Google Nexus 5 - auto rotate not working

GearJ2o

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Are you talking about the widget? It doesnt work for me either. I have to manually go to the setting, then display and toggle the auto-rotation option.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
No like it doesn't work at all. I figured out the accelerometer is borked. Shows no movement on one axis so it never knows I'm trying to go landscape. RMA. :-(

Posted via Android Central App

anon(28946)

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
same here, it works after a reboot, but I had 2 occasions now, where the screen just would not rotate anymore, also tried to use the accelerometer elsewhere and it did not work without a reboot...

edwards653

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Mines the same, works okay after a reboot for a while then accelerometer doesn't work? Are Google aware of this I wonder? Hope its a software fix!

mikewb

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Same situation with my Nexus 5. After a day or so of use, the screen will no longer rotate. It works fine after a power cycle.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm very suspicious and inclined to believe that there is an app compatibility issue involved here. Suggest you check the feedback for any motion sensing games you may have installed.

michael73072

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Uninstalling pressureNET fixed it for me. I believe any third party app that uses the barometer breaks the accelerometer, which then requires a power cycle.

medavamsee

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Iam also facing same prblm tried many times rebooting the device still it's not working. uninstalled motion sensor games. someone has any solution for this probem.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
In the dark it sometimes doesn't work for me until I realize I'm holding the phone upside down. Think it's going to take awhile before I'm used to the Nexus's symmetry.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

keenanakehurst

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I've just bought my nexus 5 (like the start of January) and I'm experiencing this issue. In any app like the browser, YouTube, anything, it just doesn't rotate at all. The only thing is, it stopped working, and then after a few resets it started working again. And now, you've guessed it. It stopped. Any ideas what all this is about or should get a replacement.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If you use any barometer apps to read the information off the barometer chip, it will cause rotation to no longer work. It's a known bug for a long time.

Brian Mantel

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here. I think I have narrowed it down to the "Snowfall Free" active wallpaper. Maybe it uses accelerometer or barometer? I'm not certain, but I couldn't get my accelerometers to work until I rebooted. This time, I tried changing wallpapers and instantly, the accelerometers started working again. Anyone else using an active wallpaper where changing it to a non-active makes the accelerometers start working?

AstroDoge

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I heard giving the phone a good strong whack work, but probably don't take my advice seriously.

Got freaked out because the Nexus 5 I have is like the 4th RMA. Tried out your "give it a few whacks" idea and it worked. Thanks.

BTW: Slap the phone on your hand. DO NOT throw it to the ground.

gurudev b s

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I dropped my nexus 5 few days back from a decent height by accident since then or probably from few days my auto rotate is not working...am really worried
Please help me out!
Thanks

Johnwinchell86

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Can't get it to work. Restarted and toggled it on and off many times. Doesn't work in any app.

Posted via Android Central App

I literally fixed this problem with a couple hard smacks to the back of the phone. I have run accelerometer tests and it showed up down working but not side to side. Working great now.