Does the nexus 5 really have a lot of issues?

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Be specific. I gave my buddy Chetan a hard time about iOS. And I threatened to never leave Verizon because of coverage. However, no matter how hazed and confused I can get, I know exactly where I have been and what I have said. I would still be on my note 3 if it wasn't for winning ACs nexus 5 contest. As far as I am concerned, the android gods have changed my tune!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I mean you've changed your tune about the Nexus 5. You went from bashing it more than once to now saying it's the best phone ever in the span of less than a week (or in another way of looking at it, since you ironically won a N5 in a contest the same week you bashed it to pieces lol ) Specifically:

Nexus 5 is boring. Gawd awful boring. ....get that OS and wait.....then wait some more while moto kicks but. Nexus is so dead.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
And that is why the nexus 5 is a boring mamba Jamba. Like all the other versions. .......freaking boring.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I can only assume that "free" is an instant cure for boring, yes? :p

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I mean you've changed your tune about the Nexus 5. You went from bashing it more than once to now saying it's the best phone ever in the span of less than a week (or in another way of looking at it, since you ironically won a N5 in a contest the same week you bashed it to pieces lol ) Specifically:

I can only assume that "free" is an instant cure for boring, yes? :p

Lol! I actually still stand by those statements. I have always felt the nexus devices to be boring. That is not a bad thing. It just means no frills strait stock. It isn't spiced up with extra crap Samsung or HTC ware. There is no carrier bloat. Boring stock Google. But that is why I like it! It is zen! Like a zen garden. Boring but so much google serenity. It is actually a good thing ;)

I was more concerned about the insulting members. I make it a strong point to keep the argument/bashing/celebrating to the device or the OS. Years ago I would get pulled into the *net wars* but I like to think I have done some growing in the mean time. Cheers.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
You can buy an HTC One for $549 on Verizon, or $599 on Google Play for the GPE. As for the Nexus 5, I don't mean to "poo poo" on it, but I also wish more people would be more realistic about it's capabilities.

I thought $650 seemed a little high, but that's what Amazon told me (for the AT&T version at least). Still, $200 is nothing to sneeze at. Fair enough on the other comment, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Lol! I actually still stand by those statements. I have always felt the nexus devices to be boring. That is not a bad thing. It just means no frills strait stock. It isn't spiced up with extra crap Samsung or HTC ware.
Which is why it is better.

I applaud HTC and Samsung for innovating on their own. But as an end user it is EXTREMELY annoying when you are forced to use it. They do not give you the option of uninstalling it and going back to stock. Even rooting did not free me from Sense oppression on my Rezound...I was still stuck with things like their dialer. Some things are so deeply baked into those skins you can never rid yourself of them.

This has made me despise Touchwiz and Sense. Touchwiz was worse, but I hate them both now.

Nexus phones are like a blank slate...YOU add the stuff you want. You can even uninstall google apps if you don't want them.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I hear you. Something about my note 3 after using the moto x was still disappointing. I feel like I will *actually* use every corner of the nexus is where as the note 3 had a bazzillion things I could care less about. Samsung's service's as so hard up in that device it is actually quite annoying. That big plastic home button is not missed either. I feel like the build quality of the nexus is quite a bit better than Samsung's as well.

I give credit to moto for really innovating with what they have done. I must eat some crow when I said the nexus was dead (that statement was in referral to innovation, nothing else) but Google did a great job of improving the OS. While I still feel the moto x is more innovative, aside from active notifications and always listening, the nexus 5 is a much better built device with a screen that is absolutely incredible. Do not put a nexus next to a moto lol. I love this boring phone!

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I hear you. Something about my note 3 after using the moto x was still disappointing. I feel like I will *actually* use every corner of the nexus is where as the note 3 had a bazzillion things I could care less about. Samsung's service's as so hard up in that device it is actually quite annoying. That big plastic home button is not missed either. I feel like the build quality of the nexus is quite a bit better than Samsung's as well.

I give credit to moto for really innovating with what they have done. I must eat some crow when I said the nexus was dead (that statement was in referral to innovation, nothing else) but Google did a great job of improving the OS. While I still feel the moto x is more innovative, aside from active notifications and always listening, the nexus 5 is a much better built device with a screen that is absolutely incredible. Do not put a nexus next to a moto lol. I love this boring phone!
I think Google is using Moto as a testbed for new stuff now. I definitely like the direction Motorola has gone since they got bought by Google.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I applaud HTC and Samsung for innovating on their own. But as an end user it is EXTREMELY annoying when you are forced to use it. They do not give you the option of uninstalling it and going back to stock. Even rooting did not free me from Sense oppression on my Rezound...I was still stuck with things like their dialer. Some things are so deeply baked into those skins you can never rid yourself of them.

This has made me despise Touchwiz and Sense. Touchwiz was worse, but I hate them both now.

Nexus phones are like a blank slate...YOU add the stuff you want. You can even uninstall google apps if you don't want them.

It's better for you. For millions, Touchwiz/Sense is actually preferred.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
How did you determine that? Do you have a poll? Did you ask them?

I'm hardly the only one of this forum who does not like skinned phones.

I know, I know; I went against your hero device again. How dare I. As far as polls, no, I don't, but sales figures would suggest that there's a pretty large market for those phones. Even at $349, the Nexus 5 won't remotely phase the Galaxy S4. By the way, have you listened to the podcasts here on AC or seen the comparison videos at PocketNow? I watched them yesterday and it's odd that they seem to have a very similiar feeling about your beloved Nexus 5 as I do. Again, I don't hate the Nexus 5; in fact, I'm going to pick one up today to see how the camera is since there's wildly different reports on it, but I also am realistic on how good of a phone it is.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I know, I know; I went against your hero device again. How dare I.
I'm not complaining. You're entitled to an opinion.

But you keep implying stuff as fact when it is clearly an opinion. I am just asking questions about the claims you're making...I'm not passing judgement on your phone preferences or buying decisions.

As far as polls, no, I don't, but sales figures would suggest that there's a pretty large market for those phones.
Is it possible that the sales might be due to variables other than the skin? Like maybe marketing, or hardware specs or build quality? Nexus devices do not seem to have a hard time selling.

I bought a nexus despite the fact that it has no SD or removable battery. Other factors made up for that deficiency for me. Is it possible that people are buying Samsung and HTC phones despite the skins, and not because of them?

Even at $349, the Nexus 5 won't remotely phase the Galaxy S4.
I would be surprised if it did...the GS4 is available on all carriers and is heavily advertised and is a great phone. That does not necessarily mean it is selling well because of touchwiz.

Again, I don't hate the Nexus 5
Thats obvious...you spend so much time in the Nexus 5 forum, how could you hate it?

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I'm not complaining. You're entitled to an opinion.

But you keep implying stuff as fact when it is clearly an opinion. I am just asking questions about the claims you're making...I'm not passing judgement on your phone preferences or buying decisions.

Is it possible that the sales might be due to variables other than the skin? Like maybe marketing, or hardware specs or build quality? Nexus devices do not seem to have a hard time selling.

I bought a nexus despite the fact that it has no SD or removable battery. Other factors made up for that deficiency for me. Is it possible that people are buying Samsung and HTC phones despite the skins, and not because of them?

I would be surprised if it did...the GS4 is available on all carriers and is heavily advertised and is a great phone. That does not necessarily mean it is selling well because of touchwiz.

Thats obvious...you spend so much time in the Nexus 5 forum, how could you hate it?

I feel like I'm explaining this to people who have zero idea how the industry actually works. Do you realize how small the section of people is that actually care about stock Android? There's a much larger market for phones that can talk back at you, change the channel on your TV, and have split-screen multi-tasking. Just because stock Android is typically a cleaner experience, the skins on other phones aren't worse. They're more feature-rich and impressive to people who like their phones to do more.

I'm glad you like your phone. I'm just going to leave it at that.

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

Agreed 100%. Before the Nexus 5, I used the GS4 Google Edition in order to enjoy the best phone available at the time and not have it be tainted by the abomination known as TouchWiz. I honestly couldn't care less for gimmicky nonsense like touchless scrolling and air gestures, among many others. I remember reading a review stating that Samsung seems to be throwing all it can at a wall to see what sticks, when it comes to TouchWiz. All it does is cause the phone to lag and delay software updates. I will never buy another phone with carrier overlays.

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Just because stock Android is typically a cleaner experience, the skins on other phones aren't worse. They're more feature-rich and impressive to people who like their phones to do more.

To some people, it's features. To others, it's useless bloat.

When I got the GS4GE, my brother-in-law's eyes lit up when he saw it and he asked me if he could try scrolling through a web page with his eyes. I spent the next few minutes explaining to him what stock Android is.

With regards to people liking their phones to do more, there's a stark difference between functionality and tricks to impress the uninitiated at social gatherings.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I feel like I'm explaining this to people who have zero idea how the industry actually works.
Thank god there are people like you to educate us as to why our opinions are wrong.

Do you realize how small the section of people is that actually care about stock Android?
How many people know that it is an alternative? Maybe they would prefer it if they knew about it. They do not know about it because Google does not market it nearly as aggressively as Samsung and HTC.

What they will see on the Nexus 5 is that everything works better and faster and smoother. You do not need to know anything about stock Android to see that.

There's a much larger market for phones that can talk back at you, change the channel on your TV, and have split-screen multi-tasking.
The average user does not know or care about any of those things either. No one in my office has any clue what split-screen multitasking even is, nevermind how to use it.

Last edited: