Google Wallet on Nexus 5

dylanrod24

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T are all partnered in on Isis Wallet. All three carriers block the ability to pay in-store using NFC. I was wondering with the AT&T Nexus 5 if it can pay in-store using NFC on Google Wallet since it is a Google phone?

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I can now download and open the Wallet App on my One. Will try tap to pay as soon as I can.
On the Nexus since it is not being certified by carrier and they don't touch it NFC payments should work. SIM shouldn't block the function.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T are all partnered in on Isis Wallet. All three carriers block the ability to pay in-store using NFC. I was wondering with the AT&T Nexus 5 if it can pay in-store using NFC on Google Wallet since it is a Google phone?

It almost certainly works, but if its a deciding feature for you then wait till more of them are out there for first hand experience.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I can now download and open the Wallet App on my One. Will try tap to pay as soon as I can.
On the Nexus since it is not being certified by carrier and they don't touch it NFC payments should work. SIM shouldn't block the function.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Its not a question of having the updated app. The key component is for the nexus they ditched the "secure element" for NFC and that is where the old problems were. The new technology in the nexus should circumvent what the carriers were doing and just work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
If you did not have tap and pay before the Google Wallet app was updated you will not have it now...yet. The Nexus 5 is already listed as having tap to pay on the devices list of Google Wallet and it will work on any carrier. I used my Nexus and Google edition devices on ATT and routinely use tap to pay.

The good news is that Google announced last week that they have developed a way to use tap and pay without a secure element so as long as you have a US based SIM card it should work on the carriers. That will be good news and finally allow everyone to use Google Wallet and deal a serious blow to ISIS.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
If you did not have tap and pay before the Google Wallet app was updated you will not have it now...yet. The Nexus 5 is already listed as having tap to pay on the devices list of Google Wallet and it will work on any carrier. I used my Nexus and Google edition devices on ATT and routinely use tap to pay.

The good news is that Google announced last week that they have developed a way to use tap and pay without a secure element so as long as you have a US based SIM card it should work on the carriers. That will be good news and finally allow everyone to use Google Wallet and deal a serious blow to ISIS.

That last sentence is key.

Off topic plano is nice BTW

dylanrod24

May 6, 2013
Visit site

I did hear about this. The new Google Wallet update for tap and pay I thought was only in kitkat 4.4? And not all phones will be updated to 4.4

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

I've been able to use tap-to-pay on the Nexus S, the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 4 on T-Mobile definitely and possibly AT&T (I don't remember if I actually used Google Wallet while I had my AT&T SIM card in the Nexus devices). I don't see why it would be any different with the Nexus 5.

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Do you know if isis would work on the nexus 5? I love in Slc and some vendors offer amazing discounts for using the isis wallet. Not too many here offer anything for Google wallet

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
The N5 w/ 4.4 has the ability to use t&p without the secure element required. It basically gives the middle finger to the wireless carriers.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I did hear about this. The new Google Wallet update for tap and pay I thought was only in kitkat 4.4? And not all phones will be updated to 4.4

It may be an 4.4 thing, I was not aware of that. I thought it was independent. but they are projecting that 4.4 will be available to many more devices than 4.x OS's

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Do you know if isis would work on the nexus 5? I love in Slc and some vendors offer amazing discounts for using the isis wallet. Not too many here offer anything for Google wallet

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Good question...I am in Austin quite often for business and have checked on this several times but never did it because I had a Nexus or Google edition and did not need the ISIS SIM card. I was in there last week, and the AT&T reps were encouraging me NOT to do ISIS. They could not answer any questions on why it was taking so long to roll out. All they said is that it only works with AMEX and Chase (I have both) but they were basically telling me NOT to do it.

Maybe AT&T, VZW, and TMO will realize that it is over and allow Google Wallet! In any event, I hope that new Google Wallet rolls out and eats ISIS's lunch. When will the carriers realize that denying choice is not a sustainable business practice? Just because I use AT&T does not mean I want my choices denied and will use their tap and pay system. I choose Google Wallet.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
It may be an 4.4 thing, I was not aware of that. I thought it was independent. but they are projecting that 4.4 will be available to many more devices than 4.x OS's

I think too much is being made of 4.4 being able to work on more devices. Its not like system requirements are usually what keep people from getting updates. This will be great for people who want to run 4.4 on an old device using a ROM like CyanogenMod but its not like manufacturers and carriers are going to improve their update habits because of this

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
The tap to pay thing for 4.4 is specifically for devices without the NFC secure element. I'm not sure if it can work on devices that don't have this new tech.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I think too much is being made of 4.4 being able to work on more devices. Its not like system requirements are usually what keep people from getting updates. This will be great for people who want to run 4.4 on an old device using a ROM like CyanogenMod but its not like manufacturers and carriers are going to improve their update habits because of this

You may be right with regard to US carriers. I heard they are doing it (4.4 compatibility) for several emerging market, BRIIM as google calls it or Brazil, Russia, India, Indonesia and Mexico. That is where they project android's growth.

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Just used Google Wallet and tap to pay at Office Depot and Whole Foods. I have used it regularly on past Nexus and Google Edition phones so when I logged inot the app it brought up my three cards from Google Wallet (Amex, work credit card and debit card) I selected my debit as default and it worked just like it always has.

I am on AT&T.

lakaw

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Just used Google Wallet and tap to pay at Office Depot and Whole Foods. I have used it regularly on past Nexus and Google Edition phones so when I logged inot the app it brought up my three cards from Google Wallet (Amex, work credit card and debit card) I selected my debit as default and it worked just like it always has.

I am on AT&T.

Great! Thanks for the feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana