery drained all the way yesterday and when I got home to charge it it wouldn't charge anymore or turn on. Went to T-Mobile and told them about it they said they will ship a new phone on Friday but I will lose all my pictures and videos if I didn't back them up and of course I didn't back up so I'm really upset about that. Does anybody else have any advice I can use thank you.

Bart Wells

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

I have tried everything you said to do for my Nexus 4 and it still won't turn on, please somebody help me!!! I let the phone charge for 24 hours, tried different chargers,tried different outlets but to no avail my phone still won't turn on just black screen. The phone battery drained all the way yesterday and when I got home to charge it it wouldn't charge anymore or turn on. Went to T-Mobile and told them about it they said they will ship a new phone on Friday but I will lose all my pictures and videos if I didn't back them up and of course I didn't back up so I'm really upset about that. Does anybody else have any advice I can use thank you.

I was convinced it wouldn't work for me either. Had run the battery out completely, got the blinking red light, then nothing at all. We had plugged it into the car USB port. After reading in forums, we made sure to get a proper charger with 5v/1.2 a and left plugged in over night. Kept taking charger out, holding down volume down and power keys for a LONG time (1 min. Sometimes) in various orders and combinations. Nothing. Kept trying. About 24 hours of charging uninterrupted we tried various combos again...FINALLY got the solid red light. Let it charge another half hour and then tried unplugging and replugging and holding down the volume down and power. FINALLY got the bootlog or whayever menu and selected POWER OFF with volume keys and hit the power button. FINALLY the white charging icon. Left it to charge for an hour. Now, I'm charging and typing this. I thought for sure the phone was bricked, but I just keep charging uninterrupted for 24 hours and hitting buttons and disconnecting the power cord and finally the glitch lifted and my phone is back. Make sure you have a proper 5v/1.2a charger plugged directly into the wall and don't give up. I had solid red, flashing red, and no led. But here I am typing on my nexus 4 right now. Good luck!!!

Surovjeniya

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Scott7217,Did everything as you wrote. Green robot appeared on the screen, I pressed start, but once the phone is turned off and turned red The LEDs. Battery icon appears for a few seconds and the phone reboots, and so always

Kelly Espinoza

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site

My phone died then when I tried to charge it, it wouldn't turn on I was like oh no then I took of the case off and pushed the power button and the lowering button on the volume for 16 sec then i plugged in the charger and waited until I seen something pop out on my phone. and a LED red light appeared and didn't blink it just stayed red then my phone turn back on and then showed me the picture of the battery charging.

waiheke78

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for this you are life saver. I was stumped before i saw this post. I replaced a broken screen but the phone wouldn't power back up after. I realized the battery must have been flat but after an hour or so of charging and it still wouldn't turn on I was wondering what was wrong.The red led flashed and the battery charge was showing, gave me confidence I had put the phone back together correctly. So I Googled, saw this post and bingo!

Snufka86

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

The same thing happened to me on my 3 days old nexus 5 . Worked great as well.
Do you know why it happened?

tidygrant

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site

I have had the red light solid and flashing/random switch offs/randomly not powering back on while being on stock 4.3, paranoid android lots of versions inc rc2 and stock 4.4. Its making me crazy. I can confirm solid red is not bricked neither flashing.
I have found plugging in to mains power and leaving it has mixed effects. Sometimes powers on and often not with combinations of red lights.

CALL ME CRAZY but I have very good results in banging the back of the phone just above the lg logo with my palm. Sometimes it's hurts that's how hard but often the red light dissapears and charge icon comes on.

When the phone actually turns off abruptly I am mostly opening an app like messaging or anything really can even be during boot up. Phone will say gully charged then 60ish percent then all over the place. I have changed the battery. Worked for a week then same again. Have changed to various ROMs with no effect.
Dont trust car chargers.
I would say there are lots of temporary fixes but there is a major fault with these lg phones. Does anyone else have same problems

Fanny Prevost

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site

Thank you so much for this simple procedure! I bought my Nexus 4 two months ago and what anxious that it was already broken. It was working yesterday evening and this morning it was completely dead and didn't want to turn on!