Does the nexus 5 really have a lot of issues?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I bet you feel really good about that.
I did think it was kind of funny. But it is also real news. I just found out about it this morning. It is awesome to me that Nexus devices are being offered on contract as a standard thing now.

Now all we need to do is get them on Verizon.

Incitatus

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I am curious how many negative comments originate from Cupertino IP addresses. They are a marketing company and all.

Posted via Android Central App

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Interesting that pretty much everything I've said here has been vocalized on 2 separate podcasts by the people who run this site. Specifically my comments on the Moto X.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
You seem to be implying that they do not have their own biases.

Or that while it's still a great phone (I'm using one now, actually) it's still not as good overall as other more innovative, well-rounded offerings like the One or Moto X.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Or that while it's still a great phone (I'm using one now, actually) it's still not as good overall as other more innovative, well-rounded offerings like the One or Moto X.
Did you read what they had to say about a comparison between the nexus 5 and the One?

we found the Nexus 5 to consistently offer better pictures in nearly all scenes. One of our biggest complaints about the HTC One is the over-processed look it gives pictures, and while we know that comes out of necessity with only having a 4MP camera it just comes off looking wrong to our eyes. In both auto and HDR mode, the One took consistently brighter pictures than the Nexus 5, but did so at the expense of adding lots of processing and grain to pictures — often over-exposing them far more than we'd like.

Although it took darker pictures when compared side-by-side to the One, we found the pictures coming out of the Nexus 5 to be more true to life, leaving shadows where they should be and highlighting other parts just the right amount. The difference is even more dramatic in HDR+ mode, which seems to gather a drastically better range of color than the HTC One's HDR mode.

The Nexus 5 vs. the HTC One | Android Central

They seem to think the Nexus 5 is on the same level as the HTC One overall. Do you agree with Android Central?

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Did you read what they had to say about a comparison between the nexus 5 and the One?

They seem to think the Nexus 5 is on the same level as the HTC One overall. Do you agree with Android Central?

We must read different things. Sounds to me like they prefer the build, the screen, the speakers, and the GPE version will get 4.4 in a few days. Which I'm pretty sure is exactly what I said. Camera? Sure, its better on the 5. There's not much else.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
We must read different things. Sounds to me like they prefer the build, the screen, the speakers, and the GPE version will get 4.4 in a few days. Which I'm pretty sure is exactly what I said. Camera? Sure, its better on the 5. There's not much else.

I have wireless charging which I don't think the One has. I do miss the Zoe from the One though

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I haven't noticed any problems. I've had the phone only since yesterday, granted, but I've been constantly playing with it. I like to leave my phone on auto brightness, and both the responsiveness and the brightness levels of this setting is improved since the N4.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting very good screen time and standby on the battery so far. On my other phone the battery would be lower by now (haven't charged since early yesterday).

But I miss the percentage on the battery icon.

It got a little too warm just a short time ago without very intensive use, just web and forums and looking into apps on the phone.

The shape of the phone bothers me less today. Less sharpness feeling in my palm and fingers.

Screen is gorgeous. As far as I can tell my device is flawless. I haven't tried the camera yet. Or the speakers for music. Or calls because no carrier/Sim yet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
My battery performance today

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384020923660.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384020923660.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 40

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
We must read different things.
Let me highlight it for you then:

the Nexus 5 and HTC One are very comparable, each one edging out just slightly in different categories. ... Between these two phones it's a toss-up on which one to get, and it really comes down to which features suit you best.

The Nexus 5 vs. the HTC One | Android Central

That seems pretty unambiguous to me. That does not sound like they think the One is clearly better.

Camera? Sure, its better on the 5.
Oh good. I am glad we agree the One does not have a "world beating" camera, apparently.

There's not much else.
...except a faster processor and better updates. This on a significantly cheaper phone btw. It's not like we are even comparing apples to apples anymore. For the price they are charging, the One should be better in every way.

The One GPE suffers from the same drawbacks you made of the Nexus before...you cannot get it on contract. The difference is that the Nexus is now available on contract. The One GPE still is not...and is also far more expensive. But even on contract, the Nexus 5 is significantly cheaper.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting very good screen time and standby on the battery so far. On my other phone the battery would be lower by now (haven't charged since early yesterday).

Since the Nexus 4 they have been like that. I don't even think it is the battery...I think it is Vanilla Android and it's power management being better.

But I miss the percentage on the battery icon.
Here you go:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...et.hubalek.android.reborn.beta&token=IAzcGwhr
It is not just a widget (though the widget looks very cool)...it will put a percentage in your notification bar as well.

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Since the Nexus 4 they have been like that. I don't even think it is the battery...I think it is Vanilla Android and it's power management being better.

Here you go:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...et.hubalek.android.reborn.beta&token=Mcfce_Z7
It is not just a widget (thought the widget looks very cool)...it will put a percentage in your notification bar as well.

Thank you! :thumbup::beer::thumbup:

Was the percentage on the battery icon a regular feature in Jelly Bean or do I have it on my Jelly Bean phone because of the manufacturer ui?

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I have not had one issue with the devices since receiving it. Let's hope it stays that way.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Just a note about the nexus price for those on 2 year contracts. If you buy a $700 carrier phone on a 2 year contract for $200, then pay the upgrade fee in a year plus around the 2-300 new contract phone price, you end up not paying not a ton more than you would if you were to buy a 32 gb nexus every year.
Depending on your carrier. In my country that's roughly how it works.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
It will not have the saturation of an AMOLED display. You can probably make it like that (you could with the Nexus 4 using the Franco Kernel), but it will not be like that stock. A higher saturation does pop more but at the cost of accurate color reproduction, which is a common criticism of AMOLED displays. I think this is the main reason that the iPhones are still LCD too.

The stock saturation is higher on the Nexus 5 than on the Nexus 4 though. I did not get the feeling that it is washed out.

hmm... that is interesting... i never thought of the possibility of increasing saturation, but I think that it may eat up more battery.... hmm... tough decisions... Well at least the 5 is easier to unlock and flash roms with.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
hmm... that is interesting... i never thought of the possibility of increasing saturation, but I think that it may eat up more battery.... hmm... tough decisions... Well at least the 5 is easier to unlock and flash roms with.

Adjusting saturation will definitely not eat battery. But I don't think there is a way to do it without rooting.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Let me highlight it for you then:

That seems pretty unambiguous to me. That does not sound like they think the One is clearly better.

Oh good. I am glad we agree the One does not have a "world beating" camera, apparently.

...except a faster processor and better updates. This on a significantly cheaper phone btw. It's not like we are even comparing apples to apples anymore. For the price they are charging, the One should be better in every way.

The One GPE suffers from the same drawbacks you made of the Nexus before...you cannot get it on contract. The difference is that the Nexus is now available on contract. The One GPE still is not...and is also far more expensive. But even on contract, the Nexus 5 is significantly cheaper.

Listen to the podcasts; they're not going to put a comparison up that favors one over the other like that. Although if you read the entire thing, considering the advantages they highlighted that the One has, you can infer what phone is better.

I've had the phone since Friday and there's really not much that sets it apart from the crowd. It's fast, the touch response is pretty impressive, the camera isn't as bad as some say it is, and battery life is average. The screen is definitely not as good as the One and even the iPhone 5 has better color representation. You really, really overestimate this phone, but we'll just leave it at this; you're not going to agree with me that it's just a good phone, not a great phone. You're not going to agree that the Moto X and HTC One are better devices. So let's just end it there.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to be ordering this phone in the coming weeks, but it sounds like users of this phone are having good quite a few complaints. I know that on forums Complaints get magnified, but I'd really like to know if there are reasons I shouldn't get the phone or what problems it has.

What have you experienced? Have you noticed battery life being better than the nexus 4?

I have not read the entire banter here, I don't know if the battery life is better than the nexus 4, but from what I read it seems to be doing quite well. Many Google+ users posting 18+ hour days on normal use. I get about 10 on heavy and 18+ on light.

As far as the bugs in the AC thread I haven't really experienced many of those. The power button does have a little play but it is a button, a very premium feeling ceramic button.

The screen is drop dead beautiful. I still prefer my note 3 screen for contrast, but the clarity on the nexus 5 and color representation are a home run. Much better than my moto x.

The build on the nexus 5 is also much better than my note 3 and moto x. The moto x has a good display, but nothing like the ISP of the 5. The plastic rim on the moto x around the display is also shiny plastic so beware on the white nexus 5 as it is the same. The moto x has some flawed looking half moon milled improperly around the front facing camera. It is hard to see but when the sun hits it, it is quite annoying. I am comparing the moto and nexus for you because notes and ones are not really part of this class.

I would completely recommend the N5! Battery good, and it is fluid and bug free for me.

One more note, there does need to be a update for the sound profile and I believe Google is on it. Then the speakers being quiet in some apps should go away.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk