Nexus 5: Screen protector needed?

A-Pac

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Ive always used a screen protector on my phone...being in my pocket and all. I didn't put one on my Nexus 7 and like it so much better.

With the Nexus 5 having gorilla glass 3, do you think its necessary to get a screen protector for it or no? What about for a woman who throws it randomly in her purse?

Last edited by a moderator:

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Screen protector needed?

I would get a screen protector. Better safe than sorry. You don't want your brand spanking new device to get an ugly scratch in it.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Yes, gorilla glass never work as good as they claim.

Posted via Android Central App

A-Pac

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site

Any recommendations? Ive always used Skinomi, but willing to check out something else....

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

I would never put a screen protector on. But that's just me..

I agree. I only had a screen protector on my Palm Pre Plus because it's screen was plastic. Don't just toss phones in pockets either. I either use a dedicated holster for my model phone or a universal holster if one for my model doesn't exist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

It will eventually get scratched, nicked, dropped or damaged somehow....I won't waste money in protecting it. Phones are better naked.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

It will eventually get scratched, nicked, dropped or damaged somehow....I won't waste money in protecting it. Phones are better naked.

No it won't. Had my current phone for two years and not a scratch on it. Screen protectors won't protect from drops.

Not necessary. Not with gorilla glass. Unless you keep your phone in the same pocket with a janitor's size key ring full of keys, it won't get scratches.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Any recommendations? Ive always used Skinomi, but willing to check out something else....

I'm not a fan of screen protectors, but I'm way less of a fan of even the tiniest of scratches. Too OCD! After someone stole my mint N4, I ended up buying a used N4 with some very slight scratches. I got used to it but occasionally it in the perfect lighting/screen off you can see them and it drives me nuts. I also hate the feel of screen protectors, so I'm going to give a GLASS screen protector a try. I'm hoping the selling in this guys (long) post makes one for the N5. I would suggest going this route for the extra protection without losing the feel of glass, because it is glass lol.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...tempered-glass-note-3-warning-kinda-long.html

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

I agree. I only had a screen protector on my Palm Pre Plus because it's screen was plastic. Don't just toss phones in pockets either. I either use a dedicated holster for my model phone or a universal holster if one for my model doesn't exist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

holster? please don't.

Wearing my cell phone

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

No it won't. Had my current phone for two years and not a scratch on it. Screen protectors won't protect from drops.

Not necessary. Not with gorilla glass. Unless you keep your phone in the same pocket with a janitor's size key ring full of keys, it won't get scratches.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Keys are nothing. You're just fortunate a tiny grain of sand never met your screen with any pressure;)

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

I put a screen protector on my Fascinate 4 years ago and that lasted all of two days. I hated the way it felt and they way it looked and haven't used one since. Both my Fascinate and my S3 are still scratch free and I'm hard on my phones. While I admit you CAN actually notice tiny micro scratches on my Fascinate, but only when the phone is turned off and you tilt it at a certain angle. Today's screens simply do not scratch as much as people think and screen protectors are not needed imo.
Just my 2 cents....opinions vary of course.

tap'n

stylez619

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

I actually still have the OEM film that shipped on my N4 face. It's worked perfectly thus far. "If it's cheap and it works, it ain't stupid."

gumpty

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

FWIW the best screen protector I've used is the Martin Fields brand. Tempted to try the 'glass' type screen protectors.

Posted via Android Central App

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

I probably wouldn't put one on, but I agree with neonworm, and the good thing is you can probably get one fairly cheap! That is what my bf did, he got one on amazon for a good price. The only thing is if you put one on you just have to be really precise about it, otherwise you might get stuck with air bubbles. But if that doesn't bother you than you are all good!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I actually still have the OEM film that shipped on my N4 face. It's worked perfectly thus far. "If it's cheap and it works, it ain't stupid."

This. I was so p*ssed off when someone working at Best Buy pulled the plastic off the screen of my last feature phone just after I gave them my money!

They peel off eventually but while they're on you have the wonderful feeling of knowing you have a virgin screen under there without ever having been covered with oil, fingerprints, germs and residue.

The problem with screen protectors is I wouldn't be able to get one on without some dust or fingerprint under it.

Sent from my C5170 via Tapatalk 2

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I never understand the need to use a screen protector. The screens with the projector looks ugly as hell. What's the point? I'd rather look at a screen with s few scratches than the one without but has a protector on it.

None of my past phones (GS1, GS2, HTC OneX, Lumia) never had any scratches on them naked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez