Possible Quick-Fix for Location Wakelock

PcNy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I have came across a possible quick-fix for people who are experiencing location wakelock. If you have tried removing suspicious apps or resetting your phone and none of them work. Try this:
Google Settings > Location > Location Reporting (Off).

You don't need to turn everything about location off (otherwise why smartphone?). I have all other location settings enabled except this location reporting. The wakelock seems to subside immediately. After observation for a several days, the wakelock does not return yet. Hopefully Google will fix this inherent problem in Kitkat version.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks--this is a known method of reducing wakelocks and improving battery life. Location Reporting is used primarily to report your location so that others can see where you are (which is what the old Latitudes did, and now Google+). Since I have absolutely no interest in telling other people exactly where I am at all times, I gladly turn off Location Reporting. What I haven't been able to figure out for sure is if that impedes Google Now's function. The official explanation on Google's support page is clear as mud: https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3118687?hl=en

I've found that with Location Reporting off, Google Maps can still find where I am, and Google Now will still give me the correct weather and nearby events. But I don't use Google Now that much, so I haven't been able to tell if there's more stuff it should be telling me, but isn't because of no Location Reporting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non