Nexus 4 Display Won't Turn On

NoelleSilvia

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 4 since October of 2013. Yesterday while I was listening to music the screen became unresponsive. The display was off, but the music was still going - a sign that the phone wasn't completely dead. Battery was low, but not dead. Tried rebooting, but the power button didn't respond.

Got home, charged it for about 3 hours. Still nothing... Then I plugged it back in and the screen came on. The battery was charged all the way. Then left it charging overnight and the next morning again nothing. Power button didn't respond. I tried rebooting. At first the display would work again after a reboot, but once the screen was turned off, it wouldn't come back on again.

I did a factory reset, but that didn't help. I wanted to do a hard reset, but the display has not turned on. The phone however IS turned on, because I can hear notifications coming in. And I can tell it is "turning" on because of the little vibration you always get... When my phone is plugged in, and I do the power/volume down combo, the red light starts blinking, but since the battery isn't dead I have no idea what this means...

I don't want to send in my phone for repair just yet, as I will be without a phone for at least 2 weeks... And I am graduating soon, so I want to be able to reach people...

PS: I got the 4.4.3 system update 2 days ago, so I am thinking that may have something to do with it?

NoelleSilvia

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Thank you! Apparently with Nexus 4 you can completely reset the hardware by holding volume down and power button at the same time and a screen should pop up... Not with me though.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! Apparently with Nexus 4 you can completely reset the hardware by holding volume down and power button at the same time and a screen should pop up... Not with me though.

That sounds like recovery, not a reset. In recovery you can do a factory reset, but it is similar to what you have already done.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app