NEXUS 4 - How to Recover factory reset encrypted data?

imhits

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Nexus 4, with no roots no custom ROMs, as basic as it gets. Recently my phone got an upgrade to Android L and I installed the updates without taking any backup. I was getting errors on installing new apps so I did a power off and restarted it. The phone went into a boot loop and I had to do a factory reset. The problem - my phone had some important pictures of my little baby and now they cannot be recovered because I had encrypted the phone. I know the passcode used for encryption if only that helps.
Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.
Thanks,
IMHITS

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
The problem - my phone had some important pictures of my little baby and now they cannot be recovered because I had encrypted the phone. I know the passcode used for encryption if only that helps.
I'm sorry to tell you, but they're gone... the whole point of encryption is that nobody (not even you) can get to that data without the key. Android's encryption destroys the user area once the phone is factory reset, as part of its protection of encrypted files.

You wouldn't have, hopefully, maybe backed up the pics to Google+ or something?

I know this is hindsight, but this program will help back up files to wherever you want: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pps/details?id=com.bv.wifisync&token=WkAaVamp so hopefully this doesn't happen to you in the future.

Once Android phone is reset to factory settings, you must stop using the android phone if you want to restore data back. But if you add any new data to the Android Smartphone, then deleted file space will be overwritten and data will not be recoverable. then try some free data recovery on the net.
No, no, no... not even close. The encrypted partition's data is destroyed upon a factory wipe. This is not like deleting a file from a regular drive and then un-deleting it, so long as nothing was written to the sector -- first of all, the entire partition was reformatted, second, the filesystem's ext4, which is less forgiving at undeleting, third, the previousl partition was encrypted, thus was 'garbage' as far as the new filesystem is concerned.

Let me put it this way, if he did recover the files, I'd be upset because the whole point of the encryption was bypassed.