Nexus 5: Problems & Issues

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I had a Nexus 5 but wanted the new shiny thing and got the GPE M8. I'm now about a day or two away from sending it back and buying a Nexus 5 again. Don't get me wrong, it's a good phone, but there's a lot that the Nexus 5 had that I loved. I just don't think the GPE M8 is worth the extra money over the Nexus 5. There's a lot to be said about using what works best for you. Which is why we have options. Every phone has issues.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I had a Nexus 5 but wanted the new shiny thing and got the GPE M8. I'm now about a day or two away from sending it back and buying a Nexus 5 again. Don't get me wrong, it's a good phone, but there's a lot that the Nexus 5 had that I loved. I just don't think the GPE M8 is worth the extra money over the Nexus 5. There's a lot to be said about using what works best for you. Which is why we have options. Every phone has issues.

Really? You think the nexus 5 is better than the GPE M8? I'm actually quite suprised by that. I'm really tempted to pick one up even though I'll still use my iPhone as my primary. It just looks so excellent that I feel like I have to own it for some reason. I might just get the regular one but it'll definitely be an M8. Why do you feel that way? What justified returning it? I would think the change would be enormous

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Really? You think the nexus 5 is better than the GPE M8? I'm actually quite suprised by that. I'm really tempted to pick one up even though I'll still use my iPhone as my primary. It just looks so excellent that I feel like I have to own it for some reason. I might just get the regular one but it'll definitely be an M8. Why do you feel that way? What justified returning it? I would think the change would be enormous

Well I haven't returned it yet. But I'm pretty close to doing it. Mainly because I don't think it's worth the extra $300 over the Nexus 5. The build is better, but I've also had some issues with the sound being too powerful that things distort. And the build isn't THAT much better, in my opinion. Also, the camera is easily not even on the same playing field - it's slower and takes much worse pictures without good detail. The screen is only slightly better - and at that, it's really only brighter. Battery life is also only slightly better. And I see absolutely no discernible difference in speed. The SD card access is nice, but it's severely limited on stock KitKat. In a nutshell, it's not worth the extra money. Maybe $50-100 more. But I see it more of a lateral move. Some things are better. Some are worse.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Well I haven't returned it yet. But I'm pretty close to doing it. Mainly because I don't think it's worth the extra $300 over the Nexus 5. The build is better, but I've also had some issues with the sound being too powerful that things distort. And the build isn't THAT much better, in my opinion. Also, the camera is easily not even on the same playing field - it's slower and takes much worse pictures without good detail. The screen is only slightly better - and at that, it's really only brighter. Battery life is also only slightly better. And I see absolutely no discernible difference in speed. The SD card access is nice, but it's severely limited on stock KitKat. In a nutshell, it's not worth the extra money. Maybe $50-100 more. But I see it more of a lateral move. Some things are better. Some are worse.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I'm surprised that the speaker would distort on the M8. I know Erica Griffin discussed that hers was doing that as well but she had another one shipped out which was fine. Maybe some have a defect? I can also see the camera being an issue. I don't really take a lot of pictures so it wouldn't bother me. For me, I'd be willing to pay the extra money. I can definitely understand why some people wouldn't find the value in it though

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I'm surprised that the speaker would distort on the M8. I know Erica Griffin discussed that hers was doing that as well but she had another one shipped out which was fine. Maybe some have a defect? I can also see the camera being an issue. I don't really take a lot of pictures so it wouldn't bother me. For me, I'd be willing to pay the extra money. I can definitely understand why some people wouldn't find the value in it though

No problem at all. I've thought about doing an RMA to see if the speaker might be better on another one. And I take a ton of pics with having two daughters, so it's important to me. You can take some decent pics with this, but the Nexus is leaps and bounds better. It really isn't even a contest. Like I said, there is some extra value, but I just don't see the $300 difference. You can get a Nexus 5 and 7 for less than the GPE M8.

Siggz

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone had luck with RMAs for weird vibrating motors with CPW?

Mine sort of makes a really annoying sound after the vibration, and it's really loud as well (well it's pretty easy hear it in a fairly quiet room)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yman Juran

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
i like to learn how to get rid of the Google Talk..... the google front bar at the top of the screen since it only really works in English and since the weather screen is shown in Fahrenheit. while i like the weather degrees in Celsius.
I find it very strange that there is no such option build into the settings....this force us to keep a Google bar on the screen even we dont like to use it.
I like to think this kind of Googlisme is actually a special kind of force adverticement. AND I want to get RID of IT. I like the N5 but WHY should I be forced to accept a Google talk bar on my finder screen window. ?????????????

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
i like to learn how to get rid of the Google Talk..... the google front bar at the top of the screen since it only really works in English and since the weather screen is shown in Fahrenheit. while i like the weather degrees in Celsius.
I find it very strange that there is no such option build into the settings....this force us to keep a Google bar on the screen even we dont like to use it.
I like to think this kind of Googlisme is actually a special kind of force adverticement. AND I want to get RID of IT. I like the N5 but WHY should I be forced to accept a Google talk bar on my finder screen window. ?????????????

That's kind of like saying you bought a Mercedes and resent having the hood ornament. Just put a third party launcher on it. You can use free ones, no adds, no lag, no Google search bar. You can change the weather app to show degrees in Celsius. Smh.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central. As suggested by mrsmumbles, install an alternative launcher like Nova, which allows you to customize things a little more, including removing the Google Search bar (which I assume you're referring to--Google Talk was renamed Hangouts a while ago, and is not integral to the homescreen). Nova retains much of the vanilla Android appearance.

There are dozens of weather widgets available on Google Play that allow you to display temps in Celsius.

I don't consider Google to be advertising by making the Google Search bar integral to the home screen. It's a Google product, that closely integrates Google services. If you'd rather not use Google services, you can root the phone and remove most of them, or you could just go with a different platform. But you won't find nearly as much flexibility elsewhere.

iFrosty

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I suffer from the data and calling issues on my Nexus unit on ATT. I have done everything I could to fix it myself (bootloader unlock, restore to 4.4,etc). I've sent it back to LG and they returned it saying nothing was wrong. Now I'm just waiting to see if the new OS update will take care of this issue.

hell911

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Im having problem with speaker on the phone. The left speaker is fine, i can hear music, videos, and movies from it. But right speaker doesnt produce any sound.

mron71

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I used to be able to long press bookmarks and add them to home screen. Can't do this anymore... did a reset but still not there. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I used to be able to long press bookmarks and add them to home screen. Can't do this anymore... did a reset but still not there. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Welcome to Android Central! Honestly, I had never tried that before, so I never noticed if it went away. You could add a Bookmark to the homescreen by long-pressing an empty part of the homescreen, selecting Widgets, then selecting Bookmark. After you place the Bookmark widget on the screen, it will ask you to select one of your Chrome bookmarks.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone still have issues with light bleed on the screen? I had one and sold it when the GPE M8 came out and then I decided to get an N5 again. I got one that had a bad light bleed ring on the bottom of the phone. So I got it replaced and the next one has a pretty solid bunch of bleed in the upper left hand corner. It almost looks like it's pulsating. These were both 404 serial numbers. I can't decide if I should return this one and get a replacement or just return it altogether and keep the M8. I loved the Nexus but I can't deal with the light bleed. It's TOO noticeable for me and my OCD.