Battery Life

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
First day of use (on T-Mo) I got 15 hours of on time where the battery was about 19% at that point. 2.5 hours of screen on time.

I would say that battery life is better than I got with my SGS3 so I am pretty happy w/ the battery life thus far.

Just wanted to post this for folks on the fence about battery life, it really isn't bad at all IMO.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
First day of use (on T-Mo) I got 15 hours of on time where the battery was about 19% at that point. 2.5 hours of screen on time.

I would say that battery life is better than I got with my SGS3 so I am pretty happy w/ the battery life thus far.

Just wanted to post this for folks on the fence about battery life, it really isn't bad at all IMO.
That's good to hear! Battery life will vary based on use and everyone's experience will be different. Whatever the battery life is for me will likely be better than what I'm currently getting with my GS2. I'll know for sure starting tonight when I get the device and put it through it's paces in the coming days.

nicknacknock

May 7, 2013
Visit site
battery life is excellent compared to the N4 I came from. I get a couple more hours of use easily and it also charges way way faster. the extra mAh helps but I think also 4.4 KK is more efficient.

djkleric

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I changed over to the Art run time instead of dalvik and battery life seems a bit better. If you switch just be prepared to wait a bit for the system to make its updates after the reboot.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
2.5 of on screen time and down to 19%? I personally wouldn't like that. By any chance did you do any data intensive activties (e.g. GPS, gaming) for a long periods of time? Just wondering because if it was just surfing the web, facebook, email, texting, just other normal daily activities I would not be happy with that as I easily get 5 hours of on screen time with the G2 doing those things. Just curious.

mandoman28

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I am curious as well, I have a G Pro and get great battery life. What I have been reading about the battery on the Nexus 5 is what is stopping me from using it. I am not a power user but I would like it to last a whole day without worrying about it dying on me.

yancyv8

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
My battery isnt that good....

I unplugged it this morning at 8 and i had it on my car charger for about 4 hours during my work at around 10. (my work consists of driving and delivering cars). I'm in my last class today at FAU from checking facebook hourly at the least, answering texts, and snapchatting all day as well as checking forums and news. I'm at 32% right now and it's 6:30 in SoFlo. After having it charging for so long during the day, I would expect it to be better. This is the third day I've had it too. It's a little bit inconsistent, yesterday was a little bit better but I had it on my car charger for much longer so I guess the general consensus for me is....

Not so good :/

Still wouldn't trade this phone for anything though XD.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
My battery isnt that good....

I unplugged it this morning at 8 and i had it on my car charger for about 4 hours during my work at around 10. (my work consists of driving and delivering cars). I'm in my last class today at FAU from checking facebook hourly at the least, answering texts, and snapchatting all day as well as checking forums and news. I'm at 32% right now and it's 6:30 in SoFlo. After having it charging for so long during the day, I would expect it to be better. This is the third day I've had it too. It's a little bit inconsistent, yesterday was a little bit better but I had it on my car charger for much longer so I guess the general consensus for me is....

Not so good :/

Still wouldn't trade this phone for anything though XD.

Keep the phone on the charger actually is not a good thing for battery, especially for Nexus 5 which doesn't have replaceable battery.

@T-Mobile GN3

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i suffer no hardships doing this -

Battery Tips for Android

1. Toggle off GPS, BT, NFC, Hotspot/Tethering. Toggle on only as needed. (Switch to "Battery Saving" Mode).
2. Display Brightness - Turn off Auto Brightness and Reduce Setting Bar to Minimum Acceptable to you.
3. Sign out of any unused Google Services like G+, Google Now, etc.
4. Disable Location Reporting/History.
5. Beware of constantly syncing in background Apps and Bloatware like Facebook, Twitter, Google News and Weather, Google Currents, Non-Push Email, etc. Set Sync interval for every 1 hour or more and change settings to stop the syncing of data you don't need. Delete the Apps you never use.
6. Turn Off Hot Word "Hotword Detection" Always Listening Mode in Google Search if you don't use it.
7. Turn Off Auto Camera/Photo Upload or at least set it for Upload on WIFI Only.
8. Turn Off Vibrate on Touch for Display, Keyboard, etc.
9. Turn Off Touch Sounds and Unlock Sounds.
10. Don't use Live Wallpaper. Use a dark wallpaper if possible.
11. Set Display Sleep Setting to 2 Minutes or Less.
12. Set WIFI to Always stay on during Sleep if you regularly use WIFI.
13. Uncheck "Always Scanning" in WIFI settings.
14. Turn Off Always Vibrate in Gmail/Email.
15. Be careful of using too many Live Widgets and what/how often they sync.
16. Set MS Exchange Sync at 30 Days or Less.
17. Do NOT use a Task Killer App or Battery Saver App.

"I SUFFER NO HARDSHIPS DOING THIS"

this means that i personally am giving up NOTHING with these tips. i'm not giving up any features. there are no tradeoffs for me. a tradeoff or a hardship would be to turn off PUSH email or use AIRPLANE mode during the day etc.

you find your own balance and the tips list is a start but you must come to your own conclusion as to what's important. it's personal preference but these are not a big deal to me at all as they do not affect the function or operation of my phone. these tips do not deteriorate my experience.

Last edited:

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
My latest cycle:

17.5 hours w/21% remaining
about 4.5% per hour - OK, but could should be better
this includes over 3 hours of screen time, which isn't bad

Performance is improving, but I expect more. We'll see how the next few cycles go.

FWIW, I am using Greenify (requires root).

Sauk

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Look this thing will get you 2 or 3 hours of screen time if you actually use the thing. ie, make phone calls, text, watch videos, etc... If all you do is look at facebook or twitter you will get more time. Most people getting huge screen times don't use their phone.

This thing gets me the same time on as the iPhone 5 I had, which isn't great. I have to have the ability to charge it near the middle to late afternoon time. Thinking of getting a couple wireless chargers, one for home and office I can just place it on while I am working at my desk.

You will need a charger, the phone overall is solid though and I can live with the bad (not so great) battery life.

pespule

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is ridiculously good, or at least mine is. I'm at 2 hour 45 min screen time with 60% left and it's been on for 19 hours.

Sauk

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is ridiculously good, or at least mine is. I'm at 2 hour 45 min screen time with 60% left and it's been on for 19 hours.

Just refer to my post. Again for people with great battery time you are not using the phone. Not trying to be rude, but like I said if you actually use your phone for something besides facebook, you will not get great battery life. It is just not built for it.

gmhotch

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Here's my submission. Much better than my N4...
6ahahyzu.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383871595311.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383871595311.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 124

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Keep the phone on the charger actually is not a good thing for battery, especially for Nexus 5 which doesn't have replaceable battery.

@T-Mobile GN3
Don't believe it...I have kept my phones plugged in all day 12-14 hours and never had one fail only the iphone 3G and i4 degenerated much. That was after 2 years for each. This is going back 1992 when I started using cell phones. Also the ifixit rating for the N5 is 8/10...We will have no trouble replacing the battery.

Keeping a phone plugged in for long periods of time does not count as cycles to the battery its just one cycle for the whole day.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Don't believe it...I have kept my phones plugged in all day 12-14 hours and never had one fail only the iphone 3G and i4 degenerated much. That was after 2 years for each. This is going back 1992 when I started using cell phones. Also the ifixit rating for the N5 is 8/10...We will have no trouble replacing the battery.

Keeping a phone plugged in for long periods of time does not count as cycles to the battery its just one cycle for the whole day.

Sure, go ahead against science based on your feeling, nobody gonna stop you.

@T-Mobile GN3

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Sure, go ahead against science based on your feeling, nobody gonna stop you.

@T-Mobile GN3
Yeah I have had lots of folks tell me things in the last 50 years...I believe what I see and have seen from others. With Li ion batteries it barely makes a difference how you charge them the science says they have no memory...they are not Ni cads . Hey if you have 22 years of eye on experience with phone batteries as I have after a while you stop listening to what So called "experts" say and believe your own eyes. Its got nothing to do with feelings its what I have seen you can quote someone else's findings all you want.

Standard Charging
Most lithium-ion polymer batteries use a fast charge to charge your device to 80% battery capacity, then switch to trickle charging. That?s about two hours of charge time to power an iPod to 80% capacity, then another two hours to fully charge it, if you are not using the iPod while charging. You can charge all lithium-ion batteries a large but finite number of times, as defined by charge cycle.

Charge Cycle. Using and recharging 100% of battery capacity equals one full charge cycle.
A charge cycle means using all of the battery?s power, but that doesn?t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle. Each time you complete a charge cycle, it diminishes battery capacity slightly, but you can put notebook, iPod, and iPhone batteries through many charge cycles before they will only hold 80% of original battery capacity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress