What was your previous phone? Do you like the Nexus 5 more or less? Why?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: What was your previous phone? Do you like the N5 more or less? Why?

A friendly reminder is far different than following people around and bringing it up over and over and over (harrasment). Especially when you haven't owned the device. You take every website as gospel truth but you feel like people who have actually owned the device and are speaking from firsthand experience are liars. I have NOTHING to gain from lying about the S3. And most people here are not looking to buy an S3, so me saying I had terrible battery life probably wont sway anyone away from buying it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Today I have my S3 at work. At 10, I put it on the charger because it was down to 43%. It had less than an hour of screen on time and I had not done any downloading of any sort. I had about 8 minutes of voice calls and sent probably 50 hangouts messages. No web browsing, and it was at 100% when I took it off my charger at 6:15 this morning. So in 4 hours with VERY MINIMAL usage it was down almost 60%. I am SO happy for GSM Arena that they got these results. I never have. With either of my GS3's that i've owned.

Contaminating a thread would be to make false claims to deceive, OR to harrass someone no matter what they say. I haven't made a false claim regarding my S3. I have however, been harrassed today by you and I would kindly ask you to stop following me around and internet stalking me. If you want to send me a private message, please feel free to do so. But there's no reason to destroy each thread on this forum by making claims about a device that you've never owned or even used extensively, to try to and sway people from buying a device you've also never owned.

The GS3 is an older phone...yet still a fine device. There's a lot of 3rd party battery options for it though so if the OEM battery isn't cutting it for you there are options for larger capacity batteries.

n7 LTE

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site

Contaminating a thread would be to make false claims to deceive, OR to harrass someone no matter what they say. I haven't made a false claim regarding my S3. I have however, been harrassed today by you and I would kindly ask you to stop following me around and internet stalking me. If you want to send me a private message, please feel free to do so. But there's no reason to destroy each thread on this forum by making claims about a device that you've never owned or even used extensively, to try to and sway people from buying a device you've also never owned.

..... rustle ...... rustle. ....

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[6]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

..... rustle ...... rustle. ....

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[6]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
indeed upsetting, you make a great example :)

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

The GS3 is an older phone...yet still a fine device. There's a lot of 3rd party battery options for it though so if the OEM battery isn't cutting it for you there are options for larger capacity batteries.

n7 LTE

The S3 is indeed a very capable and fine device. No doubt about it. The battery for me however, has never been impressive. And I can't enjoy those third party options because I have to use the Zens wireless charging back cover because my USB port started malfunctioning back in July. I even had the Mophie Juice Pack to try and make it more capable-battery wise but the usb port issue made the use of the juice pack impossible.

I'd actually be using my S3 for at least another year if it wasn't for these problems. Which is why I decided to go with the N5 because I had to buy off contract.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

The S3 is indeed a very capable and fine device. No doubt about it. The battery for me however, has never been impressive. And I can't enjoy those third party options because I have to use the Zens wireless charging back cover because my USB port started malfunctioning back in July. I even had the Mophie Juice Pack to try and make it more capable-battery wise but the usb port issue made the use of the juice pack impossible.

I'd actually be using my S3 for at least another year if it wasn't for these problems. Which is why I decided to go with the N5 because I had to buy off contract.

Well, you upgraded many times over. Congrats on the Nexus 5. A dose of NexusCillin is rarely a bad thing.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

I came to the Nexus 5 (black, 32 GB ) from a Nexus 4 (black, 8 GB ). The reason I got the 32 GB version, though, is that at the time I ordered, it had the fastest estimated shipping date.

The upgrade was well worth it. The screen is amazing, the camera is better, and the GEL is blissful. I love the feel of it in my hand, and thoroughly enjoy not having to put on a back protector (which I did for the N4 due to its glass back). And I sold my Nexus 4 for $200, which means my upgrade ended up costing me only $245 (incl. shipping and taxes). Pretty good bargain if you ask me.

toilet-handle

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

came from a gs3 that had trouble charging and very poor battery life, even with a new battery would only last 4 hours, and then would gain battery after dying and restarting it, so something was going bad internally otherwise i would still be using my gs3 since i was very happy with it. Overall the n5 blows my gs3 out of the water in every way possible glad i decided to upgrade, but if my gs3 wasnt acting weird i would still be using it especially with the cm nightlies

1quick1

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

Samsung Note 2. I wanted off Verizon since it was so expensive. My plan with tmobile is cheaper with more data, no contract, JUMP (upgrade every 6 months) and I'm getting 14mb/s dl and 5-6mb/s up.

With that said I'm not convinced this phone is better.

Pros:
-The screen density and color is better. The Samsung really seemed to force bright colors to make things "pop" and this screen just seems much sharper, especially when reading emails since the text is usually jammed in pretty small.
-Full screen album art...noice!
-Verizon had me locked on 4.1.2 which infuriates me considering there are THREE major releases later. (phone nazis at Verizon which leads me to my next pro...)
-No bloatware, extremely delayed updates, and any other things controlling my device.
-build quality so far as good but likely better than the Note 2. I think the non-removable battery cover gives the phone a more solid feel.
-I don't need to run a 3rd party launch like Nolva Prime to get rid of crappy Sense, TouchWiz, or whatever the hell else they throw over Android these days

Cons:
-The camera is definitely not better or even as good as the Note 2. It's slower (both to open and snap shots), worse quality in all lighting, and a crazy slow focus/flash. I'm actually going to go out and say it's significantly worse IMO. (eagerly awaiting the update)
-The integrated SMS into Hangouts is terrible right now. I'm sure they'll update it. All it needs to do is be better at separating the two. I really like Google Hangouts but I use that 1% and text the other 99% and every time you try to do anything in it it's cramming Google Hangout's and video calls down your throat. I'm using Textra now and it's a very nice, clean app so far. I'll try Hangouts again as I really like it but when they improve the SMS integration.
-Why do I not getting number counters on my email/text/hangout icons? Every other Android/Apple I've had a little icon showing the number of new messages. This one doesn't appear to and I can't find a setting for that. So it's basically you look at your phone and the notification bar is your only indicator, otherwise you wouldn't know new messages are in there.
-it doesn't seem to allow me to sync my FB contacts. Not a big deal but I liked it as it updated the pictures in my contact list
-no eye detection to keep the phone from sleeping when starring at it
-non-removable battery/SD card (I knew this when I bought it but just pointing it out as it's a detractor in my particular comparison)
-battery life will need to be thoroughly tested but I was getting 36-48 hours average on the Note 2 with moderate usage (200 text, constant barrage of work emails, some Twitter'ing), and the real kicker 1-2 hours of Netflix a night.

All in all though I like the Nexus 5 better right now because it's new but that doesn't necessarily mean I feel it's a better phone. I think I'll need a month with it before I can say for sure. I also think it looks better in the matte black with the way the screen extending close to the edges with no raised borders.

Last edited:

nestafaria

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

I do feel like my battery was better on the DNA, however.

Really? My battery life destroys my old DNA. With that phone I was at 10% every night when I went to bed. Now I'm at about 40-45 which was similar to my s4 with 4.3.

Posted via Android Central App

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Really? My battery life destroys my old DNA. With that phone I was at 10% every night when I went to bed. Now I'm at about 40-45 which was similar to my s4 with 4.3.

It's very much just a "feeling". I think raw numbers would show that they're about the same, based on my personal usage.

I haven't installed BetterBatteryStats or anything like that to see the actual percentage loss per hour, so it's hard to say. Part of it also is due to the radio being slightly weaker than my DNA, so I am literally constantly switching between Edge, 3G, H+, and LTE all day at work. Sometimes I completely lose signal all together, but I feel like my DNA was able to hold onto H+ all day.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

It's very much just a "feeling". I think raw numbers would show that they're about the same, based on my personal usage.

I haven't installed BetterBatteryStats or anything like that to see the actual percentage loss per hour, so it's hard to say. Part of it also is due to the radio being slightly weaker than my DNA, so I am literally constantly switching between Edge, 3G, H+, and LTE all day at work. Sometimes I completely lose signal all together, but I feel like my DNA was able to hold onto H+ all day.

Maybe, or maybe it just wasn't alerting you very often of when it switched around.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Maybe, or maybe it just wasn't alerting you very often of when it switched around.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Well when I say it switches around, I mean that I can actually see the data connection type change just sitting on the table at my desk. When I am streaming a YouTube video, I can see it switch around as well, which results in the video stopping due to dropping to Edge, then losing data connection all together. On my DNA, it was still buggy (custom ROM and non-"native" T-Mobile device and all that) in reporting the connection, but I would have a solid data connection. It would show 3G when inactive, but when I started up a video, it would display HSPA+ and I have no issues with the video stopping due to loss in connection.

Not saying that the phone sucks, it's just very poor spot for T-Mobile in my area.

Amorican23

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

Htc one. If they better the battery and camera on next htc phone i may go back. N5 is a pretty dope phone however.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I came from a Rooted GS3 and had run several different ROM's... It was rooted within a week of getting it.... At first I hated the physical "HOME" button on the GS3 and at first and even from time to time I miss it. I thought the power/volume buttons and the GS3 were better positioned... but then again with the physical home button the power button was only to turn it off.. All the time when I power my N5 on I am also holding down the volume down rocker and accidentally turn the volume off all the time. I've had to adjust how I power it up and off to make sure my hand isn't hitting that volume rocker.... Outside of that not much I miss... The GS3 had better battery life with certain ROM's and worse with others. The N5 seems to be a happy medium when it comes to battery life.

macguy59

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site

I have a gold iPhone 5S. Google does a good job of making one feel like they are missing the party by not having a Google device. So I bit on a Nexus 5 (black). From a hardware perspective it's a great phone (craptastic speaker not withstanding). Very nice display and I actually like the grippy feeling case. But sadly I can't get past Android OS. There are things I like about it. Notifications, integrated Google Now, an app drawer instead of endless pages of apps, etc. For the life of me I just can't type on Android keyboards. I've tried 4 different ones. All the same. I easily make 3 times the number of errors as I do on the iOS keyboard. I also miss iMessages (surprisingly). I guess Google Hangouts is Android version of it but it's just not the same. I'm going to give the Nexus 5 the rest of the week but I'm going back to my 5S. On a side note, I don't find the camera to be as bad as some make it out to be. The 4.4.1 update hasn't hit it yet but it still takes pretty darn good photo's.

sp0r412

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

Have you rooted your phone and tried a custom Rom? If you don't know what I mean forget about it.
Android really is better, I've experienced both. As far as your keyboard try Swype by Nuance or swiftkey. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk

macguy59

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site

Didn't need to root it. Free wifi tether worked out of the box for some reason (my only reason to root). I like the clean Google experience. My current phone is an HTC One Google Play edition. Love it. I was excited about the Galaxy S5 until they unveiled it today (more like the S4.1). Maybe the new HTC M8 (new One) will excite me.

sp0r412

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

Yea HTC and android always seemed to goo together like peanut butter and jelly. Maybe I'll give them a try next.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk

Caleb Pelton

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

I came from an iPhone 5. I wanted a bigger higher resolution display and unlocked phone. I'm loving the N5. That said, there are some features I miss. Namely imessage, face time, and the visual VM. The decision to go back will be determined by what apple puts out next. Until they increase the screen and increase to 1080p I'm here. Either way, I'm not going anywhere until the wheels fall off this amazing device.