Does the screen scratch?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
reputation is easy to keep if consumers know nothing about the science behind mohs scale hardness.

Well I've certainly never been under the impression that screens or SP's were scratchproof!

Here's a little information I found in pursuit of my own ongoing self-education - perhaps you can provide more insight:

Gorilla Glass (original)
Vickers Hardness (200g load)
Un-strengthened 622 kgf/mm?​
Strengthened 701 kgf/mm?​

Gorilla Glass 3
Un-strengthened 534 kgf/mm?​
Strengthened 649 kgf/mm?​

Evidently there are different methodologies by which 'hardness' can be calculated, as it is possible for two items with a higher hardness rating on Moh's scale to be rated in opposite relative hardness on Vickers scale (source). As best I can tell, the Vickers scale demonstrates resistance to fracture (note that GG3 is less resistant than original GG); I'm not knowledgeable enough to review those white papers to determin which data (if any) might lead to a Moh's scale rating to gauge actual scratch resistance. Given that (from general web search) most steels are harder than 5 on Mohs scale, it seems safe to say that GG3 would merit at least a higher rating than that, since steel knives to do not leave scratches.

General searches report tempered glass to typically range from 6-7 on Moh's scale, so it doesn't seem to be too hard a leap to expect Corning to have reached / extended beyond the upper end of that estimate.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Gorilla Glass (original)
Un-strengthened 622 kgf/mm?​
Strengthened 701 kgf/mm?​

Gorilla Glass 3
Un-strengthened 534 kgf/mm?​
Strengthened 649 kgf/mm?​
Good you are doing the digging! I have taught mineralogy so I know a thing or two on the Mohs hardness.

The key is the unit, 649kgf/mm2 says it can take 649 kg of force per square mm before the crystal breaks (which result in crack or scratch).

Now, the smaller the grain, the less the contact area will be. Applying the same force on a smaller contact area, will give much higher kgf/mm2 number. Sand grains usually range from 0.05 to 1 mm in diameter. With the fine sand at 0.05mm, the contact area would be 0.05*0.05=0.0025mm2, it can scratch the GG when you apply a force of 649*.0025=1.6kg, or about 3.5 lbs. Notice, however, a screen protector, even though may not be hard enough to resist scratch, its shear thickness makes sure the fine grain sands won't even penetrate it and reach the surface.

The number for GG3 is very normal for a relatively pure quartz glass, it really is not that much "better". As many has witnessed, tiny sands are perfect for scratching it. Most sand are either quartz, or feldspar, both has comparable hardness of 5-7, at small grain size, they can easily leave some marks on a GG screen.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I do believe scratch and impact are two different thing. The mechanism, momentum, contact area are all different. This thread, I think, is about "scratch". A dropping ball doesn't "scratch", it "smashes".

If you watched to video it showed how GG3 with a scratch applied to the screen survived a major impact directly to the scratch on the GG3. Scratches does weaken the glass that increases the chance of it shattering the glass on impact. Maybe someone else that never taught mineralogy like you might have cared about that fact that a minor scratch on GG3 still has a very good chance of surviving a impact with out shattering the screen.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
If you watched to video it showed how GG3 with a scratch applied to the screen survived a major impact directly to the scratch on the GG3. Scratches does weaken the glass that increases the chance of it shattering the glass on impact. Maybe someone else that never taught mineralogy like you might have cared about that fact that a minor scratch on GG3 still has a very good chance of surviving a impact with out shattering the screen.

if you believe you are on topic, go ahead.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a bunch of tiny scratches on the right side of my screen. No idea how they got there as my usage is similar to yours, digink#AC.

I did order a pack of Spigen screen protectors from Amazon that should arrive tomorrow. I haven't had a screen protector, or a scratch, on a phone screen for years. We'll see how they do but I have a feeling that I will not like having a protector.

Generally speaking, I hate screen protectors. I bought a used N4 after my mint one was stolen and it ended up having a few tiny knicks that you could only see with the screen off and in the correct light, but it still drove me nuts. Yep, OCD. It doesn't matter how careful you are, all it takes is anything harder than glass like a tiny grain of sand and a bit of pressure and you're screwed. Found that out the hard way after using my old gnex to take some pics at the shore (kept it in a fleece bag...must've gotten "lucky" on other devices I've owned). So I was planning on ordering a Spiegen glass protector but the early reviews were terrible. So I decided I'd just try the one that came with my Spiegen Hybrid case (also very nice btw) and it's great! I really wouldn't notice it's there at all. Looks great and maybe more importantly (to me) it feels great too. So, I think you'll be happy. That said, I may pick up one of these Nillkin glass protectors...sounds great for $14. You can always change a beat up protector, not so easily with a screen lol.

MOQ 1PC NILLKIN Amazing H+ Nanometer Anti Explosion Tempered Glass Screen Protector Film For LG nexus 5 E980 + free shipping-in Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

Tatzuk

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a few quite light scratches on my screen now in a small bunch, after a 2 weeks use. Not really bad, but I can still sometimes see them even when the screen is on. And I like to keep my screen on low brightness. I'm using a Tridea flip case and I guess that helps, but if dirt gets between the screen and the cover it's only gonna make things worse. And my bus card in the cover could also be the cause. I'm very, very OCD about these things.

nickf126

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
christmas-story-snow-suit.jpg

I have never used a screen protector on any phone that I have owned, going back to the treo 600. I don't use cases either. I do not know if I am just lucky or what, but I have never had a scratch that I can see on any of my phones. IMHO it is just a phone made a certain way for your enjoyment. Why cover it up so it looks like Ralphie's brother in a Christmas Story

thetonyclifton

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Any screen can scratch, they are getting better at making screens less prone to scratching but things like grit, sand, stone, heavy dirt can scratch your screen, especially if its is in contact for a while like in a pocket, bag or in between a phone and its case.

I always use a screen protector, buy the right brand and they are so good they are unnoticeable, this is just for piece of mind and I like the screen to be immaculate to sell on. As for a back case I bounce in and out of, like I say if you dont clean out the case regularly it can actually scratch up under the case worse than no case at all, but then you do get a level of drop protection. I am pretty careful with my phones and have still dropped them all at least a couple of times from various heights (mostly from my lap or waste height)...I think a screen protector is a must and a bigger case is personal preference or situational.

illbeatkids

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
It definitely is resisting scratches better than any of my previous devices I plan on getting a case soon though to help keep it that way even though out of every device I have had prior it is hands down my favorite looking and has a very clean and sexy form factor and is great caseless.. I can't afford to replace it after it falls into a glass of water though like my last iPhone did lolol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
i got my nexus 5 six months before and i never used any sort of protection such as screen guard or covers. I have tried to scratch the screen using sharp objects and looks like it doesn't get scratched using sharp objects. But i did notice two minor scratches dont know how they happened over time. So those who are going to buy nexus 5 do put screen guard. There is no need to use cover because i have dropped it once and nothing happened may be i was lucky. Next nexus i am buying i will put screen guard because i dont like the screen to look scratched even though it is not evident. Also i lost the glossy letters on the back. Only n and e remains glossy on the back panel. So those who are worried about that should put a cover.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
i got my nexus 5 six months before and i never used any sort of protection such as screen guard or covers. I have tried to scratch the screen using sharp objects and looks like it doesn't get scratched using sharp objects.

5 month old thread resuscitated... :-\

Been said before, been said since - the song remains the same. "Hard" scratches. That something being sharp will scratch regardless of hardness is a common, but flawed, perception.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall