Wireless charging notification tone - Rules?

ronschaeffer

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is the first phone I've used regularly with wireless charging. I have two different model wireless chargers, one at work and one at home. With both, the notification tone only plays sometimes when the phone is placed on the charger, even though it starts charging successfully and the phone is not on silent. The notification appears to be unrelated to whether the display is on or off, or any other possible related behaviors.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Are there rules as to when the tone plays that I'm unaware of?

Thanks.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is the first phone I've used regularly with wireless charging. I have two different model wireless chargers, one at work and one at home. With both, the notification tone only plays sometimes when the phone is placed on the charger, even though it starts charging successfully and the phone is not on silent. The notification appears to be unrelated to whether the display is on or off, or any other possible related behaviors.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Are there rules as to when the tone plays that I'm unaware of?

Thanks.

I use a couple of different wireless chargers and if the volume is on the phone always makes a quick tone sound and the screen lights up when I set my Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 on the wireless charger... No clue why yours would not do it from time to time... I am using the Nexus 4 wireless charging Orb and the TYLT Vu wireless charger.....

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Same behavior. Sometimes, it didn't sound. Sometime it did. I think if your phone is screen unlocked and display on, it will sound the notification most of the time.

wx27

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I think the tone is triggered only when the battery is below a certain percentage.
I added a Tasker task to give me an audible alert whenever the phone starts charging, so that goes off 100% of the time.

ronschaeffer

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. At least I know that I'm not going crazy.

The battery percentage theory sounds plausible. I'll watch for that. I've just been trying it with a nearly full battery, and it is consistently NOT sounding the tone.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the tone is triggered only when the battery is below a certain percentage.
I added a Tasker task to give me an audible alert whenever the phone starts charging, so that goes off 100% of the time.

I dunno.... I have a wireless charger at my desk at work and I set it down on there all the time... It can be at 80% or 10% and mine makes the same tone sound when I set it down to charge.... Only time it doesn't is when the phone is either in silent or vibrate mode.... but at the same time I do not check the battery % every time I set my Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 down for a top off or full charge so maybe... I'll have to drain my batter down and check it low and then plug it up when it's up higher....

wx27

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
After testing a bunch today, I have found that my phone will make the wireless charging noise if the battery level is under 95%. At 95-100%, it starts charging without making the notification sound.

This makes sense in that the wireless charger will stop charging once the phone hits 99-100%, and then tops off periodically, in which case you probably don't want it making yet another noise.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
After testing a bunch today, I have found that my phone will make the wireless charging noise if the battery level is under 95%. At 95-100%, it starts charging without making the notification sound.

This makes sense in that the wireless charger will stop charging once the phone hits 99-100%, and then tops off periodically, in which case you probably don't want it making yet another noise.

+1 in my Nexus 5.

Sent from my bada$$ Nexus 5

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

+2 this seems to be the case with the testing I did with mine....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty