Question S23+ Hearing Aid Sound and Microphone

melissaaz

Dec 23, 2023
Visit site
I've been using Philips with my S23 plus for months. The last two "security updates" to 6.0 have interfered with the effectiveness of Bluetooth. Since the last update this week (I'm on Verizon), incoming calls connect and after about 5 seconds, the caller can no longer hear me and I have to switch to speaker phone, rendering my hearing aides off. Always after less than 5 seconds and incoming calls. Other times I have noticed the bluetooth just quit providing sound to the hearing aids. It doesn't bounce the sound back into the phone. The hearing aids don't hear the sound the the phone doesn't play it either. I have to stop and start Bluetooth to get it to work again. This occurs with videos. I haven't seen it occur with phone calls incoming/outgoing. REALLY ANNOYING for people with profound hearing loss. I will not switch to iPhone, but the problems with Android keep getting more annoying. Why can't it be addressed?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!
In a situation like yours, I would go with whatever worked the best, regardless if it's an Android or iPhone. Being able to communicate effectively is more important than the brand of phone you use 😉

Reactions: Laura Knotek

melissaaz

Dec 23, 2023
Visit site
Switching phones isn't an option, and certainly not hearing aides at 4k. Android needs to fix the bug they introduced this month. It isn't the hearing audio app. It is the Android handling of Bluetooth and microphone.

Reactions: J Dubbs

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Since the last update this week (I'm on Verizon), incoming calls connect and after about 5 seconds, the caller can no longer hear me and I have to switch to speaker phone, rendering my hearing aides off. Always after less than 5 seconds and incoming calls.
&
I haven't seen it occur with phone calls incoming/outgoing.

To troubleshoot your problem, do you have another Bluetooth audio device to see if it occurs?
Do you have another phone to see if your hearing aids will work with another phone?
Can you clarify your statement quoted above?

melissaaz

Dec 23, 2023
Visit site
To troubleshoot your problem, do you have another Bluetooth audio device to see if it occurs?
Do you have another phone to see if your hearing aids will work with another phone?
Can you clarify your statement quoted above?
Yes. Other Bluetooth devices work. The problem is consistent with incoming calls. I can test a set of Sony tomorrow and have someone call me. Of course I can't wear the Sony all day... I need the hearing aides in my ears. The stupid Sony fall out too.

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Will do. Again. I've done it a few times.....
I have a S22U and use Oticon hearing aids. Connectivity is a challenge sometimes, though mostly with streaming. On calls though, I'm usually good. My biggest complaint is that you can't wander too far from the phone, because the microphone for the call is the phone, not the aid. These things are definitely not earbuds.

Additionally, at max volume on a call, I still can't be in a moderately noisy room and hear the call. I have to go to speaker. If I know I'm going to be on a long call, I put in an earbud.

I did not experience any deterioration in BT with my aids after One UI 6. It just isn't great and I don't expect them to be great. My understanding is that Apple uses a different protocol for BT that allows superior connectivity with hearing aids.

I feel your pain. It stinks.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I also have a Samsung S22 Ultra. I have Starkey Genesis AI hearing aids. I haven't experienced any problems with calls or streaming through my hearing aids. Actually, I have to use the lowest volume to stream YouTube, or else I'd be blasted like a . LOL. The upgrade to Android 14/ OneUI 6 hasn't made any difference for me. When I do phone calls, both the mic and the speaker are through the hearing aids, not the phone speaker/mic. Nobody has ever complained about not hearing me. When I drive, the Bluetooth automatically switches from playing through the hearing aids to playing through the car speakers for streaming audio. Phone calls in the car also use the car speakers/mic.

melissaaz

Dec 23, 2023
Visit site
I also have a Samsung S22 Ultra. I have Starkey Genesis AI hearing aids. I haven't experienced any problems with calls or streaming through my hearing aids. Actually, I have to use the lowest volume to stream YouTube, or else I'd be blasted like a . LOL. The upgrade to Android 14/ OneUI 6 hasn't made any difference for me. When I do phone calls, both the mic and the speaker are through the hearing aids, not the phone speaker/mic. Nobody has ever complained about not hearing me. When I drive, the Bluetooth automatically switches from playing through the hearing aids to playing through the car speakers for streaming audio. Phone calls in the car also use the car speakers/mic.
I have Philips and it is supposed to use the Hearlink 2 app to adjust sound for different situations, but I gave up launching it months ago. The app never connects to my hearing aides.
I haven't connected them to my truck because the Bluetooth connected to my phone is awesome and I just turn sound up on the truck.
YES!! It is frustrating to have to keep the phone near for phone calls. The trouble I have now seems to be only incoming. I say hello and hear them, but after we exchange any other sentence, they no longer hear me and I have to activate the speaker.
The incoming trouble started after the update on Dec 19. The Bluetooth sound drop-off in videos with the Nov 30 update.
I have not looked to see if i could restore to before these updates... I want my phone to be up to date. I just need developers to look for the trouble.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231223_205603_Software update.jpg
    Screenshot_20231223_205603_Software update.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 4

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I have Philips and it is supposed to use the Hearlink 2 app to adjust sound for different situations, but I gave up launching it months ago. The app never connects to my hearing aides.
I haven't connected them to my truck because the Bluetooth connected to my phone is awesome and I just turn sound up on the truck.
YES!! It is frustrating to have to keep the phone near for phone calls. The trouble I have now seems to be only incoming. I say hello and hear them, but after we exchange any other sentence, they no longer hear me and I have to activate the speaker.
The incoming trouble started after the update on Dec 19. The Bluetooth sound drop-off in videos with the Nov 30 update.
I have not looked to see if i could restore to before these updates... I want my phone to be up to date. I just need developers to look for the trouble.
Which exact model do you have? What technology level? For example, 9030,9040 or something else?

Reactions: mustang7757

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
yep, Oticon makes great hearing aids 😉
(so very jealous, Laura lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: Laura Knotek

melissaaz

Dec 23, 2023
Visit site
Which exact model do you have? What technology level? For example, 9030,9040 or something else?
I have the 9040. I waited a few days to respond because I had a few phone calls where the hearing aides stayed connected on incoming calls. I tried having an app open that required sound, like youtube or rumble or the candycrashsaga app. I suspect if the phone is having sound on, or available when a call comes in, the hearing aides stay connected. BUT.... I didn't get consistent data with having people call me. Then they didn't want to help anymore. :-(