News I'm never wearing a smartwatch to sleep again

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
This reads more like a hidden product endorse than an actual review. You keep mentioning that ring by name.

The entire article you repeat yourself and never give an actual reason why the ring is better. You say it's not comfort and a bunch of other things it's not.

IMO you came across as having had too much caffeine, really like your ring which is happy you enjoy your new tech but didn't give any convincing or logical reason why wearing the ring makes more sense and to justify such an absolute article title.

DigitalKnight

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I agree 💯. I have a GW5 (Galaxy Watch 5) and it is not fun to wear to bed at all. I just bought the GF3 (Galaxy Fit 3) for my wife and I wore it to bed just one night and it was so comfortable for the entire night of sleep. In fact it was so comfortable that I decided to get one for myself and will use it for the night and my GW5 for the day. Only downside is the Samsung app makes you switch between the two devices. Can't wait for the Samsung Galaxy Ring (GR1?) and I hope they make changes to the Samsung Wear App that it picks up both the SGR and the GW5 or the GF3 at the same time and that the Samsung Health App combines that data correctly so you get very accurate health information.

Reactions: Michael L Hicks
Dec 23, 2019
Visit site
This reads more like a hidden product endorse than an actual review. You keep mentioning that ring by name.

The entire article you repeat yourself and never give an actual reason why the ring is better. You say it's not comfort and a bunch of other things it's not.

IMO you came across as having had too much caffeine, really like your ring which is happy you enjoy your new tech but didn't give any convincing or logical reason why wearing the ring makes more sense and to justify such an absolute article title.
I did try and explain why smart rings were better (they're significantly more comfortable and provide more consistent results than smartwatches, which tend to vary wildly in my experience based on how loosely or tightly I wear them). I also don't drink coffee, lol.

But I suppose I could have done a better job of explaining myself. My point is that with watches, I get results telling me that my heart is unhealthy, or I have sleep apnea, or my body temp is so low that I'm sick, sending me into a spiral of Google searching on what to do about my bad results. And then with another watch or a different fit, the results will be completely different, and I have to figure out which result to trust. It became easier to not wear watches at all and avoid the emotional whiplash.

Again, it's not about Ultrahuman, I'm giving it a review this week and it has its issues. It's just that I don't like the sleep functionality of watches, and even though I'm seemingly in the minority on that, I know at least some people who agree with me and hate the feeling of wearing them to bed, who might prefer a ring instead.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site

Hmm, it seemed like the reason given in the article as to why to wear a ring for sleep instead of a smartwatch was pretty clear, imo.

Reactions: notforhire

bveditz

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I've never thought about buying a ring until recently. I don't like to wear rings. However a couple things have changed my mind. One, I'm in agreement that sleeping in a watch sucks, and as much as I'd like the sleep data, it's just not possible for me. Especially since i have a Galaxy 6 Classic that's been swapped with a nice metal band which makes it look really nice and professional but a terrible sleep watch. Secondly, I'm getting married soon (2nd time is the charm, let's hope), and wondering how these would look in place of a wedding band. I'm equally curious about having both the watch and ring and how that data will co-mingle. Samsung will be easiest but Google health will be fine since i do have that app that can sync the data between the two (since i like to go back and forth between Samsung and Pixel devices).

CatsAreGods

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
My point is that with watches, I get results telling me that my heart is unhealthy, or I have sleep apnea, or my body temp is so low that I'm sick, sending me into a spiral of Google searching on what to do about my bad results.
I'm not even a doctor online but I think you are dealing with overthinking, micromanaging, and anxiety here. None of these things are actual medical devices; they are useful mostly for trends. For instance, last night my watch said I went to sleep at 10:45 PM when I was actually watching YouTube in the living room until 1:15 AM (and that included the times I got up to get snacks, presumably walking in my sleep). But over a week or more, I can see I'm getting enough proper sleep.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I see the point of @Michael L Hicks story.

My husband can not sleep with a watch as he develops hives on his wrist from too many hours of continued use. A smart ring for night could be the answer.

Nobody needs to be judged by their choice of devices to enhance their lives or achieve their goals. We do not live in a 'one size fits all world'.

Reactions: mustang7757

JohnMcL7

Mar 24, 2017
Visit site

That's exactly how it read to me particularly the way they go out of their way to make up excuses about smartwatches to make the ring look good which in turn actually makes the ring appear weak since they have to do that. I wear a Fenix 6s which is light, doesn't press into my skin, doesn't cause swelling or any discomfort yet gives reliable 24/7 HR monitoring which I suspect is the same for every other user of this watch...apart from the article's author of course who apparently can't wear a watch. I'd question their position for writing articles on health and fitness when they have such 'unique' problems.

It's very disappointing this site has to go with such a poorly written promotional clickbait article necessitating its removal from my news sources.

Reactions: SyCoREAPER

modestgeek

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
If Garmin made one I would consider it. Sleep data is important in the calculations of their body battery, training readiness, daily suggested workouts and etc. It's important to have all that data in the same ecosystem.

I have a garmin watch, sleep number bed and withings sleep mat. The sleep number I find the most accurate and useful.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I had watches for years and as part of that I used to regularly take them off throughout the day and set them on the table where ever I was or such, because I never found them comfortable or for me they interfered with things (for me, probably doesn't help that I'm left handed for writing). Before I received my smart watch a year or so ago, I had fallen into a routine of not even wearing a watch anymore at all, ever for about a five to ten year period, any watches that I had were basically just battery dead in a drawer. When I got my current smart watch it was a massive nuance for me, wearing it all the time and to bed. However, I got over it. Sure it still interferes with things sometimes (and I basically never button up my shirt cuffs anymore), but if I (someone who basically detested wearing a normal watch) can wear a smart watch almost 24/7 now, then probably anyone can.

All the health and sleep and step and walk counting and reporting stuff, etc... that my smart watch can perform, for me that was fun to pay attention to and play around with as a novelty, for about a week. I barely ever look at that stuff anyone and certainly avoid tying into as many of the "health services/offerings" as possible. For me, I found most of that stuff to just be more marketing stuff/attempts than anything else.

DanRieger

Mar 25, 2024
Visit site
The main reason I wear a watch to sleep isn't actually for tracking, but for waking up. I just prefer getting a vibration on my wrist to wake up than dealing with an annoying alarm sound, or jump scared by music. Once I started using it for waking up it's been so much better I can't go back to any other soft of alarm. I doubt a ring can do that

Shadow Death

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I wore my Galaxy Watch for about a week before I stopped wearing it to bed. Random notifications while I was asleep kept waking me up so I don't bother. I also realized I knew when I didn't sleep good so it didn't really provide me with anything useful. Lol

DanRieger

Mar 25, 2024
Visit site
I wore my Galaxy Watch for about a week before I stopped wearing it to bed. Random notifications while I was asleep kept waking me up so I don't bother. I also realized I knew when I didn't sleep good so it didn't really provide me with anything useful. Lol
I mean just use sleep mode. I have mine turn on automatically at night so that doesn't happen. I barely track my sleep, it's literally just an alarm clock and a normal smartwatch during the day... I don't even wear it every day, but every night I need an alarm

Reactions: spARTacus

Christopher Torre

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I just upgraded to the Galaxy Watch6 Classic and I'm disappointed in several things. Mainly the sleep tracking data is completely inaccurate, I've worn a Oura ring for several years and believe the sleep tracking to be very accurate. After trying my new Galaxy for about a week, the sleep data seemed to be waaaaay off, some nights indicating I had slept on two hours, which
I knew was incorrect. That led me to performing a test wearing both my watch and ring to bed and the Galaxy sleep data was off significantly (by hours). Additionally I've experienced issues with the watch auto detecting activity. It takes too long to detect walking, elliptical or other workouts. I have checked the settings and they're correct, so unsure of what the issue is. I previously had a Galaxy Gear S2 watch and auto detecting activity was much better. Hopefully Samsung will push an update that increases accuracy in all areas. This leaves the question of what else the watch reports inaccurately? (Blood Oxy, Heartrate etc.)

gjlamb#CB

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Article never mentioned one major use for wearing a smart watch to sleep. As an alarm. An alarm that vibrates mildly and doesn't wake anyone else up or scare the crap out of you when waking up. From what I see, theres only one option out there for a smart ring that has vibration and its not one of the main players.

Emmy Grant

Mar 27, 2024
Visit site
Mr. Hicks is missing an important point: The ring cannot be used for NFC payments. I am using my smart watch with multiple debit and credit cards in multiple countries in multiple regions. I do not care about the fitness data, and several other watch features are unreliable. The altimeter often shows negative (under water) values, and the time lags behind the smart phone it is synched with. But the battery is great. One charge lasts 14 days.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow