Google Nexus 5 - Swipe Up From Home Button to Lock Screen -- Sharing what I discovered...

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The same gesture that you do to get to Google Now can be changed to turning the device/screen off.

Just install this free app called "Screen Off And Lock": https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.katecca.screenofflock&hl=en&token=Dea54HQc

Then swipe up from Home (like you would to get to Google Now) and it'll ask you to set a new default:

18kIPGx.jpg

Grant it permissions, and now, every time you swipe up from Home, you can lock your screen/device from anywhere! Great for those who don't want to overuse the power button, and for those who obviously don't use Google Now like that.

To get rid of it, just go to "Screen Off and Lock" app in your App settings and Clear Defaults (or just uninstall the app).

Just thought I'd share.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I will definitely use this app. I am using samsung grand, can I install this app?

Not sure, but try this app: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....matthewma.swipehomebuttonfree&token=bTC5pvpH

Swipe Home. I was using it on my HTC One. Great app. 7 day free trial, 99 cents after that.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for this I am using it now on my nexus 5

You're welcome. I think it really changes the way one uses the Nexus 5. I love being able to turn off the screen from anywhere at anytime.

Ice_Cold_Q

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Just tried it out, its damnn nice, thanks onthecouchagain.............now, only if there was a way to unlock the device without touching the power button....

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Just tried it out, its damnn nice, thanks onthecouchagain.............now, only if there was a way to unlock the device without touching the power button....

Ha, that would be great. I do dig LG G2's "knock" (or really "double tap") feature to wake the device. Alas, nothing like that -- that I know of -- available for Android.

Ice_Cold_Q

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Ha, that would be great. I do dig LG G2's "knock" (or really "double tap") feature to wake the device. Alas, nothing like that -- that I know of -- available for Android.

Yeahh, before the N5 was released i was anticipating the knock feature to be on it, its sucha cool feature

Posted via The one, The only, The Nexus 5

Major Problem

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, Couch!
With the Nexus 5 and 4.4 I really don't need 2 ways to get to Google now anyway, and of course, less wear and tear on the power button.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, Couch!
With the Nexus 5 and 4.4 I really don't need 2 ways to get to Google now anyway, and of course, less wear and tear on the power button.

Agreed. Plus, it's just so nice to sleep your device anytime anywhere. No need to reach for the button since your thumbs are almost always floating around the screen. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wongcheng