Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default WiFi QR Codes

    Hi,

    Anyone get WiFi QR codes to work on their Nexus 5?

    I've tried creating them for my WiFi SSID with two apps (QR Droid and Wifi QR Code Generator) but both codes fail to work when I scan them (using either the built-in scanner in QR Droid or Barcode Scanner) and hit connect to network.

    QR Droid just says sorry could not add network and Barcode Scanner acts like it's adding it/connecting to it but nothing happens. And I've tried on two different Nexus 5s.

    Thanks,

    ->g.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: WiFi QR Codes

    Maybe turn the security off on your Wi-Fi

    Posted via Android Central App
  3. #3  

    Default Re: WiFi QR Codes

    I'd like to know more about what exactly you are trying to do with your QR code; could you possibly map it out for me?

    As to the exact problem, I would not be surprised if you are running up against a limitation of KitKat; many previously accessible functions are now blocked to apps...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: WiFi QR Codes

    Quote Originally Posted by Shocktribe View Post
    Maybe turn the security off on your Wi-Fi

    Posted via Android Central App
    That would defeat the purpose of the QR code in the first place. They are supposed to work with passwords anyway. There's a filed for security type and password when you generate it.

    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    I'd like to know more about what exactly you are trying to do with your QR code; could you possibly map it out for me?
    Convenience. I can just have guests scan the code off my phone and they are all set. No need to dictate the code to them or enter if for them.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: WiFi QR Codes

    Quote Originally Posted by glc650 View Post
    That would defeat the purpose of the QR code in the first place. They are supposed to work with passwords anyway. There's a filed for security type and password when you generate it.

    Convenience. I can just have guests scan the code off my phone and they are all set. No need to dictate the code to them or enter if for them.
    Have you had a guest try scanning the QR code with his/her phone? Does it work on non-KitKat phones?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: WiFi QR Codes

    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Have you had a guest try scanning the QR code with his/her phone? Does it work on non-KitKat phones?
    Haven't tried with non-kit kat phone yet. If I get the chance to over the holidays I will.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: WiFi QR Codes

    Using WPS would be easier than QR codes and wider compatibility. Most devices today support WPS out of box (including N5). However, it does not resolve the security problem. If your guest has a laptop that was compromised with malware or virus, it could infect all the PCs in your LAN.

    So, I never let guests use my protected LAN/WiFi. Instead, I use the guest wifi network with no passcode but turn on wifi isolation so that guests can only access internet, not any of my LAN resources. Most modern wifi routers have this feature built-in.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: WiFi QR Codes

    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    Using WPS would be easier than QR codes and wider compatibility. Most devices today support WPS out of box (including N5). However, it does not resolve the security problem. If your guest has a laptop that was compromised with malware or virus, it could infect all the PCs in your LAN.
    Don't really have any guests with laptops, just tablets and phones.

    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    So, I never let guests use my protected LAN/WiFi. Instead, I use the guest wifi network with no passcode but turn on wifi isolation so that guests can only access internet, not any of my LAN resources. Most modern wifi routers have this feature built-in.
    Only problem with this is anyone in the neighborhood can use my Internet connection then unless I remember to turn off guess access but even then people besides my guests can use it while it is on.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: WiFi QR Codes

    Quote Originally Posted by glc650 View Post
    Hi,

    Anyone get WiFi QR codes to work on their Nexus 5?

    I've tried creating them for my WiFi SSID with two apps (QR Droid and Wifi QR Code Generator) but both codes fail to work when I scan them (using either the built-in scanner in QR Droid or Barcode Scanner) and hit connect to network.

    QR Droid just says sorry could not add network and Barcode Scanner acts like it's adding it/connecting to it but nothing happens. And I've tried on two different Nexus 5s.

    Thanks,

    ->g.
    sorry,what's wifi qr code ? i never touch such a thing .just know qr code ,no wifi
  10. #10  

    Default Re: WiFi QR Codes

    Hey, what do you mean by "Wifi QR Code", I only know QR Code and Micro QR Code. Here's a barcode generator which can create one.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: WiFi QR Codes

    QR code can be used to represent a URL or text string. Hence you can generate a QR code to represent your wifi passcode. With specialized apps OP mentioned, these apps can scan such QR code and use the recognized text string as wifi passcode to create new wifi connections automatically. The problem is KitKat probably changed or removed the wifi API these apps rely on to create connection entries.
    Thanked by:
  12. #12  

    Default Re: WiFi QR Codes

    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    QR code can be used to represent a URL or text string. Hence you can generate a QR code to represent your wifi passcode. With specialized apps OP mentioned, these apps can scan such QR code and use the recognized text string as wifi passcode to create new wifi connections automatically. The problem is KitKat probably changed or removed the wifi API these apps rely on to create connection entries.
    wow, this is interesting to me at least !
  13. #13  

    Default Re: WiFi QR Codes

    I have a WiFi QR code working in my guest room. Android users can scan it and join my network while Apple users can scan it, but they have to copy and paste the information into their network settings. It is still easier than me telling them the information. I have had no issues with any scanning apps or versions of Android or iOS. I recommend looking at how you generated your WiFi QR code. How did you generate it?

    Update: I used a website to generate mine. I did it awhile ago, so I'm not 100% sure which one, but there are many available. Yes, I understand the security risk of giving that information to a website; however, I have other security things in place that I accepted this risk.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: WiFi QR Codes

    If you want to use a website service for this, and is worried about some unethical indexing of your information:

    Change your SSID. Some ISP routers have auto-generated and indexed SSIDs.
    Use another internet connection when connecting to the website (eg. your phone's wifi hotspot). This way the route and IP cannot be traced back to the actual router in question.

    Might be considered overkill, but these are simple steps for those that worry.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: WiFi QR Codes

    Do you know this apps? 4MoWi developer Google play. This app (QR WiFi) could be useful to anyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WiFi QR Codes-1_qrwifi_en.jpg  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2014, 06:03 PM
  2. Moto X - just ordered using the Today Show promo code
    By captainkirkw in forum Moto X (2013)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-27-2013, 09:34 PM
  3. New OS update doesn't let me send MMS via wifi!
    By BlackberryFan2009 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-24-2013, 12:13 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2013, 04:32 AM
  5. EXTREME Galaxy s4 lock screen & WIFI probs
    By homura in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2013, 10:34 AM

Posting Permissions