McLaren; Is the dialer made by OnePlus?, and anyone have a McLaren and Mint Mobile?

EndRacism

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
UPDATE: Have since learned there are two Unlocks?!?! I specifically asked to have the Phone Unlocked. They had me Unlock the sim card/network. Is this a recent thing? Anyway after seeking a supervisor at OnePlus customer service and massive threats by me, they finally coughed up that there was apparently a secret web site to quest an actual Phone Unlock! Which is tedious and complicated and I pity anyone not having a good understanding of PC command land use, fastboot for PC and getting into fastboot mode on phone. But I now have a really unlocked phone as well as unlocked network. Friday I get a new Mint Mobile sim card and fingers crossed it will function. https://support.oneplus.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/588

McLaren; Is the dialer made by OnePlus?, and anyone have a McLaren and Mint Mobile?

Trying for two months to solve a problem that Mint nor T-Mobile customer service can solve. All three of us have tried everything 2-3 times, Every thing!

Of course I had to buy a new McLaren only through T-Mobile. I ran several months on T-Mobiles Pre-Paid plane and the phone operated flawlessly.

As soon as I could Unlock, I went back to Mint Mobile as it is my favorite and very affordable. Mint is; "Mint Mobile An Overview. Mint SIM was launched in 2016 by Ultra Mobile.. Ultra Mobile is an MVNO of T-Mobile and thus it runs on T-Mobile's network and consequently so does Mint Mobile. In May of 2018, Mint SIM re-branded as Mint Mobile."

I've used Mint for years, my wife use them too for past two years on her Pixel XL.

Anyway, After unlocking I popped in the Mint Sim only to find all incoming calls were being sent directly to Voice Mail and most Texts came back as unsendable!

Now the weird thing is I took the same Mint sim and inserted it into my old Pixel XL and it worked fine!

So now you'd think, well, OK, there is something wrong with the McLaren. Not so fast partners! I had no alternative but go back to T-Mobile Pre-Paid hoping it would work. And work it did, as the phone works flawlessly once agin but back on T-Mobile.

I've done searches on this and it is happening on all brands of phones and different carriers including iPhones!!!!

Sooo, I'm staying on T-Mobile but losing my azz at $15 for 2GB that shuts off as soon as it reaches the 2GB data. Shuts off data until next month! No it doesn't slow down data, it shuts it off. On Mint I get 8GB per month for $20!

So I want to know if there is anyone else here in USA with a McLaren themed phone which works on Mint Mobile. And I'm also trying to teach myself with ya'll's help, how the dialer, voice mail work together to determine when to go to VM. ANd I've checked Airplane, Do Not Disturb and scheduled On times, all the obvious stuff. I can make adjustments and get it to ring a few times before defaulting back to straight to VM, but when I do get it to ring the few times, it will stop as soon as I turn off screen.

I'm thinking the dialer is made by OnePlus but there is no made by so and so info. I assume I can download Android dialer?

If anyone is an engineer and knows what's going on in the background it would be super appreciated!

Yes phone is unlocked but once after doing one of many wipes, it came back as Locked! and went in to process the permanent unlocked again, WTF!!!

But yes, dear gawd, I have tried all the obvious and Mint and T-Mobile customer service have worked this to death.

Last edited:

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Here is a suggestion: Compare the APN on the Pixel with the Mint SIM with the APN on the OnePlus with the Mint SIM.

EndRacism

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
Mint has a page with APN settings, even without the specific Mint APN set up the phones historically will work fine being on T-Mobile APN.

EndRacism

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
even without the specific Mint APN set up the phones historically will work fine being on T-Mobile APN. Been on Mint Mobile many years and always used Google and or Pixel or T-Mobile GSM phones, but yes, APN is correct for Mint.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
With the Mint SIM, are you able to access the web normally on mobile data? Is it only phone calls that are acting strangely? Does this also happen in Safe Mode? https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/android/oneplus-7-pro/safe-mode-oneplus-7-pro

T-Mobile SIMs have been known to automatically carrier-lock some phones, most notably iPhones. I don't know if that's intentional or not. I've never tested it on my Pixel 3 XL because I've never switched away from T-Mobile ever since I started with them!

EndRacism

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
HEY BD: I just now responded to an email from OnePlus Support as follows;

"With phone in Safe Mode, inserted the Mint sim, Here are my findings; when WiFi Calling is ON, incoming calls come through with screen on and after phone goes to sleep. When WiFi Calling is OFF, is when the issue happens, Just after switching WiFi Calling OFF, and carrier is active it will rings once then stop, or it will ring a few times, but in this set up and after the phone goes to sleep it will not wake up to answer phone.
Summary: With WiFi Calling active it works, With only Carrier Active and WiFi calling off, the phone will not wake up to answer and when screen is on it may answer but then stops and won't repeat.

THEN with Safe Mode OFF; Nothing worked! Neither WiFi Calling nor carrier would accept calls, didn't ring, with screen on or in sleep it didn't matter, went straight to voice mail. Tried it with just WiFi Calling on and carrier off and with Just carrier on and Wifi off, nothing worked.

PS: I've wiped the phone several times, without adding apps and still acted up. FYI: I do not have a Google Acct, so did not activate any thing Google while setting up phone after wipe. Also deleted EVERYTHING during wipe.

Kindly help us with the following details to isolate the root cause of the issue.

Is your device updated to the latest software version? (you can check it under Settings > About Phones > OxygenOS version) YES
Since when are you facing this issue? Or When did this issue begin happening? IT ONLY HAPPENS WHEN I USE MINT MOBILE SIM
Has it been occurring consistently, or does it happen on and off? ITS CONSISTANT
Did you install any updates or apps before the issue? NO
Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to try and fix the issue? YES, AFTER MASSIVE COMM WITH BOTH TMOBILE AND MINT CUSTSERV
Just wanted to confirm if the device has fallen on the floor or has experienced any shock or incurred physical or liquid damage? IT FELL TO FLOOR 3 MONTH BEFORE GOING TO MINT SIM, IT WAS IN A RINGKEY CASE and fell and carpet, BUT THERE WAS NO DAMAGE

We also suggest you to follow these below steps to fix the issue.

Insert the different carrier sim in the device and check if the issue still persists? I"VE DONE THIS MANY TIMES AND WHEN MINT SIM IS IN PIXEL XL IT WORKS FLAWLESSLY
Interchange the sim between slots. DON"T KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS
Helps us the Build Number. 10.0.37.HD61CB"

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interchange the sim between slots. DON"T KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS

They mean to change the SIM to the 2nd SIM slot (I believe the McLaren is a dual SIM phone).

Are there any T-Mobile apps on the phone? Or do you use any spam call blockers like TrueCaller?

EndRacism

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
The dual SIM thing I'll look into but bottom line is, a T-Mobile SIM works and a Mint Mobile SIM doesn't. The mint Mobile SIM works in my pixel.
There is the T no account app that doesn't work because I'm on prepaid and a Tmo app for VVM. I don't use any third party apps to control phone functions, I have same apps on the pixel.

No Go on dual sim, I think that's India only, it almost looks like it on the tray, I tried it, too thick, the back of tray is a blank, and not a mirror image of front, no chopped corner, too shallow, making the over all sims and tray too thick to insert.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
See if you can uninstall those T-Mobile apps, in case they're causing some of the interference. If you can't uninstall them, then see if you can Disable them in Settings>Apps​.