[SOLVED] How do I add custom ringtones?

editorkid

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I've copied the MP3 ringtones that I used on my Galaxy Nexus to the N5 /sdcard/Ringtones directory (days ago, with a couple of reboots since) and they aren't showing up in the Set Ringtone pick list. I also tried using ogg versions of the files with no luck.

Has anything changed? It's very hard to imagine that my N5 is unique. I emailed Jerry to suggest this as a new question for his great N5 FAQ that was just posted; he replied that it should work, but I don't know if he actually tried.

The steps I followed were to save the MP3s and oggs to Dropbox, copy them using ES File Commander or Total Commander, and paste to /sdcard/Ringtones. If any volunteers could either duplicate those steps and confirm that the files then show up in the Set Ringtone pick list or steer me to a procedure that will work, I'd sure appreciate it. Not a fan of the mellow, bland default ringtones. I've already gotten a "Should work" and I know it *used* to work. Need a "This is what works." Thanks!

Last edited:

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: How do I add custom ringtones?

There is an easier way; double twist.

I have been looking at how to do this as well since I have some cool ones on my iPhone that I want to move over (JARVIS from Iron Man) and what I was reading is that Double Twist is easy peasy. They are currently updating their build for Kit Kat so should be up in a few days.

Double Twist

editorkid

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

There is an easier way; double twist.

I have been looking at how to do this as well since I have some cool ones on my iPhone that I want to move over (JARVIS from Iron Man) and what I was reading is that Double Twist is easy peasy. They are currently updating their build for Kit Kat so should be up in a few days.

Double Twist
I'll add that to the "Should work" list and watch for the update. Thanks. (But copy and paste isn't at all hard, and it worked before.)

Also, Jerry emailed back to mention that he "added [his] using a computer." So maybe there's some bug using an Android file manager that doesn't occur via USB. I'll try it and report back if it works.

editorkid

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

USB transfer works. I'll report the bug that file managers no longer work to Google, since it worked fine on the GNex with Jelly Bean. Thanks to Jerry for the thought.

derwin

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

one thing that always worked for me (on Galaxy Nexus and my new Nexus 5) is to install ES File Explorer. when you go to an app or into the Settings to pick a ringtone, it'll actually give you a choice on what to use to pick your ringtone. if you choose ES File Explorer, you can navigate directly to your sound file, MP3, WAV, etc., no matter where you've placed it.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

I couldn't hear any of the Nexus 5 ringtones or notifications. Friend told me about how good Zedge was that is free. Just open the App pick Ring Tone or Notification and find the one you like then his Set and assign to a person or the default. Simple as eating pie.

Zedge

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch