Nexus 5 Google Play vs T-Mobile version what is the difference?

retrolike

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Quick question for you android folks. Is there a difference between the Nexus 5 sold by Google vs the Nexus 5 that T-Mobile sells? I found a guy on craigslist that is selling his T-Mobile Nexus 5 for $300 and I'm interested. However, I'm hoping its identical to the one sold by Google. I'm an AT&T customer and I would want it to work on their network and get the updates from Google easily. I'm brand new to android (been an iOS user since 2007). I would appreciate your help, thanks in advance.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Google Play vs T-Mobile version

There is only one version sold in North America (other than different storage sizes). Play store, Sprint and T-Mobile all sell the same exact phone.

retrolike

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the help. I'm an iOS user since 2007 that is trying to make the switch to android for the 3rd time. We'll see how this goes.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the help. I'm an iOS user since 2007 that is trying to make the switch to android for the 3rd time. We'll see how this goes.

Just be smart and hang on to your iphone until you are 100% sure. There is nothing worse than jumping the gun and selling your old phone and wishing you had it back.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Just be smart and hang on to your iphone until you are 100% sure. There is nothing worse than jumping the gun and selling your old phone and wishing you had it back.

This. I saved my iPhone and after using the Nexus 4 fir nearly a year, I'm going back to iOS and bought a 5S a few weeks ago. Now if only I could sell my Nexus 4. I'm noticing people are having to lower the price to at least $150 or less to sell. Such a loss. I sold a 4S for $300 a few weeks ago and that paid for my 5S.

I'll wait and see what next years Nexus offers.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

This. I saved my iPhone and after using the Nexus 4 fir nearly a year, I'm going back to iOS and bought a 5S a few weeks ago. Now if only I could sell my Nexus 4. I'm noticing people are having to lower the price to at least $150 or less to sell. Such a loss. I sold a 4S for $300 a few weeks ago and that paid for my 5S.

$150 is good for a nexus 4 considering they were $199 right before they went out of stock.

retrolike

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

The Nexus 5 my post was about is on craigslist and he's willing to sell it for $275. Is there an easy way for me to know if it has any water damage? I'm guessing $275 is a good deal.

- - - Updated - - -

NexusGirl is going to an iPhone...crap...whats NexusGuy gonna do?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

There is only one version sold in North America (other than different storage sizes). Play store, Sprint and T-Mobile all sell the same exact phone.

Does Sprint lock the phone under contract to Sprint? I can buy a iPhone either locked or unlocked but you need to make sure it is unlocked since it is illegal to unlock a phone without a carrier's permission.

So does this mean that it's illegal to unlock a smartphone?

The law does not preclude you from getting your smartphone unlocked. What it does potentially prevent is you being able to get your phone unlocked without your carrier's permission.
What the DMCA cell phone unlock ban means to you (FAQ) | Mobile - CNET News

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

The Nexus 4 also was sold new for as low as $199 from the Play Store in 2013. You paid about $600 for that iPhone 4S through being over charged by your Service carrier so the Nexus 4 was still better value since you lost $300 in value with the 4S. BTW, you can't buy a 5S for $300 so all you have done is got a new 2 year contract where you are being over charged every month of service to pay for that subsidized 5S. Go ahead and cancel that service contract to move to a cheaper services provider and see the real cost of that 5S.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

The Nexus 4 also was sold new for as low as $199 from the Play Store in 2013. You paid about $600 for that iPhone 4S through being over charged by your Service carrier so the Nexus 4 was still better value since you lost $300 in value with the 4S. BTW, you can't buy a 5S for $300 so all you have done is got a new 2 year contract where you are being over charged every month of service to pay for that subsidized 5S. Go ahead and cancel that service contract to move to a cheaper services provider and see the real cost of that 5S.

I bought my 5S full price and am using it on the $30 plan on T-Mobile. I refuse to be locked into any contracts. The 4S paid for at least half of the 5S.

retrolike

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

I'm new to this forum and don't agree with your math...correct me if I'm wrong. I know I'm paying more with AT&T then a cheaper provider like you mentioned. However this is issue...I use about 4-5 gb of data per month. I am on the grandfathered "unlimited" data plan w AT&T. I also use a lot of minutes. What cheaper option would you recommend to me?

Last edited:

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Does Sprint lock the phone under contract to Sprint? I can buy a iPhone either locked or unlocked but you need to make sure it is unlocked since it is illegal to unlock a phone without a carrier's permission.

There is no such thing as carrier locked Nexus 5. For half the retail price of a typical high end smartphones, Sprint and T-Mobile can afford you to use it elsewhere. They can still charge you for early termination fee if you do bail on the contract and you end up paying way more than retail price.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site

I understood that the T-Mobile version has the wifi calling app unique to tmobile phones. I do not know if this is true, or if it is the only difference between a tmobile version, and a play store version.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site

No, it doesn't have such feature.

I read that it did on what I consider a pretty reputable publication, but have not checked first hand. You sound pretty positive about this, so I am happy to take your word for it.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

I'm new to this forum and don't agree with your math...correct me if I'm wrong. I know I'm paying more with AT&T then a cheaper provider like you mentioned. However this is issue...I use about 4-5 gb of data per month. I am on the grandfathered "unlimited" data plan w AT&T. I also use a lot of minutes. What cheaper option would you recommend to me?

I don't think there is a better option for you unless you get good T-Mobile service where you live.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

You could try Aio Wireless. They use AT&Ts network (as they are owned by AT&T), offer unlimited text/talk with 2GB of LTE data (LTE is limited to 8Mbps though the limit keeps rising) for $55. After you hit your 2GB limit you are only throttled to 3G for the rest of the month for as much data as you need which should still be plenty fast. You can add 1GB LTE/HSPA+ a month for $10 or move up to their $70 7GB plan. No contracts and taxes/fees/etc are already included in the rate. If you activate over the Internet there are no activation fees other than the 10$ charge for the SD card. Though unless it's a lot cheaper than what you are paying I would stick with the grandfathered unlimited LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa