Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
12-04-2013 02:43 PM
49 replies
Like Tree19Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Nexus 5 speaker

    Is it really bad? I do not use to pump up disco music, I just want to hear incoming calls, SMS and emails, and listen to YouTube videos.
    Opinions are splitted. What about your Nexus?
  2. #2  
    Haalcyon's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    7,920 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,821 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    The Nexus 5's speaker (at least the one in the unit I auditioned) is more than adequate for your stated uses, IMO.
    AndroidDario likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    The Nexus 5's speaker is terrible. That's the first thing I noticed about my Nexus 5. When I hold my N5 up to watch a video, my thumb blocks the speaker, and the sound is completely muted. What's worse is that even though there are two speaker grills, the sound only comes out of the left grill. The right speaker grill is just for show. Kind of stupid IMO.

    The volume is also weak.
  4. #4  
    Haalcyon's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    7,920 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,821 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    The Nexus 5's speaker is terrible. That's the first thing I noticed about my Nexus 5. When I hold my N5 up to watch a video, my thumb blocks the speaker, and the sound is completely muted. What's worse is that even though there are two speaker grills, the sound only comes out of the left grill. The right speaker grill is just for show. Kind of stupid IMO.

    The volume is also weak.
    We've had very different experiences with the Nexus 5s we've used, you and I.
    benhmadison likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    LoL, no its a piece of sh#t. Hardware or software is hard to tell but in its current state, it sucks!

    Posted by Nexus 5 and the Android Central App
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by aco905 View Post
    LoL, no its a piece of sh#t. Hardware or software is hard to tell but in its current state, it sucks!

    Posted by Nexus 5 and the Android Central App
    Oh good. I'm glad to hear this because i'd hate to have to replace my home stereo system with a smartphone.
    Shilohcane and mrsmumbles like this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    We've had very different experiences with the Nexus 5s we've used, you and I.
    Just do a quick test for me and you can confirm how much the speaker sucks.

    Play a song and press your thumb over the right speaker grill. Notice how the sound is barely muted?

    Now do the same with the left speaker grill, and notice how the sound is almost muted now.

    It's astonishing how bad the speaker is.
  8. #8  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    Let me get this straight. If you put your thumb over the speaker, the volume goes down?

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    Just do a quick test for me and you can confirm how much the speaker sucks.

    Play a song and press your thumb over the right speaker grill. Notice how the sound is barely muted?

    Now do the same with the left speaker grill, and notice how the sound is almost muted now.

    It's astonishing how bad the speaker is.
    That would be because if you cover the right speaker grill, you're just covering the mic. The speaker is on the left. And every speaker i've ever seen in my whole entire life gets quieter when covered.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    This is the one major downside with my N5...just picked up a Moto G and the speaker audio/quality is better...I really hope software update can fix if not this will be my last Nexus device...too me it is like putting a crappy stereo in a high end Benz
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    Just do a quick test for me and you can confirm how much the speaker sucks.

    Play a song and press your thumb over the right speaker grill. Notice how the sound is barely muted?

    Now do the same with the left speaker grill, and notice how the sound is almost muted now.

    It's astonishing how bad the speaker is.
    One side is a Mic and the other side is a Mono speaker. Why would anyone listen to music without Stereo headphones, bluetooth speakers or use it over the bluetooth in your car? It is plenty loud for speaker phone, ring tones and notifications. I laugh every time I see that HTC commercial at the car wash that gives up screen space to put in big boom speakers which I would never use.

    Now some of the early N5 had too much glue in the speaker holes you can see with a very bright flashlight and can have those bad speakers RMA to Google.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    Why would anyone listen to music without Stereo headphones, bluetooth speakers or use it over the bluetooth in your car? It is plenty loud for speaker phone, ring tones and notifications. I laugh every time I see that HTC commercial at the car wash that gives up screen space to put in big boom speakers which I would never use.
    I do, because my car bluetooth doesn't work with media streaming, and my ear hurts with 1 or 2 hour of music through earphone.

    I don't think I am the only one...
  13. #13  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I do, because my car bluetooth doesn't work with media streaming, and my ear hurts with 1 or 2 hour of music through earphone.

    I don't think I am the only one...
    I hear ya. My truck doesn't Bluetooth stream either, so I ended up getting a Bluetooth speaker (Monster) and use it in the truck when driving, and take it with me on travels. I have to wear earplugs on the job all day, so the last thing I want to do is wear headphones when off work!

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Shilohcane likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwaron View Post
    I hear ya. My truck doesn't Bluetooth stream either, so I ended up getting a Bluetooth speaker (Monster) and use it in the truck when driving, and take it with me on travels. I have to wear earplugs on the job all day, so the last thing I want to do is wear headphones when off work!

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I agree there isn't one phone stereo internal speaker that is worth hearing driving in a car. HTC acts like their phone will replace your home stereo but it is still weak sound quality for music. All phones are very bad playing music over their internal speakers. All the Bluetooth to FM radio unit converters to add BT to your vehicle's radio has weak FM signal due to FCC restrictions on power. The Bluetooth boom box is the only real solution to hear phones music without headphones. This one is $90 and goes for 10 hours.

    The Best Portable Bluetooth Speaker | The Wirecutter
    mrsmumbles likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    The HTC One has great speakers and the volume level is exceptional.

    I agree with others, Nexus 5 speaker is weak.

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. #16  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Superevangelist12 View Post
    The HTC One has great speakers and the volume level is exceptional.

    I agree with others, Nexus 5 speaker is weak.

    Posted via Android Central App
    That is the main selling point of that phone.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Superevangelist12 View Post
    The HTC One has great speakers and the volume level is exceptional.

    I agree with others, Nexus 5 speaker is weak.

    Posted via Android Central App
    For a phone the HTC One has great sound at the cost of the size of the smaller screen size of 4.7". The HTC One is about the same physical size ( 137.40 x 68.2 x 9.3mm) as the Nexus 5 (137.84 x 69.17 x 8.59mm) with a large 4.95" screen . Sure don't think the HTC one is better sound that a good bluetooth speaker that you could buy with the Nexus 5 ($349) and still have spend a lot less money for a phone that has a bigger screen and better speakers with the portable bluetooth speakers.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    One side is a Mic and the other side is a Mono speaker. Why would anyone listen to music without Stereo headphones, bluetooth speakers or use it over the bluetooth in your car? It is plenty loud for speaker phone, ring tones and notifications. I laugh every time I see that HTC commercial at the car wash that gives up screen space to put in big boom speakers which I would never use.

    Now some of the early N5 had too much glue in the speaker holes you can see with a very bright flashlight and can have those bad speakers RMA to Google.
    Because there are people all over like myself that listen to music and YouTube videos all the time without headphones or blue tooth. The HTC One speakers are definitely the best, the ones on the X are good too, I can't speak about the Nexus 5 though

    Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    He wasn't saying if you cover the speaker it gets lower, you guys might not know how to read he was just saying cover one side because the speakers aren't as loud as each other, he wasn't aware that there's only one speaker the others a microphone

    Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    The speaker, while not great, is more than adequate and much improved over the n4.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by DS1331 View Post
    Because there are people all over like myself that listen to music and YouTube videos all the time without headphones or blue tooth. The HTC One speakers are definitely the best, the ones on the X are good too, I can't speak about the Nexus 5 though

    Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X
    So does it bug you that the HTC One screen is only 4.7" that is smaller than the Nexus 5's 4.95" screen when the phones are almost the same physical size? Those HTC speakers take a lot of screen size away from the phone.

    I may use the phone's internal speaker for YouTube but the speakers on the Nexus 5 is ok for that function. I have heard a HTC One a few times and if I am going to listen to music it just isn't near as good as my LG Tone+ HBS-730 Bluetooth Headset for music. I'm not giving up that much screen to put in some speakers for YouTube. Also, I would get tossed out of the gym if I was blasting music through a speaker phone.

    I use the screen every time I pick up the phone and music is either over my car's bluetooth or the LG HBS-730 Bluetooth Headset for music when I work out.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    I guess people in this thread are the type of people who blast music on public transportation. Seriously though, the speakers are bad, i admit that. But are you REALLY looking to blast music or a youtube video everywhere you go? For the couple of people above me that are saying their car doesn't have bluetooth connectivity, what kind of phone are you thinking of that would actually blast music enough to fill the cabin of your car and not sound distorted or muffled by the wind, tires rolling and engine revving?
    mrsmumbles and Shilohcane like this.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    Now some of the early N5 had too much glue in the speaker holes you can see with a very bright flashlight and can have those bad speakers RMA to Google.
    Is glue the real problem?!
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    Speaker is bad. Volume is pretty low, gets distorted when close to maximum value, and sounds flat. Try to play classical music on it and you will see what I mean. Snap, crackle, and pop.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by whatsitsname View Post
    Speaker is bad. Volume is pretty low, gets distorted when close to maximum value, and sounds flat. Try to play classical music on it and you will see what I mean. Snap, crackle, and pop.
    But classical music sounds bad on any hand held small radio, no matter how big the speaker is.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Nexus 7 screen replacement. Backlights on but no picture.
    By dagwooddog in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-02-2014, 08:15 AM
  2. How to get LTE on my Nexus 4?
    By misterno123 in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-08-2013, 04:01 PM
  3. How can I tell if a 2013 Nexus 7 is a refurbished unit?
    By ahsanaliraza in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-07-2013, 03:32 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-05-2013, 04:23 PM
  5. Nexus 5 or...
    By AndroidDario in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-04-2013, 02:55 PM

Posting Permissions