How to make my phone a real 'smart' phone

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
It already is. If you don't believe me, just compare it to some of the other "smartphones" on the market. There are only half a dozen or so that are comparable or exceed it. It exceeds all the others. Now if you are looking to get all the extra out of your phone, I would suggest rooting it and either installing a custom rom or doing some modding and theming to it. Once rooted, I would look at getting a good file manager. I use ES File Explorer. I would also consider a good app and backup manager. I find Titanium Backup to be the best with this. If you want to greatly enhance the system sound, Viper4Android works awesome on the Nexus. Just be aware that rooting does void the warranty while in that state. You can always return to stock if needed for warranty purposes. Rooting is also not for the complete novice. I would read up and have a little technical know how before taking that path. If you are simply looking for some bells and whistles, others will come along with some good app suggestions. You could also look at the sticky up above.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
For starter you can use an app like utter! to do voice control.

I use Tasker with AutoVoice to do automated tasks, but they have a steep learning curve and may not be for everyone.

You could consider getting MotoX which have some features the Nexus doesn't.

sent via tapatalk

Manoj Bhaskaran

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Hope my question was framed right..i meant no insult to the n4. just adore it. wanted to make it just a tad smarter ;)
need a starter's guide on rooting and installing a custom rom like cm. for someone with minimum technical know-how.

Posted via Android Central App

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Hope my question was framed right..i meant no insult to the n4. just adore it. wanted to make it just a tad smarter ;)
need a starter's guide on rooting and installing a custom rom like cm. for someone with minimum technical know-how.

Posted via Android Central App

Read the guide "Factory Image Restore" here, perform it successfully first, then read the "Unlock & Root": Nexus 4 Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

There are plenty of guides on youtube as well. You should try some of the apps suggested first. You don't need to root and install custom roms to make use of 'smart' features on Android.

Last edited:

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Llama and locale to start, tasker for the advanced user. If you root, look into the xposed framework and gravity box. Gravity box lets you do some pretty amazing tweaks without worrying about a custom rom.