How well does the spen work, any damage?

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
I am cruious as to how well the spen works on the fold. I am currently trying the s24u and I really like navigating around the phone with the spen. However I really miss that big beautiful fold screen lol.

I have fallen in love with the fold 5, more than I thought. Just a week of not using it and I really want to put my sim back in it and return the s24u. I really like the spen especially for jigsaw puzzle games and coloring in penup. I am cautious and don't want to damage the inner screen.

I know the spen for the fold is designed to not damage the screen. I still have my concerns. Has anyone experienced any issues with the spen on the fold 5?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
No damage for me. I will say that the crease does effect the usage for me. When gliding across the screen it sometimes jumps the Spen and loses contact to the screen. I have to push a little harder going over the screen.

Reactions: TheAngryToaster

John Ocampos

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site
I've read through the thread with interest, and I appreciate all the insights shared so far. It's clear there are varied experiences regarding how well the S Pen works and concerns about potential damage to the screen.

From what I gather, the S Pen is designed to be safe for use with compatible screens, provided we use it as intended. However, I'm curious about long-term use. Does the screen show any wear or micro-scratches from regular S Pen use, especially for those who've had their devices for a while? Also, are there any tips for minimizing potential damage or wear from the S Pen? I've heard about screen protectors, but do they affect the S Pen's sensitivity or accuracy?

Additionally, I'm interested in how the S Pen performs across different applications and tasks. Are there particular apps or use cases where the S Pen excels, or perhaps doesn't meet expectations?

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I am cruious as to how well the spen works on the fold. I am currently trying the s24u and I really like navigating around the phone with the spen. However I really miss that big beautiful fold screen lol.

I have fallen in love with the fold 5, more than I thought. Just a week of not using it and I really want to put my sim back in it and return the s24u. I really like the spen especially for jigsaw puzzle games and coloring in penup. I am cautious and don't want to damage the inner screen.

I know the spen for the fold is designed to not damage the screen. I still have my concerns. Has anyone experienced any issues with the spen on the fold 5?
I had a "screen" injury and subsequently found out by a technician at the Samsung Experience Store and he clarified about the 2mm dead pixel spot in the crease!

I do use the S-pen quite a bit and after about a years usage developed a 2mm dead pixel along the crease. The technician looked at it and where the dead pixel was located, there was a tiny dent, so small you'd have to look hard. And it was determined it was caused by a hard tap using the s-pen.

Luckily they did a warranty case and I got a new hinge and screen. Otherwise it would cost 800$ for an out of warranty screen replacement.

I was also told that warranties are better handled in store when you have Samsung's device warranty. I do have my carriers version of device protection, Rogers wireless!

Last edited:
Reactions: J Dubbs